PSI settings

barneyadi

Hi All

Finally decided to try my airbrush. Got some Ultimate primer. Tried at 20psi but didnt work, so upped the psi to 30 and seems to be working fine. From a paint point a view i will be using revell aqua color. Does anyone know the best psi for this paint?

Cheers

It depends very much on your airbrush. There’s a vast difference between the amount of airflow through my Iwata HP-BCS and trusty old Badger 200 at the same pressure from the compressor. I think Ultimate Primer is the same as Stynylrez, which is great but in my experience does need a good blast to get it moving. If 30 works in your airbrush for the primer, then I’d try 20 for properly thinned Revell Aqua. I’d experiment on some paper… see how low you can go and still get proper atomisation (not sputtering)…

best,

M.

3 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

It depends very much on your airbrush. There’s a vast difference between the amount of airflow through my Iwata HP-BCS and trusty old Badger 200 at the same pressure from the compressor. I think Ultimate Primer is the same as Stynylrez, which is great but in my experience does need a good blast to get it moving. If 30 works in your airbrush for the primer, then I’d try 20 for properly thinned Revell Aqua. I’d experiment on some paper… see how low you can go and still get proper atomisation (not sputtering)…

best,

M.

Ok, that answers a question about the Stynylrez, was sputtering at 20 psi and bottle suggests 20 -40psi so obviously 20 psi was too low. Will give 15 to 20psi a go for the revell aqua color. 

Cheers