Brewster 339E Buffalo - 488 (NZ) Squadron - Circa late 1941

Hi All,

After involvement in the ANZAC Group Build ending in May, I looked through my

Model stash to see what I could re-start  (shelf queens etc), that I couldn't enter

in the GB (with <25% done rule)

I thought about this year 2021, and its meaning to New Zealand and more importantly the RNZAF,

80 Years ago,  there were some significant milestones/events.

Circa April 1941 the North American Harvard first flew in New Zealand for the first time, beginning

the training at CFS's (Central Flying Schools) new pilots etc who soon would have to take the fight

to the enemy (at that juncture Germany) - Note New Zealander's still continued through the EATS in Canada who went onto

Europe (mostly)

NZ1081 at RNZAF Station Wigram

DWNZ1081b_1_1.t60d62ab5.m800.xLrq8m3Pc.j

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

On September 1, 1941,at RNZAF Station Rongotai (pronounce phonetically Wrong-O-Tie) - Now Wellington Airport, 488 Squadron

was formed, being our first True Fighter Squadron

PF75-30a-93.t5f7528e8.m800.xMUl0Xnc2.jpg

AOC was a Battle of France/Britain veteran Squadron Leader Wilf Closuton, with 9 Confirmed kills

MUS0902326.t5f7e25ac.m600.xcnmXzte2.jpg

Now 488 Squadron was not a true RNZAF Squadron (though manned by RNZAF personnel), it was one of a number of "Article XV"

Squadrons which were RAF Squadrons owned and operated, but manned by Commonwealth (Dominion in those days) Personnel

Article XV Squadrons

Roll on October 1941, and now 488 (NZ) Squadron were sent to Singapore to help bolster defenses there, being based at Kallang

Note the Buffaloes parked there belong to 67/243 Squadrons respectiveley

MUS970975.t5f777b59.m800.xmbq2c_X9.jpg

After Arrival and settling in, 488 (NZ) Squadron "Inherited" 20 odd 339E Buffaloes from 67 Squadron.

A 67 Squadron Buffalo (Buffalo W8243 RD-B) and ground crew - The Sergeant leaning against the wheel is Sergeant EL Sadler, a Kiwi.

(there were a number of Kiwi's in various Squadrons at that time in Singapore, a well known one, GB Fisken)

MUS990999.t5eadce32.m800.x9z0mpgnc.jpg

These were essentially non serviceable, so the Squadron maintenance Officer Flight Lieutenant Mackenzie (below)

had a major job on his hands, Flt Lt Mackenzie, was also one of the Flight Commanders under Sqn Ldr Clouston

PR7117.t5e4eddd1.m600.xmeSyXb2q.jpg

However Kiwi ingenuity and a No. 8 Wire Attitude, soon started to get the aircraft

flying again

A 488 (NZ) Squadron Buffalo still with 67 Squadron marking being moved into a hangar for some TLC

PR8369c.t5f39f1e0.m800.xd-p0s589.jpg

Roll on December 1941 (more especially December 7/8) when the War with Japan began in the Pacific.

It's important to note here, that the war in the Pacific at the time of Japan's entry had been going on for a little

over two years, with New Zealand and Australian Forces fighting a German presence, mostly in the form of

Commerce raiders

This is a photo of some RNZAF Vildebeest's at RNZAF Station Waipapakauri (pronounce phonetically Why- Papa-Cow-Re)

where No.1 GR Squadron was based for a period in 1940 to hunt for the the German Commerce raider Orion, that had attacked

and sunk shipping off the coast of New Zealand's western approaches - I have a SH Vildebeest to build

as a 1 GR Squadron aircraft

WhTin128frame1.t5f0d2975.m600.xuCAb18A_.

With that little but short history lesson, I'll continue

Good Reading/References (yes I've read Bloody Shamble etc/Hurricanes Over Singapore) for this are the two following

Official History "The RNZAF in South East Asia 1941-42"

9e7de1e6-017f-4bad-bde1-dfa6dd4dbda1.jpg

This Book was Authored by the son of an RNZAF Airman who served with 488 (NZ) Squadron

in Singapore, and based on his Dads diary/Journal

8d07c141-6a6b-405c-9f6b-d059fbb56e44.jpg

Now why now do I finish (re-start) this build, well time has come and gone, and newer information

has surfaced about the Aircraft, and more especially colours (well types used on US manufactured aircraft

used by RAF/Commonwealth)

I was never happy with  the colours I initially started with, so now it's time to finish (more on colours later)

the Kit is the 1/32 Special Hobby Brewster F2A-2 Buffalo, converting to an RAF 339E Buffalo

3ee810ee-1e5a-4f61-be16-2bead6e88d94.jpg

Now I need to say that if you want to build an Accurate RAF 339E Buffalo, you need to make some

modifications especially with in the Cockpit/Fuselage interior (more later)

I have the 339E Buffalo Pilots notes, which has a some great photos within of the cockpit. - I will say,

you can't just grab any F2A-2 kit add a Sutton harness and RAF Roundels and get a RAF Buffalo, if you

want accuracy

Just a note here, I spent at least two years prior to original building commencement, studying and referencing all

the Red Numbers to find out what exactly the were/represented, hopefully that will show in my workmanship

Starboard Side Photo

ae67c88f-2a55-4cce-b959-267cd42d1d71.jpg

Port side Photo

6f5b7199-23f1-4b78-92d3-da0bc0efa117.jpg

Forward section of Cockpit and Instrument panels

0f51bf61-488d-4fc1-a347-10669f1ab667.jpg

I'll be using Montex mask to add the RAF Markings

791d6663-3c46-4477-b836-deb8b84de296.jpg

Now before I sign off for this post, I will be modelling my Model after Buffalo coded NF-O serial W 8138

with a green dragon motif on forward cowling area, flown by Pilot Officer Noel Sharp of 488 (NZ) Squadron

P/O Sharp and W8138

84ecc5d1-4c19-41dc-93fb-5e7d220e23f0.jpg

Well I leave it at that for the time being, but hopefully more this evening

( Sorry, I have a multitude of photos to size etc and takes some time)

Thanks for looking in 😀

Regards

Alan

• Like 16

Great story behind your build I especially appreciate the phonetic spelling of the air fields. Quite a few of them are tongue twisters

for this old yank living in the high desert of Northern Utah.  For some unexplained reason I have had an attachment to the Buffalo,

perhaps it is all of those yellow winged pre war markings that the U.S. Navy had on them. I remember hearing a comment on a documentary 

about the Buffalo that with each subsequent model development of the Buffalo the plane became less and less capable of it’s performance

l will be following your progress. 👍🥝 < That’s a kiwi fruit because there is no little bird emoji.

Todders

• Like 2

Oh wow Alan this will be good, I have wanted to see your Buffalo. You were very helpful with  my build which was very much appreciated fella. 

Your build will be very comprehensive and I am looking forward to this.

Chris

• Like 1

Great start and the background information is very interesting, I have a fondness for the Buffalo and was going to build one a few years ago but got tied up in the paint colours discussions and gave up, this might be the spur to get mine built to sit alongside my Nate.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Todders said:

I remember hearing a comment on a documentary 

about the Buffalo that with each subsequent model development of the Buffalo the plane became less and less capable of it’s performance

Over the last week i've spent quite a bit of time researching the 339C & D models the NEIAAF used, and which (factory) modifications were added in the field. Quite interesting. 

Since 2-VLG-V was also deployed to Kallang to operate together with 488 (NZ) Sqn, there was opportunity to do a comparison between the Dutch ones and the 339E. Even with the added armour plating and linatex self-sealing fuel tanks, the C/D models had slightly better performance and range than E models. 

From the NPC documents, first batch of 24 model 339Cs with R-1820-G105A @ 1100hp (engines bought and supplied by NEI govt - not Brewster) and the second batch of 48 model 339D's with  R-1820-G205A @ 1200hp (not the 1820-40 as is often quoted).

On 7/4/2021 at 3:42 PM, Todders said:

For some unexplained reason I have had an attachment to the Buffalo,

perhaps it is all of those yellow winged pre war markings that the U.S. Navy had on them. I remember hearing a comment on a documentary 

Hi Todders

I know what you mean, When my dad returned from training with the USN on the P3 Orion (for RNZAF), he brought home a truck load of models,

one being this Revell kit - I took a real liking to this tubby little Naval aircraft, and the fact it had Felix the Cat on the side too :thumbsup:

48030977-7ad3-4326-9911-8abd3ebcada0.jpg

In a previous Group build (In the Navy), I built an F2A-2 as seen here

8688f2e3-928b-401e-b509-551c8c1c0344.jpg

Link to Build here

Brewster F2A-2 Build

My study on the F2A Buffalo, it seems that with each successive model the weight VS Engine performance was a factor

On 7/4/2021 at 7:39 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Your build will be very comprehensive and I am looking forward to this.

Chris

Thanks Chris - hope you  enjoy it

On 7/4/2021 at 8:53 PM, spitfire said:

I have a fondness for the Buffalo and was going to build one a few years ago but got tied up in the paint colours discussions and gave up, this might be the spur to get mine built to sit alongside my Nate.

Hi Dennis, Yes, Paint Colours.......:wall: Hopefully my build will help you decide to continue yours :D

On 7/5/2021 at 1:00 AM, alt-92 said:

Since 2-VLG-V was also deployed to Kallang to operate together with 488 (NZ) Sqn, there was opportunity to do a comparison between the Dutch ones and the 339E. Even with the added armour plating and linatex self-sealing fuel tanks, the C/D models had slightly better performance and range than E models. 

Both 488 Sqn and 2-VLG-V carried training sorties at Kallang, the NEI machines had much better power

Hi All,

Another Update

So this is the Wright Cyclone R 1820-105A in the kit, painted up and ignition wiring,

I used copper wire (not a good choice - too stiff)

578ffd64-ba31-445d-affb-e5cc1d9bb506.jpg

All wired up and with Data plates added the engine cylinders were dry brushed with Humbrol

171 Antique Bronze

4b956bae-fd05-4bce-8d2a-29b188a1e800.jpg

Just as aside, the "Metal" data plates are home made

I painted aluminum foil with Black paint (either Enamel or Acrylic), then using a really sharp

point (pin/needle) I scribed the plated using a templates and straight lines

d614673c-bfcf-4517-81a8-6017bdfa5c9f.jpg

723bb576-83d2-4907-8a8c-a27f1d675bd9.jpg

I had to make a few, as seen in above photo, before I got it "right", yhen I cut it

out and used the likes of Kristal Klear to glue on

Now why did i paint the R 1820 in US Colours? Generally (as I understand it) the British radials had a black

Gear casing/body

Well when I first started this model, I searched the "Net" as we all do, and there were on forums I

joined up, seemingly Authoritative Persons (not the Jim Maas's, Nick Millman's, Dana Bell's), who seemed

to have "Street Creed", and seemed to Know (Supposedly) what they were talking about, so I painted

my model accordingly - bad mistake

2262cf67-ede8-41d7-95a4-24c4a5026bb8.jpg

Fast forward years and much research later, I found out these Know it all's didn't know it all

If you look at this Life Magazine Photo of an RAF 339E Buffalo being assembled at Kallang

Note the Inner Assembly of the "Z" frames and sub bulkheads etc Not US Interior Green, but

rather Aluminium paint (similar) - the Engine does look like it's in US Colours - that's fine

See "A" in photo

a5c386b7-3aca-4121-aedc-9b9de22428bd.jpg

Now please bear with me, in my explanation going forward

Many years ago in another life, I worked for a subsidiary of a US Fortune 500 Company, interestingly

also involving some use of colours, in Production Management (manufacturing) and Production Planning.

Now when a customer came to us wanting to spend some money, we either offered "Off the Shelf"

"Off the Shelf - Tweaked" or our R&D folks worked their magic (sometimes with the customers technical teams).

When looking at the Buffalo, Britain paid British Gold for these aircraft, They were Not Lend Lease.

When a customer wants to spend money, you make sure they are satisfied with their purchase, so they

come back to spend more

The Buffalo really falls into all three categories of "Off The Shelf, Off the Shelf Tweaked, and R&D involvement.

The Airframe was stock F2A-2 , but "Tweaked" (10ft propellers/Redesigned Windshield/sliding canopy Tail wheel

etc etc) R&D involvement (cockpit interior -re-engineered for RAF equipment/paints).

The engine probably off the shelf (though we know some engines were 2nd hand (read reconditioned), but like anything

this was not a "Blindside to the British as you always ensure the customer knows whats going on

So if you look at "C" in the Buffalo photo, note the framing colours, appear to be "Aluminium" not US Interior Green

Note the Buffalo order was placed during the height of the Battle Of Britain - What colours were the interiors

of say RAF Spitfires (note similar colours)?

So I re-painted the Bulkheads etc to reflect the above photo, left the engine as is

75a1f23d-8dc3-49cc-aca5-c70022d6ee7b.jpg

df160806-346e-4df3-acd2-40a3e1822b38.jpg

I needed to sort out the intakes for the Upper/lower intakes (upper for Carburetor. lower for Oil cooler)

I shaped a piece of Spruce (funnily from an Airfix 1/24 Hurricane) to form a die to heat form the needed parts

Upper Form

e2d9afa7-1c00-4059-ab9b-cbcc5c20c21e.jpg

Lower form

aae6924a-0191-4d74-ba96-669e712f8490.jpg

The Pattern to form and styrene

a966440a-5810-493b-9ecd-38f0f12ad06b.jpg

13de3140-a59f-490c-8f88-f438e35428a0.jpg

Upper and lower parts formed and glued in place

0931198f-48de-48d6-8892-92b3ef2c25dd.jpg

fd186c20-ddbd-4248-a40a-115001037a00.jpg

Engine sitting in place for now

75ed80f2-06eb-4ede-8f9b-935843cd2bbc.jpg

552e499f-2297-4b7c-b692-f8ef077ebc74.jpg

So I had planned more for tonight, but will continue tomorrow

Thanks for looking in :D

Regards

Alan

• Like 16

Well you have me captivated!  I plan on doing one of these in the future and will use this for my reference if that's ok?  

I always love your background information etc, very informative indeed.  Wonderful start, keep it up....I need to get back to my RNZAF subjects after this Phantom

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

Can I ask a question please about the 1/48 scale Special Hobby kit ie

the 339-23 RAAF version ?

Is it suitable for use as a Battle of Malaya 1941/42 Buffalo 339 version . Or could I use the Finnish 239 version .

regards David

Edited by 73north

On 7/11/2021 at 5:18 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great and love your research/image interpretation. Cracking work on the engine and nose intakes. 

Chris

Thanks Chris - I really enjoy the research part, and being able to share it :D

On 7/11/2021 at 7:56 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Well you have me captivated!  I plan on doing one of these in the future and will use this for my reference if that's ok?  

I always love your background information etc, very informative indeed.  Wonderful start, keep it up....I need to get back to my RNZAF subjects after this Phantom

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony happy for you to use this for your reference, look forward to more of your RNZAF Builds:D

10 hours ago, 73north said:

Can I ask a question please about the 1/48 scale Special Hobby kit ie

the 339-23 RAAF version ?

Is it suitable for use as a Battle of Malaya 1941/42 Buffalo 339 version . Or could I use the Finnish 239 version .

regards David

Hi David

The 339-23  was ordered by the Dutch for use in the South East Asia,

but these arrived after capitulation of the NEI Forces 1942, and diverted to

Australia. The 339-23 was an export version of the F2A-3 Buffalo, so you can't

backdate it to a F2A-2 (different canopy/fuselage length etc)

The Finnish version  was an export variant of the F2A-1, so again different to

the F2A-2 from which the Dutch/NEI 339C/D's were derived form and 339E RAF variant

Regards

Alan

Bit of a small update

The SH Kit fuselage has a light relief for internal stringers/frames, so I added

some of my own

311c66fc-c32b-44c4-9fac-bf38e6138eaf.jpg

The second section of the fuselage (lower) I added a piece of Styrene to make a Storage/luggage bay

see note in Pilots notes below - You won't be able to see it but it's there

d74c5f21-7684-4c0b-b197-3ec15173e234.jpg

The Pilots Notes mention Louvre's under the Pilots Seat/Frame

ec44affc-a62a-455b-95f3-7c0e16ee3c2a.jpg

My rendition of the Louvres

8221dedf-e09c-4421-8a5e-3b0e6a1b8ba9.jpg

Sitting in the fuselage

8c49bd7b-c480-46ba-80ca-81530d5f68c6.jpg

In the book "Buffalo in Action", there is a photo of an 339E with its  lower transparency open, and you

can see the bottom of the Louvre

Given that the RAF Buffalo had the "Race Track" ovals opening in the ventral transparency, not sure how

the Louvre's circulated the air in the cockpit for pilots comfort^_^

Next is starting on the Portside Cockpit shelf, I removed the SH rendition for the fuel line (Straight pipe down),

and replaced it with the one in the photo below

a0371ad5-29b6-46e9-bd81-52a351531ef0.jpg

The two Knobs/dials are (Top) Rudder Tab Control,  Elevator Tab Control (side).

Having grown up with my Dad having various Rheostat knobs etc, from Sunderland's and other

former RNZAF Aircraft, they were black with white indents etc.

if you look at the controls, you can make out white indents - I painted them white first, then black over

the top and when dry buffed with a T shirt to expose the white underneath.

Thanks for looking in, more soon :D

Regards

Alan

• Like 8

thanks - I thought the RAAF 339-23 looked longer and leaner = thanks anyway

and that the Finnish Version is not good - going to have to source an older Tamiya 339 in the 1970's boxing as I hear the moulds in the newer releases are showing warp issues 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

if you look at the controls, you can make out white indents - I painted them white first, then black over

the top and when dry buffed with a T shirt to expose the white underneath.

Bet the domestic authorities will be happy you are using your T-shirt to buff the paint!!!

Seriously Alan, great job on those, I was going to put knobs,  but thought I shouldn't 😀

Cockpit interior looks good too, the Louvres wow.

Great work fella

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 7:11 AM, LDSModeller said:

this was not a "Blindside to the British as you always ensure the customer knows whats going on

Love the build description but this line got me laughing....here's a quote from a March 11, 1940, letter I found in some Brewster files (the file folder was lableled 'Destroy This  Folder"!): 

"Inasmuch as there are no production personnel in either of these [British and Netherlands Purchasing] commissions, such [production planning] diagrams would not receive           any close analysis, but the general effect would be very advantageous".  

Brewster counted on customer change orders to excuse any delays in production, and the Brewster's bizarre production facilities guaranteed there would be delays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi All, sorry for the delay in replying and posting more on the Buffalo build.

Its been a busy few weeks, which also involved some aviation related time,

which has inspired me to re-start or visit another older build (hint one of my

all time favourite Aircraft ( More later when the Buffalo is closer to completion)

On 7/14/2021 at 7:48 AM, Biggles87 said:

I also have a fondness for the Buffalo and have enjoyed reading ‘ the story so far ‘ so I’ll tag along if I may.

John

PS: I also have a SH 1/32 Buffalo.

Hi John thanks for looking in, and you're most welcome to ask any queries you have on the Buffalo :)

On 7/14/2021 at 7:52 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Bet the domestic authorities will be happy you are using your T-shirt to buff the paint!!!

Seriously Alan, great job on those, I was going to put knobs,  but thought I shouldn't 😀

Cockpit interior looks good too, the Louvres wow.

Great work fella

Chris

Hi Chris,

Luckily for me the "T-Shirt" had been consigned to the rag heap so dodged a bullet there (no, my wife really enjoys me

modelling, so all good ^_^)

Thanks for the  comments on the build, Yes Louvres, I suppose the forward motion of the aircraft would help any air

entering the cockpit be circulated  "Guaranteed" Cool feet/legs :whistle:

On 7/14/2021 at 10:21 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Alan apologies for not seeing this sooner. 

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy this little journey :)

On 7/23/2021 at 9:58 AM, jimmaas said:

Love the build description but this line got me laughing....here's a quote from a March 11, 1940, letter I found in some Brewster files (the file folder was lableled 'Destroy This  Folder"!): 

"Inasmuch as there are no production personnel in either of these [British and Netherlands Purchasing] commissions, such [production planning] diagrams would not receive           any close analysis, but the general effect would be very advantageous".  

Brewster counted on customer change orders to excuse any delays in production, and the Brewster's bizarre production facilities guaranteed there would be delays.

Hi Jim,

Nice of you to  look in, I always enjoy the technical/historical  information you post :D

I have a book written and Published circa 1943, called "Britain's Wonderful Air Force", which has a section

on Britain's dealings with US Aircraft manufacturers (before and during Lend Lease)

82edc684-f0ae-40e6-aca0-22d73e12e7ce.jpg

c5e2825f-930e-4b4e-9163-6991ab3d0002.jpg

f0a8e565-0c22-4541-a893-c8ee7c98c8e6.jpg

Your Comment on Brewster's seeming reticence/wanton desire to be less than honest had me think about

the following two passages I've marked.

The first (LHS) talks about Britain (MAP especially) working with the US Manufacturers, and second, possibly

because of the likes of Brewster,  British Technical teams went to the US (RHS of page)

12c1f791-5041-4e53-8b16-68889a0549a7.jpg

I note that it refers to "Principal" Aircraft Firms" (Likely North American/Consolidated/Douglas/Grumman/

Lockheed/Vought-Sikorsky), I'm thinking Brewster not so much :whistle:

Interesting Times Eh?

On 7/30/2021 at 1:16 AM, alt-92 said:

Didn't they have two ...dodgy characters... in sales working for them at the time?

I'm thinking probably more than two Dodgy Characters :hmmm:.........

So an Update

Using the same book, it relates to some of the comments I'm going to make

If you read the following, it hopefully will help you understand where I'm coming from

8bad9719-3eb1-4f08-adc6-b3737b8d7c27.jpg

Reading RHS script, it mentions  "Modifications", such Armour....

If you read this excerpt form the Buffalo notes, it refers to frontal armour

3252caef-fb25-4194-8887-68554f4db8c3.jpg

Frontal Armour position - of course this added to the overall aircraft weight

0e7b203f-ba5e-4fa7-9029-6762e075c82e.jpg

Now while we are on "Modifications" paid for, we can touch on Interior Colours.

Now there are those who advocate the use of US Interior Green - if they wish to paint their models

accordingly, their choice

I don't believe the Buffalo had a cockpit coloured with US Interior Green. Remember Britain was paying for this with

British Gold. Now Fast forward to the Lend Lease Act 1941, and the US would supply aircraft to Britain and her Dominions

We have modern photographic evidence that RAF Types of Colour were used.

Ex RNZAF Hudson's supplied under RAF Contract

0e03efd5-deb8-492e-b57b-fd502898c2ec.jpg

860339cb-51b3-45aa-8f69-cc87b2cb2b46.jpg

62a4c97a-d358-44fd-9c61-13f05741ebd4.jpg

(Photos Copyright NR Mines - Used with Permissions)

Ex RNZAF Lockheed RB-34 (built to RAF Contract) - Note Interior colours

RNZAF RB-34 Interior Colour

If US Aircraft Firms can supply airframes to Britain and Dominions, with RAF Colours under Lend Lease,

then I'm quite confident that the Buffalo had a version of an RAF Interior colour for the cockpit

(Caveat - this all changed when the US and Britain agreed to Standardize colours circa 1943)

As to what actual colour the Buffalo had well,  that's the $64,000 dollar question???

The Pilots notes show the area behind the cockpit as "Silver/Aluminum", much like you would find in a Spitfire

so I painted the rear of fuselage this colour (can be seen in coming photos)

The Actual cockpit colour, I had a good long think (and asked questions - US Interior Green paint, I did not)

Naively I went with a version of Bronze Green, but it didn't look right.  Both Jim Maas and Nick Millman

helped out here, and I ended up painting with Humbrol 86 Matt Light Olive.

If I were to build this again from Ground up, I'd go with a colour similar to the Hudson's above.

Now after that lengthy commentary, I'll carry on with the build

The Buffalo Pilots notes state that the Buffalo Mk I/339E could be fitted with either the following

TR9D or TR1133A Wireless Controls and Units

2ce0e195-2844-4d73-9f6a-3f4203baf593.jpg

Note in the pilots notes above,  it also mentions aerials, the TR1133A having a vertical aerial under the fuselage.

I've never seen such an aerial on a RAF Buffalo, and after some discussion with Jim Maas and Mark Haseldon

I opted for the TR9D

I hunted the Net and my Book references for a photo of a TR9D control and Wireless unit, finally finding one on

the Spitfire Spares Site - see link below (you'll have to scroll down about a 1/2 page to see the TR9 Control)

TR9 Control/Unit

Here is my version thereof :smartass:

I "Machined" some sprue to form the TR9 control body ( The brown coloured things in the back ground are the

heating pipes for cockpit)

b1487004-4bd6-49dc-a5b7-ed0374ad2326.jpg

and finished product

2f0d2ab8-5b8b-4adf-aee3-9188312aeabd.jpg

Painted, Added to the Port side Shelf

8fcfda6f-e2d2-4afc-99b0-5f2b6edb23b0.jpg

The Letters are the Following

A - TR9 Controller Switch

B - Tail Wheel Locking Lever

C - Map Case ( I used the kit part but added some additional depth - and there are scale maps in there :D

D - Supercharger Control

E - Fuel Pump Lever

F -  Fuel tank selection switch (can't use the actual word.......:S)

A look from above - The Pilots notes mentions Pliers for landing emergencies - I built a set of pliers :smartass:

5a262c79-ebd1-4eb8-9de8-6bb0f40ddecb.jpg

Shelf and components added to Port side of Fuselage - note also the colour of Cockpit and behind

Also note wires for TR9 Control to TR9 Unit behind

e53ba626-e60f-4cd3-aeaa-b79d3b858869.jpg

Items A/B/C are as follows:

A - Aileron Control Tab

B - Throttle and Mixture Control

C = Port side Quarter Panel

Rear of Cockpit/Fuselage with TR9 Unit - Probably should have added a shelf/support bracket :oops:

e7019cb9-9b77-495e-bb4c-b5755af328c0.jpg

Just so you can see whats what, and see what I'm adding, a close up of the Plots notes Port side

6202f642-6f96-4207-8f17-62916bfa1755.jpg

So you can see the difference and similarities between Buffalo Mk I/339E Port side and F2A Cockpits

( I have linked this to Cyber modeller, who have copies of F2A cockpit Photos provided by Jim Maas)

F2A Portside Cockpit

Thanks for looking in, hope you find something useful here :D

More soon (I'll look at the Starboard side of Cockpit)

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 7

I'm wondering if that reference 3) in the 1806A is to the armoured windshield, actually. 

IIRC not all ML-KNIL 339s were originally delivered with that - much was fitted in-theatre by TD afterwards (exhausts, even).

Really should go through P.C. Boer's book again..:book:

6 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I'm wondering if that reference 3) in the 1806A is to the armoured windshield, actually. 

The Frontal Armour is different to Windshield Armour, see excerpt form Pilots notes re "Armour"

973a4baa-efce-4d76-883d-cfef4f46308f.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well a bit of time to catch up on model building, not that a lot

has happened last few days, with NZed going into Level 4 for Covid.

Long days past and ahead workwise 🇳🇿

Anyway I digress, as there's modelling information to pass on :D

Those who know me, know that I like to include Historic information,

along with technical information so with that here we go :D

About this time 80 years ago along with the raising of 488 Squadron at Rongotai, Wellington,

another RNZAF Squadron was raised.

That squadron being No.1 Aerodrome Construction Squadron (ACS). These men (and women)

were taken from the Public Works Department (who for many years looked after NZDF facilities,

I recall them painting our house at RNZAF Wigram)

These are members of 1ACS preparing to depart New Zealand for Malaysia

HIST1428_1.t60833309.m800.xKLCLvz7h.jpg

HIST1423_1.t60833309.m800.xiMIY_FFy.jpg

1ACS traveled with 488 Squadron to Singapore/Malaysia, where they set to work creating airfields etc

Officers of 1 ACS at Tebrau, Malaysia

HIST1430_1.t60833309.m800.xesZFvdLS.jpg

Partly finished airfield at Tebrau Malaysia

2006-292.1x_1.t60833309.m800.xQr1hWOdi.j

HIST1445_1.t60833309.m600.x10Dj32Kr.jpg

I have more on 1ACS later, as I post information on the Battle for Singapore/Malaysia

Life in Singapore was different for our younger Kiwi's, many who had never been outside of New Zealand.

Gates to Singapore Airport/ Terminal Buildings at Kallang Airfield

2016-001.72_1.t611ed344.m800.xEMJ7KVZe.j

Singapore Swimming Club (Pool & Buildings)

2016-001.70_1.t611ed344.m800.x4xYdL5N6.j

Official past time of Cricket (two opposing teams here)

2016-001.74_1.t611ed344.m800.xORljsVzQ.j

Young Airman enjoying the delights of the Far East

HIST627_1.t60b3d545.m600.xiZy-Em3H.jpg

So onto the model right :D

So as to help see the difference between the USN F2A-2 (link to Cyber modeller Page)

USN F2A-2 Cockpit

RAF Buffalo Mk I, a photo taken from the Buffalo Pilots notes (Starboard side) - Again similar but also

quite different - again I re-iterate you can't just take a F2A-2 kit and make a Mk I Buffalo without changes

especially the cockpit

e17c080a-0d76-45c9-87a9-2ae147939979.jpg

Starboard side of Aircraft

Per Pilots notes, the following

First Aid Kit (aft of pilot)

23d130ea-bc40-4ff3-bc31-529ac1a8ca6e.jpg

And Flare Chute

eb9e7c18-2e68-4d8e-95f8-183cfdcb5530.jpg

Fuselage half with First Aid Kit and Flare chute

d2a49d5b-2d51-40ae-a8f3-f26a5be4478f.jpg

What the Flare chute looks like, and location through access hatch, from Life Magazine Photo

f6557fe6-5d26-4954-b001-be72a6cec9cc.jpg

The astute among you will note that the top of my Flare chute and the actual flare chute are different, - In my defense, I didn't

have this photo during this stage of construction ^_^

In The Pilots notes photo above, you will note the O2 Bottle "Enclosure" aft right of pilot, and actual note about

enclosure

7e8fbe41-6fd9-4e3c-a309-d113efdd55af.jpg

My construction of said "Enclosure"

4711ef2e-ae71-4661-b644-16dfbfa071ab.jpg

My Wife had made her Sister's Wedding Cake, and used a mesh on the cake, from which the remaining

roll came in handy, the metal is from Aluminium pie plate.

The O2 enclosure sits right of the Pilots Seat Mount. Note the Pilots notes information re Seat mount tubes

2591b684-6b9e-48f6-ba78-52a930f2d172.jpg

My rendition of the Support tubes - Note also completed and painted O2 Enclosure

ad726eee-ee50-42a8-be4b-9fa63f0de4dd.jpg

Note the curved upper section, you can see this in this photo of a 488 Sqn Buffalo, with seat in place.

Pilot is Flt Lt John "Hutch" Hutchison - 488 Sqn other Flight Commander

9739bdfe-3d45-41ea-b672-e687df5e17ef.jpg

Pilots Seat Notes from Pilots Notes

298ca5a2-46c2-4a91-952b-c0454423ba36.jpg

Kit part - Note the "Square" top of seat in line with Photo above

d02755ab-3383-4b12-8ddb-92d78491e788.jpg

Pilots seat mount and seat in place (seat temporarily in place)

edfa0b8a-ecc2-4ff3-8d0a-157651be8c55.jpg

Okay, I'll leave it at that for now, I'll post more later on this arvo or evening

Thanks for looking in:D

Regards

Alan

• Like 13

Alan,

Late to this build, but like all of your projects, the research, history, add modeling craftsmanship are world class! Watching with great interest, taking copious notes, and saving your work as my go-to reference for an accurate 339! Thanks again for all of the information you have provided to me and many others regarding RNZAF P-40's, Corsairs, Venturas, Dauntlesses, and Buffalos! :thanks:

Mike