please help with question about German SD.kfz 8 DB 9

blackwolf

Hi all

I would like to ask a question on this forum concerning the Trumpeter  1/35 kit German Sd kfz 8 db 9 version

I would be very happy to know if any member  knows for certain if this vehicle depicted in the kit is ever seen action with the German Afrika Korps in the North African campaign?

My reserch shows some pics are available of the SDkfz 8 in Afrika Korps version  but i could only find pics of the DB 10 version

anyone can help me?

thanks very much in advance

stefano

alf-Track Artillery Tractor 09538

Model:09538

There is the saying never say never, but I think the chances are less than slim.  There were only 160 of the DB9 produced,  allocated chasis numbers 440001 to 440160 as found in the Nuts & Bolts Vol.16 publication.  The DB10 began production in 1939 and was the type most produced. 

regards,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack

thanks very much for your educated reply

I think you could be right about the chances of employment by the DAK

In your opinion where could this version  DB9 most likely to have been deployed in action then ?

may be early campaigns  Poland France or Benelux?

thanks again

stefano

Referencing back to the Nuts & Bolts publication, the wartime photos of the DB 9 all seem to taken during the early stages of the Russian campaign.  Most are examples from Hermann Hoth's Panzergruppe 3, and a few further identified as 7th Panzer Div.  

The included colour plates offer a wide choice of schemes, but only provide a year without identifying location or naming a specific unit.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG