Eduard 1/48 F6F-5 (early) Minsi III

Welcome to the GB Stefan :thumbsup:

Must say the two different colours of plastic brings back memories of the Matchbox kits in my youth :) 

• Like 2

Thanks for looking, guys.

I also found the different colour sprues surprising, not Eduard's usual practice.

I'm not aware of the developmant history of this kit...maybe there was an earlier version and an improved sprue was made in a different colour. 

I wonder if, after the fire in Eduard's warehouse and the stock of sprues having been renewed, an F6F bought now would still have the different colour sprues. 

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 2:21 PM, Stefan Buysse said:

I'm not aware of the developmant history of this kit...maybe there was an earlier version and an improved sprue was made in a different colour. 

I looked into that when I was considering Minsi III for my F6F-5 Late kit. The fix would have been easy, just cut away the Late fuselage for the side glass, which the kit includes. The difference between the F6F-5 Late and Early kits is the fuselage sprue (D or C, respectively) and the decals. The late kit has sprues D (fuselage) & J (cowling) joined while the early kit has C (fuselage) and J separate. While each kit appears to have a specific-labeled PE fret, I couldn't see a difference from online photos.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 3:43 AM, dnl42 said:

The late kit has sprues D (fuselage) & J (cowling) joined while the early kit has C (fuselage) and J separate. 

Hi,

Thanks, I see now. I had a look at Eduard's site and I don't think their efforts to replenish the stock after the fire have reached the F6F yet. Some day, we'll now if the new ones still have two colours.🙂

My Hellcat for this GB ran into some competition for my attention yesterday...my first Tamiya F-4B arrived. 

Don't worry, I'm not giving up on the Hellcat. One of the things that I like about Minsi III is the "CAG" marking and my first F-4B is going to be a CAG-bird. So, they'll look pretty cool together. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This one is not going to become "Minsi III".

One bit of trouble lead to another: apparantly I hadn't attached the cockpit correctly, that caused a problem when I closed the fuselage halves, when I finally got them closed up the rear window on the starboard side got knocked loose and fell into the fuselage.

These windows are meant to be installed before one closes the fuselage. After I had somehow shaked it out the fuselage, I found it nearly impossible to attach it from the outside. In the end, I got it pretty much in place but there is a glue stain on it now.

H2ruHNH.jpg

It doesn't look that bad in the photograph, but I'd like to have a good "Minsi III" and if I built it like this it would bother me forever.

My solution will be to paint over these windows and build this one as a "late F6F-5".

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan Buysse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

15 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

You could wait for it to harden, then sand and polish the glues off the outside maybe?

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would always have wanted a "late" and an "early" F6F-5 anyway. 

I think the clear part could easily become detached and fall into the fuselage again. It was very difficult getting it out the first time.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

After looking at some decal options for a late F6F-5, I've decided to make it one of VF-17 on the USS Hornet in 1945.

If I ever get around to building a Jolly Rogers collection, this would be a nice one to have next to the F9F, F3H, F-4, F-14 and F/A-18F.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi,

After looking at some decal options for a late F6F-5, I've decided to make it one of VF-17 on the USS Hornet in 1945.

If I ever get around to building a Jolly Rogers collection, this would be a nice one to have next to the F9F, F3H, F-4, F-14 and F/A-18F.

Cheers, Stefan.

Good start to your Jolly Rogers collection Stefan ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Lately, I haven't got around to do a lot of modeling.

So, today is make or break day for this Hellcat. Covering the rear windows with putty didn't go really well. It's not truly awful but noticeable if you know it's there.

I'll perform one more sanding and puttying session on that area.  

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

Hi,

Here's how she looked in the last daylight of saturday.

DrYRpUe.jpg

Since then, I've added the landing gear and sprayed on some more Gloss Sea Blue.

It's definitely not going to be the best Hellcat in the GB. Some parts have been ommited. For example, I was not able to install the tiny catapult hooks (part G45) although I had a magnifier and tweezers. Maybe it wasn't my best day, but they are quite small.

Today, decals and a bit of weathering.

I've seen in another thread here that the Furball decals are nicely opaque.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 5

Hi,

As you can see, I have made good progress over the week-end.

But there is too much left to do on the model to put pictures in the gallery.

The antenna wire, better exhaust stain, more stencils, re-attaching the pitot tube...

Probably the thing that made me realise that I wasn't going to make the dead-line...I sprayed the wrong side of the wheelhubs.

iJZX7rj.jpg

It's been a pleasure to participate and I have a satisfactory model within my grasp.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 7

It is indeed within your grasp!

The catapult hooks are very difficult to attach as there's no good way to hold them. Another very hard part is the upper spine light, a very small round part in a very small hole. I also sprayed the back side of one of the hubs. :shrug:

• Like 2

Thanks, guys.

One thing that amazes me is that in the photograph, it looks like the colour of the Eduard plastic is visible through the paint. There are several layers of paint on there and I never got that impression when I looked at the model with the naked eye.

The small antenna mast on top of the tail will be the biggest challenge ahead. It's a very flimsy attachment and wonder if I'll ever attach it firmly enough to put some tension on the anttena wire.

Cheers, Stefan.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:39 PM, Stefan Buysse said:

One thing that amazes me is that in the photograph, it looks like the colour of the Eduard plastic is visible through the paint. There are several layers of paint on there and I never got that impression when I looked at the model with the naked eye.

Flash photography can be way too revealing, as any red carpet actress will tell you...😁

• Haha 3

On 9/26/2021 at 11:19 PM, dnl42 said:

The catapult hooks are very difficult to attach as there's no good way to hold them. Another very hard part is the upper spine light, a very small round part in a very small hole

Yes, that was my experience too. I re-made the hooks with fuse wire, making the bits that go into the wing a bit longer, and drilled the location holes deeper to give  a more positive location. They're fine as long as you don't look too closely!

The little lights on the spine were a pain - I managed to get them in place by very slightly enlarging the holes so that they dropped in easily, and picking them up on the end of a small blu-tack sausage, with a toothpick in the other hand to dislodge the light into the hole. It was still very nerve-wracking though, and I was terrified of losing those bits!

• Like 2