Arctic Decals new 1/48/-1/72 Comper Swift decals.. rumour of kits to follow?

TEXANTOMCAT

Been chatting with the good folk of Arctic Decals and helping them with the details for a future decal release for G-ABUS to go with the two sets of Comper Swift decals they have done (with paint masks) already for the 1/48 OOP white metal LDM kit and 1/72 vac Aeroclub kit.... however they have suggested they may cast a new Swift kit in the Autumnin 1/48 possibly to be followed by one in 1/72 - woohoo! 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1774494359388159&id=483832768454331

TT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/arcticdecals/posts/1874475756056685

Hello! I am sorry for the long silence. The last 2-3 years have gone with major house renovation/building projects in my house as well in my kid's own houses ("Daddy, we bought a house, could you help only a little bit..."). So, not much spare time for my hobby, as you can imangine.

Finally most of those activities are over and I have again found some time to continue drawing decals. A lot of customer one-off jobs are in queue to be made, as well as new additions in my own range.

I'll soon show here my newest releases, but at first here are some pix of the Swift project in early stage. This will be released in Arctic Decals range in 1/48 and 1/72 scales, fabricated by my friend Albert Serra.

245829977-1874473149390279-4432586575238

V.P.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

One Swift was in Spain during SCW and another one in Abyssinia during Italian invasion... The Abyssinian one is known from a photography, that it was wearing Swiss civil markings

ba15_jpg_original.jpg

Looks like overall red perhaps... The Spanish one is now on exposition in Madrid museum in livery from a long-distance flight, also in red with many decorations. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnEQN3jhzoWgHzB0v9IwU

It could be nice to have those decals...

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JWM said:

The Spanish one is now on exposition in Madrid museum in livery from a long-distance flight, also in red with many decorations. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnEQN3jhzoWgHzB0v9IwU

It could be nice to have those decals...

Agreed, J-W. The 1933 Madrid-Manila flight by Fernando Rein-Loring was one of the greatest made by a Swift and it would be nice to have those markings.

• Like 1

About the EC-AAT decals; I have not managed to find any pix about the original plane. That plane in Madrid museum is actually EC-HAM repainted to look like the original EC-AAT. Just wondering how correct the current markings are...

Regards,

Mika

2 hours ago, Mika Jernfors said:

About the EC-AAT decals; I have not managed to find any pix about the original plane. That plane in Madrid museum is actually E-HAMC repainted to look like the original EC-AAT. Just wondering how correct the current markings are...

Regards,

Mika

ScreenClip1222500x235-300x141.jpg

This picture is both in the Miranda book on British aircraft in the Spanish Civil War and the pages of the La Fundación Infante de Orleans.

You can try writing to FIO, they are a friendly bunch and some of them even speak English

https://fio.es/2019/03/27/comper-c-l-a-7-swift/

https://fio.es/2019/07/03/el-comper-cla-7-swift-de-la-fio/

From my visits there, I believe there was one Swift both in the Spanish AF museum (a non-flier) and the FIO hangar (capable of flying) - but it might be that I mix things up.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mika Jernfors said:

Thanks for the info. I need to be in touch with that museum and ask for some pix of the original plane. I'll probably release also these decals if I can get some provements.

Mika

Before she has registration EC-AAT it was some earlier style Spanish registration (I remember figure 2" in this registration, besides the other characters).  I think it is quoted in Miranda book... However during 1933 flight is was I think already EC-AAT. I am pretty sure, that Museum made very exact copy of the livery from the long flight. BTW  If you contact the Museum it would be also interesting how it was looking like in Republican hands during SCW...

Regards

J-W

Having checked my pictures from 2007 and 2018, I learned:

There are two Swifts in Madrid; a rebuild using some parts of the original in the Spanish AF museum and the flyer with FIO that is a recent purchase from the UK.

Both museums are extremely cramped and the best photo opportunity was in 2007 when they took the Swift out with the intention of flying it.

In 2018 the flying day was cancelled because of snow!

I have bundled up my photos from 2007 and 2018 as well as some other Comper Swift files I had on disk.

It can be downloaded from https://we.tl/t-kwxfsHtf8T

One folder with subfolders. 

As usual, for personal use only, no publication without agreement.

15 hours ago, JWM said:

Before she has registration EC-AAT it was some earlier style Spanish registration (I remember figure 2" in this registration, besides the other characters).  I think it is quoted in Miranda book... However during 1933 flight is was I think already EC-AAT. I am pretty sure, that Museum made very exact copy of the livery from the long flight. BTW  If you contact the Museum it would be also interesting how it was looking like in Republican hands during SCW...

Regards

J-W

According to Miranda, the temporary registration was EC-W-12.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mika for what you are doing. It's great to have news of a new Swift model

It would also be great to have the option of the more elegant pointy-nosed Swift prototype G-AARX.

Very best wishes for the project,

Tim

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Third boxing - ref. ARC72-K11C - Comper Swift - G-ABUS Black

Source: https://www.arcticdecals.com/products.html?id=45671/1140359

The third Comper kit; ARC72-K11C Comper Swift G-ABUS Black Magic resin kit, including decals. Fuselage and flying surface parts resin cast, other parts 3D printed. Available now via Arctic Decals website.

312335180-584701756789531-72824509670952

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Just received my kit through the post from Mika - what a lovely little thing and the decals are absolutely top notch - also the first time ever we have had a thank you in kit instructions! ;)  It's a super package well done Arctic Decals!

52470011755_4a85fd742c_w.jpgC4D426D9-EC1F-4266-87AA-9525757A4622 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

52469828259_b10d6102be_w.jpg5965A7F6-8A1B-480C-A3C6-A6A972E4DC74 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

Many thanks Mika! 

TT