Fulmar propeller

feoffee2

This photo from https://www.armouredcarriers.com/fairey-fulmar-development should give you an idea of what it looks like.

image-asset.jpeg?format=750w

Gen on make and dimensions is eluding me at the moment.

Edited to add http://www.woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/forum/wooden-propeller-identification/modern-wooden-propellers/1644- .

Edited by Alex Gordon

The shape and lack of wide roots suggests a DH propeller, although the spinner is atypical and more like a Rotol.  There's an outside chance it is a Rotol magnesium prop but that sounds totally unsuitable for naval operations.  It is however very likely to have similar dimensions to those on other Merlin-engined fighters, for fairly obvious reasons.  So a Hurricane or Spitfire DH prop with some appropriate (or reworked) spinner would do.  Check the nose/base diameter against that of a Hurricane or Spitfire, as these do differ.

The Special Hobby kit contains two  different props, though the instructions just say they are options and don't say which one to use for which markings. So I guess you probably at least need to know if you are building a Mk.I or II.

Note the difference between these two props.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205141139

30911145693_00a52e40f0.jpg

33 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The Special Hobby kit contains two  different props, though the instructions just say they are options and don't say which one to use for which markings. So I guess you probably at least need to know if you are building a Mk.I or II.

The Putnam book Fairey Aircraft since 1915 states the 251st and later Fulmars were fitted with a 1300hp Merlin 30 in place of the 1080hp Merlin VIII and this and later aircraft were tropicalised and becam MkIIs.....................detail changes including fitting of a new type of Rotol propeller...............

The Aeroclub price list I still use as a reference for such things states P047 is a Rotol 3 blade 12' diameter L/H typically used on the Fulmar (no mark given).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the Aircraft Archive 72nd scale plans (based upon the Mk1 example at Yeovilton) the prop on the Mk1 has a blade radius (prop centre to blade tip) of approximately 24mm, compared with 22.6mm for the Hurricane Mk1 with a De Havilland prop, so slightly larger. Logic would suggest that perhaps the Fulmar had the same diameter prop as the Battle given that they were very similar aircraft?

Regards

Colin.

• Like 2

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/forum/wooden-propeller-identification/modern-wooden-propellers/1644-

Message 6,  Meantime Ministry of Aircraft Production, propeller information.  Fulmar I and II are classified as using Rotol Hydraulic 3 blade.  Unfortunately the more detailed designation does not start being reported until January 1943, after Fulmar propeller production ceased.

January 1943, Rotol Hydraulic 3 blade propeller production, aircraft, type
Halifax II, V, various
Whitley V, VII RS5/7, 15, 22, 25, 26
Hurricane II, Sea Hurricane, no information.
Spitfire Vb, Seafire IIc, RX5/10
Beaufighter II, RS5/5, RS5/12
Master II, R4/3, R4T/2
Defiant TT, RS5/6
Firefly, RS5/19
Sea Otter R4/5.

For what it is worth the other categories are

Fixed Pitch, wood,

Fixed Pitch, metal,

Cam-De Havilland,

Hydromatic - De Havilland 3 blade

Hydromatic - De Havilland 4 blade

Hydraulic - Rotol 4 blade

Electric - Rotol 3 blade.

• Thanks 1

Just to add that I was using the mark one eyeball and a ruler so if the blade radius is 25mm then this works out at exactly 12' diameter so this sounds to be bang on.

As per the SAM publication on the Battle by Ian Huntley the Battle's De Havilland prop was 12' 6" in diameter so if you can get hold of one of these it would be quite straightforward to reduce it slightly to suit.

Regards

Colin.

Edited by fishplanebeer
  • Like 1

My research file shows the following:

Fulmar 1 – Merlin V111- DR531 blade - CM2 spinner

Fulmar 11 – Merlin 30 – DR531 blade - CM2 or CM6 spinner

Both props 11ft 3 ins diameter.

This blade was also used on certain Hurricane Mk 11's, but with a different prop and spinner combination.

As far as I am aware, there were no Dh props on production aircraft although a bracket type may have been used on the prototype.

• Like 2

Quoted from the '4+' book on the Fulmar:

"The propellers are Rotol three-bladed variable pitch constant-speed fully feathering right-hand airscrews. Both Mk. I and Mk. II versions utilise two types of propellers differing in pitch range and settings: types R5/3 and RX5/9 for the Mk I and types R5/5 and RX5/7 for the Mk. II. The 'R5' types are of 11'6" diameter, while the 'RX5' are 3" smaller."

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ClaudioN said:

Quoted from the '4+' book on the Fulmar:

"The propellers are Rotol three-bladed variable pitch constant-speed fully feathering right-hand airscrews. Both Mk. I and Mk. II versions utilise two types of propellers differing in pitch range and settings: types R5/3 and RX5/9 for the Mk I and types R5/5 and RX5/7 for the Mk. II. The 'R5' types are of 11'6" diameter, while the 'RX5' are 3" smaller."

Your post triggered a recollection which took me back to a Rotol manual for 4 and 5 size props (Sept 1941).

Here, the listings are;

Fulmar 1 - Merlin V111- R5/3 -11ft 6 ins dia – Weybridge blade – ES3 spinner

Fulmar 11 – Merlin XXX-R5/5 - 11ft 6 ins dia – Weybridge blade –ES3 spinner

These props were internal cylinder types of 20o range and were of the original Bristol aircraft style designed prior to the formation of Rotol.

The references in my first post are of 35o range types with external cylinders.

These propellers, as with the types in my first post are ‘non-feathering.’ It would be surprising if a feathering type was fitted to a single engined aircraft.

The props types relative to my first post are:

Fulmar 1- RX5/9

Fulmar 11 – RX5/7

This was the situation at October 1941. 

I should imagine the R5 types were superseded by the external cylinder models at an early stage. 

The 4+ author obviously did his homework but I think it useful to know the difference between types. .

• Like 4

16 hours ago, V Line said:

These propellers, as with the types in my first post are ‘non-feathering.’ It would be surprising if a feathering type was fitted to a single engined aircraft.

Indeed. That sounded surprising to me too.

Thank you for your post.

Cheers

Claudio