Official Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind advertisement

Since I saw this, I am looking for the right term. I don't get it; it's not really sexist, not really "unprofessional", nor "inapprobriate". Not like the Eduard ad recently, the one with the ME109, that was all of that, but this...

Wait, give me a sec, it pops straight up now; 

Got it:  it's CHEESY! That's the definition of it, cheesiness!

I love their kits, but I don't consider myself a target audience for that ad. Nor anyone of this forum (it says "adult" somewhere)...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It does seem rather anachronistic. I remember when the Airfix Supermodel* advert came out in the 90s (?) and thinking it seemed outdated even then.

*I'm sure someone in the marketing department thought they were being clever, but I don't think it's one of the company's finer moments.

46 minutes ago, europapete said:

Which type of models are you refering to? 

Work on the principal that both are to expensive.😂😂

• Haha 2

It's an odd one this and I'm trying to make sure that what I think doesn't say more about me than the video.

She's appeared twice that I know of. Maybe she works at Special Hobby. Great if she does. Maybe she just likes wearing pretty clothes. Again, great if she does. It's entirely possible she made the model - @Stew Dapple and I have certainly had younger female customers at trade shows. The fan blowing her hair was a bit of a cheesy touch and the camera and/or editing focusing on her body seemed to detract from rather than add to the video. I'm not a very serious person and tend to take a dislike to people who lack the mental ability to take things light-heartedly, so I'm certainly not offended by the video.

If anything makes me less than comfortable when attractive women appear in this hobby it's some the sinister-creepy male reactions to be honest, which tends to follow a theme of being pathologically incapable of not commenting on her appearance.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Coors54 said:

Can you imagine what the girl must have said and thought when asked to do that? A toy plane? Go on, really?

When you said "modelling"... I thought you meant...  :rofl:

Edited by RichG
  • Haha 2

Hi

Well i think it is good advertising

on this thread it has 757 views and two pages so far 

and we are talking about it 

what a sales team tries to achieve 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Sorry, is is 2021 or 1981?  

2021 obviously. They’d never have panel lines that good back in 1981

Oh you mean the advert using a model model lady?  Oops sorry

More seriously part of me wonders if the advert is more a wee bit of a wind up come poking fun at that genre of advertising. Or maybe not. Oh well it makes for a different type of discussion on here and a change from  how many rivets???

• Like 1

Nothing wrong in appealing to red blooded males,...... even Airfix did it in the 90`s with the lass wearing a silver dress, holding a model. Well I appreciate good lines,.... be they female or aeronautic.  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

Sorry, is is 2021 or 1981?  

I see nothing that is unappropriate in this advertisements.Yesterday a German TV channel showed parts of a entertainement programme from 1978.It would cause outrage today but at that time people laughed about it.

In Germany we have a saying "Man muss die Kirche auch mal im Dorf lassen" which more or less means people should not take everything so seriously.🙂

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Like 6

I've just told the wife  that I have  a new Special Hobby .  Not the sort of thing you can put under your arm when you walk in the house  and say ....Look what I won in the Raffle.

As an aside ....If she exploded would you call her a Blonde Bomb Shell.

Dick

Just off to have my meds.

:whistle:

Edited by jenko
  • Haha 2

Golly gosh - using attractive women to sell aircraft related stuff. Who would have thought of that?

51296457429_ea28b779ac_h.jpg

51294996067_57ff4556e3_h.jpg

51294996112_6d02d2c9b0_b.jpg

51296457544_225830ba5c_h.jpg

I wrote a scholarly article on reference material, where to find it and how to use it for our late lamented local model magazine, Modelart. I wanted to have a bet that my cover picture of a very attractive librarian in her modest uniform with a selection of reference books would lead to that issue having the best ever sales of the magazine but the Editor would not come to the party. I guess he didn't want to lose his wager!

• Like 2

One of the model railway traders uses an attractive young woman in his adverts.  It does catch the eye, but I've never had reason to  buy anything from him (or her) and he doesn't seem to have risen any higher in the hobby hierarchy (judging from the size of the advert) so I suspect it does no more than that.

• 9 months later...

I'm not in figures but In which scale will SH produce her? I'm tempted.

Oh, that was about the 1/32 Whirlwind. Sorry, I didn't note it. And I DO like the Whirlwind a lot (*).

(*) Proof that - in my personal case at least - such ads won't help them build their business. 🤣