County class heavy cruiser...

Devo

G'day All,

Could someone please tell me what  colour I would see if I were standing under the shelter deck on a County Class Cruiser in overall 507c and I looked up? 

Cheers,

Devo

Edited by Devo
weather to shelter deck.

Anyone...?

Would it be light grey like the rest of the ship or would it be dark grey because it is the underside of the steel deck above....? 

I need to know as I have started painting my 1/350 KENT.

Regards,

Devo

Of the photographs I do have of cruisers, the overheads where they can be seen were painted light grey like the rest of the ship when in the overall 507C scheme used inter-war on foreign stations. I don't have any photos in my files specifically of looking up under the enclosed areas of any County Class though.

Countershading would come into use later once camouflage became a concern.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Devo

I'm with Jamie, this is the closest pic I've found which still doesn't confirm deck roof colour, but i suspect that painting a darker colour would have made little real sense - much easier to continue the superstructure colour up onto the "ceiling"

VISIT OF AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER TO PLYMOUTH. 22 MARCH 1941, MR R G MENZIES, THE AUSTRALIAN PREMIER VISITED VARIOUS PLACES AT PLYMOUTH INCLUDING HM DOCKYARD, DEVONPORT AND ADMIRALTY HOUSE, MOUNT WISE, WHERE HE SAW THE C IN C PLYMOUTH COMMAND, ADMIRAL SI

And looking at my Kent and Berwick completed models - it's really hard to see the underneath of the decks.

HTH

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Of the photographs I do have of cruisers, the overheads where they can be seen were painted light grey like the rest of the ship when in the overall 507C scheme used inter-war on foreign stations. I don't have any photos in my files specifically of looking up under the enclosed areas of any County Class though.

Countershading would come into use later once camouflage became a concern.

23 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Devo

I'm with Jamie, this is the closest pic I've found which still doesn't confirm deck roof colour, but i suspect that painting a darker colour would have made little real sense - much easier to continue the superstructure colour up onto the "ceiling"

VISIT OF AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER TO PLYMOUTH. 22 MARCH 1941, MR R G MENZIES, THE AUSTRALIAN PREMIER VISITED VARIOUS PLACES AT PLYMOUTH INCLUDING HM DOCKYARD, DEVONPORT AND ADMIRALTY HOUSE, MOUNT WISE, WHERE HE SAW THE C IN C PLYMOUTH COMMAND, ADMIRAL SI

And looking at my Kent and Berwick completed models - it's really hard to see the underneath of the decks.

HTH

Rob

23 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Devo

HTH

Rob

Thanks Gents, much appreciated. That was exactly the info I was after. 

:cheers:

Devo