1/48 Hasegawa F-16B, Danish Air Force +++Finished+++

First of all: I am not a F-16 expert, so all advices are welcome!

Since I like two-seaters, my plan is to build a RDAF F-16B using the Hasegawa F-16D kit. As far as I have found out, the main visual difference between the B and D versions is the fin. Luckily, I have a correct fin left over from an early F-16A build. When I bought the kit, an Aires cockpit set was included. However, it was for the Kinetic kit, but I hope that it will fit. I also ordered decals from Stoppel Hobby, sadly now leaving the business. I ordered the decals for an early version, but recieved the late-style markings (but with the early-style instructions...). But I think that I can use the kit stencils, I have figured out that the rest is the same for both styles of markings. 

51291002506_57c65669fc_c.jpg

As you already might have figured out, this will be a "close enough" build... :D But let's start anyway!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7

Started this one yesterday. First challenge was to get a proper fit for the Aires cockpit. I feared that this moment would be trickier than usual, since it is made for the Kinetic F-16. But although the words "Aires", "Kinetic" and "good fit" in the same sentence is extremely rarely seen, the cockpit actually did fit properly! Amazing! The Hasegawa impact must be enormous! :D After a dry-fit, next step will be to paint it.

51293942784_0e5351bdbd_c.jpg

• Like 1

welcome along with what sounds an interesting project.

I'm not the expert one the F-16 differences, but to back-date to a B model, yes the tail is different, the B's used the P&W engines so had the smaller intakes (they should be included), the gun port fairing is a bit different. Plus the cockpit IP is different, the D's had a different layout. It might be best to save the Aires one (and save the headaches of trying to get it to fit as well!!!) for another project. 

But it is quite doable....... and to be honest only a train/plane spotter would be able to tell the difference! :D

Good luck with it, will be looking out for a start on August sometime.

• Like 1

Thanks! Yes, regarding the cockpit, it looks as if the main difference is the rear instrument panel coaming. So I'd better use the kit part here. The difference in the front instrument panel is rather small, so I think the Aires one will do here, due to the "good enough" rule. :) Another difference is the exhaust, but the early one is included in the kit. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Catching up with this one... Cockpit painted, apart from the seats (I always leave them to the last, then wishing I had not. ;) )

51370366282_5f385d4741_c.jpg

Dry fitting, and cutting the flaps:

51371857134_70d7e8cc1b_c.jpg

And after assembly. The air intake is a challenge, the rest pretty good.

51371349588_76b0b52807_c.jpg

Then I glued the flaps in drooped position. Soon it is time for primer. However, since I have so many other projects on the workbench right now, I wish there was more time left on this GB... 

51371349558_12f1244bb7_c.jpg

• Like 2

gee that cockpit looks amazing, well done!!!  :thumbsup:

Mmm that bit is upside down, you're not the first to be caught out by it. Luckily it's reasonably simple process to correct....though it will need a saw!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/08/2021 at 05:14, trickyrich said:

gee that cockpit looks amazing, well done!!!  :thumbsup:

Mmm that bit is upside down, you're not the first to be caught out by it. Luckily it's reasonably simple process to correct....though it will need a saw!

Too late, I missed your comment, and now it is painted. Fixing it now will probably give an even worse result. So I have to live with that... 

And as you can see, now I'm back! I have been stuck in two huge 1/72 airliner builds. But I will try to finish this before this GB ends. First some pre-shading:

51419160498_c5cafbd7c5_c.jpg

And then the camouflage:

51419886845_8c3c379c6c_c.jpg

I was not fully satisfied with the result. The demarcation line between the dark and light gray was a little too far back, and the pre-shading was a little too visible. So here it is after additional painting and i coat of Johnsons Pledge:

51419675324_fbdf66d657_c.jpg

• Like 4

Gosh she looks nice, great paint job and faded look! :thumbsup:

That pre-shading certainly gave that finish a the perfect uneven look, well done.

To be honest unless you know the aircraft to sqn details (which the vast majority of us don't) then no one will even know that tailpipe isn't right. And at that stage it probably was the right thing to leave well enough alone, it really won't effect the quality of this build one bit...... which I must say is awesome!!! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Gosh she looks nice, great paint job and faded look! :thumbsup:

That pre-shading certainly gave that finish a the perfect uneven look, well done.

To be honest unless you know the aircraft to sqn details (which the vast majority of us don't) then no one will even know that tailpipe isn't right. And at that stage it probably was the right thing to leave well enough alone, it really won't effect the quality of this build one bit...... which I must say is awesome!!! 

Thanks! :) Actually, although I am not an F-16 expert at all, a few years ago I built a Norwegian F-16A using the 1/48 Hasegawa kit. Looking closer at that one now, I noticed that I did exactly the same mistake then! But now I know for my next build. It seems as if I will be an expert on F-16 tailpipes at least. ;)

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Decals on! I used a mix of Stoppel Decals and stencils from the kit sheet (see my first post for an explanation why I did that). I have used a number of Stoppel sheets before, and have had some silvering problems. This time however, they were trouble-free, much thinner than the Hasegawa decals.

As you might see, I managed to break the right one of the front seat rails. This is the second time I did that during this build. The rear right one is already replaced by a scratch-built one, since both of them decided to disappear immediately.

51428732266_0759ff8d2a_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 5

First steps of weathering finished and a coat of matt varnish applied. Seats are just dry-fitted, I will add seatbelts. But now, just landing gears (already painted), a few cockpit details  and further weathering remain. So I have good hope to finish it before this GB ends. :)

51478613038_ea113dcaa6_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 6

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa F-16B, Danish Air Force +++Finished+++

Well done, you deserve a nice cold one for producing a lovely looking model! :thumbsup:

I love the finish on this one, it juts looks "right"! A well used aircraft just like you see in the photos very nicely done.

Hope you enjoyed the build, was great to follow, so now enjoy your well earned drink.

• Thanks 1