Authentic Airlines Convair CV-440 Metropolitan in 1/144

I decided to model the Authentic Airlines 1/144 Convair CV-440 Metropolitan in the Finnish Karhumäki Airlines' livery. 

In the early 1950's the three Karhumäki brothers founded an airline called Karhumäki Airlines or Kar-Air. The company first operated four DC-3's followed later by two brand new Convair CV-440 Metropolitans. Kar-Air's operations consisted of chartered holiday flights and scheduled domestic traffic and for a long time they were the biggest competitor of Finnair. Later their fleet further grew with a DC-6B, a DC-8-51, an Airbus A300 and ATR 72s. Eventually, Kar-Air were taken over by Finnair in 1996.

BTW, if you ever happen to fly to Málaga airport in Spain you could pop into the next door aviation museum. Among other interesting things there is on display a CV-440 Metropolitan painted in Kar-Air's livery (that's probably because Kar-Air's Convair Metropolitan reg. OH-VKN was the very first airliner to land at the inauguration of the new Málaga civilian airport in October, 1959).

There were no difficulties in building the kit. Since AA do not include any instructions in their kits I had to dig up info from the net concerning the positioning of the multiple photoetch details. I also scratch built a lot of additional details to the model. My wife also contributed to the construction by giving me a strand of her hair for the antenna wire :)  I also had to drill a deep hole in the resin tip of the fuselage and fill it with a lot of weight (lead fish sinkers) to prevent the plane from being a tail sitter. The hole was then closed with a separate radar dome. The kit includes long and short domes as separate parts. The excellent Kar-Air decals I ordered from the Finnish company Arctic Decals.

As usual, I painted the upper fuselage with white Tamiya Fine Surface Primer which was then sprayed with Tamiya Clear gloss rattle can varnish. The metal parts were covered with Alclad white aluminium. For the smaller details I also used Humbrol enamels and Vallejo acrylic colours.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Convair CV-440 Metroplitan in Kar-Air's livery at the Málaga aviation museum. Actually it's not the very plane, reg. OH-VKN that was the first to land at the newly inaugurated civillian airport. Additionally, the radar dome is not of the right shape, it's too pointed. When visiting the museum I was, however, told that a correct shaped long nose is under construction.

Edited by Einar
Typo
  • Like 19

9 minutes ago, DennisTheBear said:

Beautiful work there @Einar! Wonder if anyone makes a kit of this in 1/72?

DennisTheBear

Thank Dennis! 

For instance Mach2 have a CV-440 in 1/72

Cheers,

Einar

Just now, Wulfman said:

A beautiful build, I love the old Convairs !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman!..so do I😀

Einar

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing another beauty Einar. 

I have a Roden kit partly built and I'm not really impressed with it. It's definitely not one of their better efforts. If Kurt did another run of his Convairs I might be tempted after seeing yours but I don't suppose that's likely.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks for sharing another beauty Einar. 

I have a Roden kit partly built and I'm not really impressed with it. It's definitely not one of their better efforts. If Kurt did another run of his Convairs I might be tempted after seeing yours but I don't suppose that's likely.

Dave G

Thanks Dave,

If Kurt did another run and Arctic Decals released a Finnair set of CV-440 decals I might try to build a short nosed Metropolitan

Cheers,

Einar

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful Metropolitan! Once upon the time, it was the staple of Swedish domestic aviation.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Tack Joachim

Matti

58 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Very nice!The Convair 340/440 is a beautiful aircraft but only with radial engines.I do not like the version with Turbo prop.

Saluti

Giampiero

Grazie mille!

Einar