1/43 Chaparral 2F, Brands Hatch 1967

Here is my most recently completed model, the Chaparral 2F as seen at the BOAC 500 race at Brands Hatch in 1967.

spacer.png

It is the Provence Moulage resin kit, with a few corrections and alterations to portray the Brands Hatch winner.

The wing chord was too short, so I increased it with a strip of plastic card, and the wing struts were beefed up at the same time.  The rear panel was modified/corrected with card and wire, and I added the 24 Dzus fasteners (by Renaissance) to the body panels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Paint is Humbrol enamels throughout.  The kit decals had been damaged somehow and did not want to separate from the backing sheet, so I substituted items by Marsh, Virage and Patto.

spacer.png

Other than the decals, it was a straight forward build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 13

Very nice too.  I was there, and took considerable pleasure at Phil Hill's victory - his last in serious competition, I believe.  (Must mention Mike Spence too.)  However I did suffer from split loyalties with Chris Amon and Jackie Stewart sharing a beautiful Ferrari 330P4.  I also remember Jo Siffert in a much less powerful Porsche doing his best to get and stay among the red cars.   I recently found a website with photos of very nearly every entrant, and a fascinating collection it was too!  Sadly I don't remember taking any notice at all of the vast majority at the time.

• Like 1

Thanks very much. Sadly, I didn't get to the race and thus missed my only chance to see the 2F in action.  Still, one of the most fabulous race cars ever, IMHO.

Trevor

That's another stunning build Trevor, beautifully clean work! Don't you worry about the Humbrol white yellowing over time though? I remember having airliner and car models back when I used the stuff looking like they'd been living with a 60 a day smoker after a few years.... (and I've never smoked!)

Keith

• Sad 1

Cheers Keith.

I use mostly use Humbrol enamels on my models, and occasionally Revell enamels, depending on the model.  I prefer Humbrol white (Humbrol 22) for the Chaparrals as it is, as you say, slightly yellow/ivory which IMHO replicates the colour well.  For other white cars, such as sixties Porsches, I use Revell white (Revell 04) which is a purer white, more like appliance white.  However, I've found that Humbrol varnish yellows with time, so I don't usually apply a varnish coat, but I use acrylic varnish when varnishing is necessary.

Trevor

• Like 2

It's really really good Trevor,the dzus fasteners are a great idea too. I didn't go to this race but I definitely went the following year! 

And you're keeping the 1/43 end up too.Chris.

Thanks very much guys!  The Dzus fasteners are really fiddly to deal with, but worth the effort.  God bless the likes of Renaissance for producing such great little details.

Trevor

• Like 1