MPM Wellington Mk.IC

Made a start on MPM's Wimpy last night.

spacer.png

I'm adding 4 CMK resin sets, interiour, undercarrage, flaps and engines. I'll be useing kit markings for an aircraft from 75 (NZ) Sqn based at Feltwell in Norfolk.

The nose section inside had to be sanded smooth before fiting a coupl e of resin pieces.

spacer.png

The CMK set replaces most of the pit pieces but also adds a radion and navigators compartment which should be quite visible with that long window along the sides.

spacer.png

And the front and rear turrets with resin barrels and one small PE piece.

spacer.png

It got primed this evening and i'll get it painted in the morning. I'll be working on the engines and undercarrage tonight.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chris. Not a bad kit for MPM.

One thing about this Wimpy kit is that there is nothing to represent the lattice work behind the windows. So i used some thin styrene rod painted aluminium. This took a few nights getting it all fitted. I had to sand down the edges of the bulkhead for it to fit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The fuselage went together pretty well considering its an MPM kit (i've had worse) and with the lattice work added. Though one small section did come away and its now wedged between the bulkhead and window.

spacer.png

The resin tail pieces fitted well.

spacer.png

The PE flaps were a different matter. Instructions say the ribs are to be 2mm apart and i excepted that. There are 30 on each wing, but it wasn't until i fitted 27 on the first that i realised the remaining 3 would not fill the gap. So i worked it out and it should have been clser to 2.5mm between each rib. So once i removed the 27 ribbs, and straighted out the bent ones, i got them fitted as they should have been.

spacer.png

I'm now working on the rather intricate resin engines.

• Like 8

G'day Bish,

What a lovely start. Looks like you will lick this into shape in no time.

Why tresin tail feathers? Was it for better scale thickness or is there a problem with the kit items,  their shape for example?

cheers,

Pappy 

Nice work on the interior, This kit got a lot of negative review but I enjoyed building it. I added some interior detail (not a patch on yours) but can't see a thing!

FWIW I found that I had to swap over the front and rear turrets to get them to fit (could have done with two small ones rather than one big and one small), and I also added a bit of Milliput to beef up the front "chin".

Looking forward to the next steps!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I had not seen any reviews on this kit, but i think most people know what they are getting with MPM kits. I have had worse builds than this.

Finally got an update. I was able to get the engines together. These are little kits by themselves. Each of the pistons along with all the pipe work are seperate parts, took a good couple of days to get these done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And got the aircraft painted. Once again the Montex masks have proved a pain with quite a few panels lifting. I am expecting to have to clean paint off clear part.

All paints are Xtracolor.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now to get the decals added.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

There is a bit of an issue with the decals for the subject i am doing. According to the instructions, V-AA of 75 Sqn was the aircraft on which Sgt ward climbed out onto the wing to put out an engine fire, for which he was awarded a VC. I have seen profile images and other models which say the same thing. But a few weeks ago i was looking at the Airfix kit instructions, and the aircarft with the call sign R-AA was supposadly the aircraft on which Sgt Ward was flying, and both have the same registration number, L7818. So i did some digging and several sources i found suggest the Airfix kit is correct. One site, which lists the call signs and registration numbers of the 75 Sqn Wellingtons not only confirmed that R-AA was Sgt Ward aircraft, but also had the registration L7818. The kit i have, V-AA, was L7848, pretty close. So, with that solved, as i don't have the decals to change the V to an R, but the MPM sheet included spare registrations some of which included a 4 in the right size and colour, that pretty much made the choice for me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I then gave it a flory wash and a flat coat and started adding some of the remaining parts. The engines were a bit tricky, getting the exhaust ring over the pipe work meant some squeezing things into place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A few final bits to add and the figures to sort out.

• Like 8

I got the Wimpy wrapped up today. I just had the last bits to add and attach it to the base with the figures and equipment. The figures are a CMK set designed to be used with a Wellington. The tower, truck and lader are all from the Airfix bomber re-supply set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was a nice build, especially for an MPM kit. I've had worse. The CMK engines were a bit tricky, mainly getting the exhaust ring on, bt it got there in the end.

I'm also glad to get an aircraft from Feltwell on my completed list. When i worked at RAF Lakenheath, we also worked on the base at Feltwell. Much of the old base is still there including the wartime hangers this aircraft would have used.

• Like 8

Thanks Steve. For my norfolk airfields builds, i really want as much variety as possbale, both with types and the airfoces that flew them. Its nice to get a New Zealand and Australian aircraft to go along side all the RAF and USAAF builds.

• Like 1

That is really really nice - a great tribute to 75 Squadron :thumbsup:

I enjoyed reading through your WIP, awesome stuff.

Thanks for sharing your build with us, gets a very big Kiwi Thumbs Up 🇳🇿 👍

Regards

Alan