Revell 1/72 F-16A

On 15/08/2021 at 03:16, stevehnz said:

Coming along in leaps & bounds, looking good too. What's the secret? :)

Steve.

No real secret Steve, I am just lucky that this is my only real hobby. plus that my life syle and SWMBO allows me do some each day.

• Like 1

Most of the bigger decals now applied. i have noticed that he tail band does not go all the way across, whether it is because the decals are designed for the Hasegawa kit I am not sure. As this is a multi coloured affair I will not be doing anything about it. Hopefully tonight I shall start on the walkways and then the stencils which are both coming from the kit decal sheet.

resized_bf66cf4e-7a99-45f3-be93-55b373c1

resized_b44b58b6-a3fd-49b1-8060-01d0fc04

resized_624433af-e702-4f5a-bc97-ae429887

• Like 5

The wing walk lines and the stencils have now applied. The kit decals although printed in Italy I am sure were not of Cartograf quality, they were certainly different from the Micro scale ones. I still have a few decals to apply to the canopy, some when the masking comes off. I have also been painting up the weapons, but for some reason I cannot find enough good AIM-9Ls in my collection. Hoefully some will appear soon. I shall also be applying a little weathering.

resized_3af331b7-25e7-495b-ac8a-8876b529

resized_11f5a7c7-22dc-4293-826c-e2360944

• Like 3

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately I have not had a good 24 Hrs with this build. First of all I sprayed the fuel tanks, ECM pod and Maverick missile with matt varnish whcih had some starnge reaction and turned some of the parts almost white. I do not what caused this as I sprayed the parts as I normally would, maybe I did it for a bit too long. Luckily I have repainted these and they do not look too bad if you look at themwith one eye closed and a hand over the other. Then I applied a Dk Grey wash to the U/C and bays so that they did not look so starkly white. I did ths in small sections, wiping away as uch as possible as quickly as I could. But the result was as if I had painted these areas with Dk Grey paint. I managed to remove some more with some IPA applied to a cotton bud, but it still looked awful. So I have painted these areas with some white again and the result is in the first picture. Hopefully this is a lot better. The second picture shows how the upper side looks.

resized_5b6daa09-3dda-4bd1-8a38-9c898661

resized_1d0ed1a3-14b0-4caa-bee7-8970d289

you have had some bad luck!

I have had Flat clear do the same thing, I found it's either because I sprayed it on a bit too thick, or I sprayed it in such a way it dried instantly it hit the model. Most of the time I found just carefully rubbing it back with a soft cloth did the trick. Plus it also gave it that worn shiny look that flat finishes get when wiped down too many times. 

Hopefully that the end of your dramas, she looks great! :thumbsup:  

Thanks Rich, I think that it was too much spray rather than anythnig else.

Anyhow almost finished. I have added the U/C doors and most of the armament (I still have the idewinders to decal which I will do tonight). I think that I have got the gun pod in the right place or near enough for government work. It quite a big weapon and I have placed it so the the front is close to the rear of the Fwd U/C door, but not close enough that the door would not close. I am hoping to get this finished so that I can display it at the show at the Tank Museum this weekend.

resized_bd324cea-71d9-4c1c-bfc1-fd692fa1

resized_6c98b230-97c8-43cf-99c3-bd3449d5

resized_8b9c25cf-a54b-460d-8eec-dddc6f14

resized_4adc1ab7-7075-49ed-adab-564b9ebc

• Like 4

well done on completing her, she looks fantastic!!!! :thumbsup:

I like the weapon load out you went for, it's quite different from what you normally see.

Glad you could join us here for the build, was great to have you along.