Quick question...

mackem01

Humbrol used to have Clear Doped LInen in their Authentic Colour range, which looked like light sand/light yellow/dark brow-nish cream. Have no idea if it is still being produced or to which paint corresoponds these days. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Humbrol 74 Matt Linen was the replacement colour for CDL HB16.You could also try Matt 71 Satin Oak.

HTH.......Dave.

Edited by Alfisti
Spelling

.............but H74 is far too yellow IMHO. Useable for French aircraft in their yellow peiod, just match a slightly different shade for painted bits like wood and metal, as opposed to fabric areas. I used the original Authentic recently out of interest, and it is almost a dead ringer for H74. The Satin Oak suggestion is a bit more suitable, but for RFC and RAF aircraft I use either acolour from one of the many others on offer, both acrylic and enamel, from lots of manufacturers, or if using Humbrol then white or cream with a drop of leather.

AFAIK Revell never claimed tohave a CDL in their lineup. Their old WWI kits would call out buff, same as Airfix used to. There's probably something suitable these days if you can get to a Real Model Shop and browse what they have.

If you can get them in your area, the Xtracolor enamel is very good, but takes an age to dry unless you airbrush it. Depending on age of the tin it may be named Bleached Linen or RFC Doped Natural Fabric. Hannants stock them, stock levels can vary wildly. The White Ensign Colourcoats enamel is different but also a good colour. Again, dries faster if airbrushed.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

As Paul says, Xtracolor doped natural fabric is a good colour but has been out of stock at Hannants for at least six months now. I too feel H74 is too yellow, I have seen H103 suggested as a better alternative. I have not tried it yet, but if the Xtracolor does not come back into stock soon, I will give it a go.

Paul

16 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Do Humbrol or Revell do a 'colour' representation of Clear Doped Linen?

Preferably in enamels.

I sometimes use Humbrol 103 Cream. Its a close match to Xtracolor CDL

Fokker%20E.II%2C%2017s-M.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No.  ~ 74 is much too yellow and too dark

You'll get a darkish yellow-brown

Get some white and add a little bit of brown to it till you get a white with a hint of brown, not a pale brown

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd follow up on this.

Various colours for CDL

Note; that my 103 Cream in acrylic is much lighter than my enamel version

CDL%20examples.%2001-L.jpg 

'Mix' is a Revell white with a touch of Humbrol 10 Brown added

• Like 3

Interesting range of "hues". I won't say colour as it isn't in the true sense of the word although I'm sure the shade could vary dependent on who has mixed and supplied it.

BTW you can see my effort in the Bristol GB, it may be a little on the dark side but I'm committed now.

• Like 1