Stretched sprue

BillF67

I’ve tried to stretch sprue but to no avail. It might make a centimetre then snap. I’ve adjusted heat as best I can. Can someone help please? 

VMT

8 minutes ago, BillF67 said:

I’ve tried to stretch sprue but to no avail. It might make a centimetre then snap. I’ve adjusted heat as best I can. Can someone help please? 

VMT

You need to describe what you are doing in more detail. 

Also, have you tried another kits plastic,  they vary. 

I was looking too see if there was a diagram,  so I googled

"how to stretch sprue"

there are various videos up on youtube if you do this search, but this is the basic technique

but you should have plenty to practice with

• Like 1

I use a low-flame candle and roll the sprue section over it until (first) it becomes glossy...then continue until it begins to sag. Then draw the ends slowly but evenly away in a straight line, and hold it for about ten seconds (so it will stay straighter), then lay it down on a flat surface to cut as necessary.

Trying different kinds of sprue can really help, as different ones can have different properties of flexibility and stretch-ability.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you. My mistake was being too slow and steady when stretching. I’ve now done it as per the YouTube video and have had several successes. I’m well chuffed. VMT again.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

My approach is slightly different, I hold the end of the tree to a flame 'till it starts to melt and ball on the end of the tree, then I remove from the heat/flame and stick the melted end onto a piece of card and pull the stretched plastic from there.

Whatever way it is just a bit of practice and experiment 'till you get the feel for when to pull, as the plastic cools and if you pull slower you can get some good diameter rods although they tend not to be as long.

Different manufacturers plastic will have different qualities, my favourite is the Tamiya clear plastic trees, it is also my favourite for making melted plastic seems to be the best quality I have found for such techniques.

• Like 2