Question: wing version Yugoslav Canadair Sabre

28ZComeback

Hello all, 

I would like to use the Airfix 1/48 Canadair Sabre IV for an ex-RAF Yugoslav machine.  Can anyone comment on the type of wing utilized by Yugoslav machines (and whether the current Airfix offering is sufficient for a Yugoslav machine)? Thank you. 

the Yugo Sabres were equipped with the 6-3 hard edge wing.   Yes, the Airfix kit is suitable for a Yugoslav Mk4.

Cheers, Tony

EDIT;  the Yugoslavian Mk4 Sabres were all put through an inspection process and brought up to the standard of F-86E(M) after RAF service.  If the 6-3 wing mod was not done in RAF service it was retrofitted at that time.

My 1/72 Airfix kit;

1XIfko3.jpg

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful Saber, and thanks so much for the information, which will come in handy when I do mine in YuAF colors, albeit in 1/72.  Will a "plain Jane" F-86E work, too?

no manufacturer makes a proper F-86E so; no   All you need is a F-86F with the 6-3 hard edge wing, then a few mods to backdate it to the proper vent/scoops configuration of the Sabre Mk4.

What some model companies call a F-86E, usually is something else ( the Academy 1/72 F-86E is actually a Canadair Sabre 6).

Cheers, Tony

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Is the Hasegawa 1/48 F-86 a proper “E”.?  I have seen it described as having elements of both. Sorry to open any cans of worms.  

Nope: as Tony says above, no kit is. The new Airfix kit is closest to do a late F-86E, but not an F-86E-1 or E-5.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

F-86E-1 and -5 (serial numbers beginning with '0') were kind of a transition between F-86A and F-86F. They have vee-screens, flush wingtip lights, mid-fuselage vents and the flush dorsal vent (as F-86A), but incorporate the all-flying tail and aerodynamic fairings of the F-86F. The F-86E-10 and onwards had the flat windshield of the F-86F but retained the mid-fuselage and flush dorsal vent panels.

Some F-86E-15s were converted to F-86Fs, but it was not a simple job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok, I'll look at the book I have, JETS, "Jet aircraft of Western origin in Yugoslav service," and scrutinize the photos therein.  It's written in Serbo-Croatian, but you don't need the language because, for all the words, it offers surprisingly little of value aside from the photos and color side-views!  It's like reading a series of squadron histories put together, without any references to tactics, techniques, procedures, or doctrine--which are of greater interest to me personally.

• Thanks 1

I'd have to step in to defend JETS here: at the time it was published, it was the best there was. And for me it nicely covered procurement, entry into service, mods and final withdrawal of a number of types. I don't look to monographs to detail tactics and procedures.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, petetasker said:

Had anyone done a set of decals for the yellow Yugoslav machine? I quite fancy having a bash at that myself with the new Airfix kit. Lovely modelling by the way @Tony Edmundson

Lift Here! do a number, IIRC the Akro Grupa scheme too, in various scales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, petetasker said:

Has anyone done a set of decals for the yellow Yugoslav machine? I quite fancy having a bash at that myself with the new Airfix kit. Lovely modelling by the way @Tony Edmundson

I think I have a spare set somewhere if you want them?

I did mine as a plain Jane

spacer.png

• Like 3

Cheers Julian. That’s very kind but I found a set on flea bay all the way from Serbia. Nice model by the way. Never fancied doing a ‘foreign’ Sabre before ie non RAF but that yellow and blue Yugoslav scheme is just lovely.

On 7/11/2021 at 12:29 AM, petetasker said:

Has anyone done a set of decals for the yellow Yugoslav machine? I quite fancy having a bash at that myself with the new Airfix kit. Lovely modelling by the way @Tony Edmundson

Mine are Cutting Edge(OOP) and some Airfix kit decals.

cheers, Tony

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2021 at 00:21, Tony Edmundson said:

Mine are Cutting Edge(OOP) and some Airfix kit decals.

cheers, Tony

Yes I have that sheet in 1/72 and 1/48