Avro 504k

Torbjorn

Late to the party - time to commit.

I shall attempt to piece the following together:

-Airfix Avro 504k of 1960s vintage -£1.5

-Blue rider decals - £2 (half of sheet price)

-Rigging material - hair raided from the boss’s hairbrush -  £0

From the spares box, let’s say £1

-Roden Clerget from a Camel kit

-Nieuport seats from Eduard kits

-PE instruments

At a grand total of £4.5 this should fit perfectly with the spirit of the GB.

The mandatory photo of the kit contents, which came in a plastic bag:

yxJuUJF.jpg

And the decals, with proof I’ve started using it. The sheet unfortunately lacks the underwing numerals ’6’ which have to be painted on. Also, the rudder was quite likely white.

I shall have to scratch-build most of the under-carriage.

UxvtxdM.jpg

I’ll be building the depicted airplane, one of five Clerget-equipped 504K trainers bought by the Swedish navy aviation in 1923, taken in service as Flying boat no. 6 and used as a winter-time trainer. The navy did not operate any air fields, but used some ski-equipped aircraft during the winters on strips plowed on the ice. It was taken over by the Air Force when it was formed in ’26 and re-equipped with wheels but did not last long. In November 1927 ex-Fb6 crashed in the river Rönne due to engine failure: the instructor survived but trainee Bengt Richert could not be saved and drowned in the icy waters.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 7

As for the kit, you notice it is old:

jxbeaAl.jpg

There’s the reason for the replacement engines and seats.

I’ve begun filling in some huge sinkholes. Unfortunately there are 4 on the upper side of the lower wing, same size as those shown under the upper wing in the photo above. The rudder is thicker than the wings and has been unceremoniously sliced off from the fuselage. The ribs on the wings are ridges mirroring the panel line trenches of the newest Airfix generation. The detail on this 1964 vintage fuselage is rather fine on the other hand. The struts are molded in pairs, with a connecting piece to be anchored inside the upper wings. All in all a bargain for £1.5.

• Like 5

Funnily enough, although I did buy one this is one of the few Airfix kits I have never built. I used it together with an Airfix RE8 to follow a conversion in, I think, Airfix Magazine to make something looking somewhat like a Sopwith 11/2 strutter! If and when I get round to building my Eastern Express Sopwith I will find out how close it actually is.

In the meantime I will watch you build of the original with interest.

Pete

Welcome aboard! Not sure how that conversion works, but, comparing with the Toko Strutter, I’m afraid there is neither much likeness between the fuselages nor between the wings. First time I’ve opened one of my two Toko Strutters by the way, looks like a really nice kit. And for those I paid £2.5 each, hmmm....

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

When I did the conversion around 40 years ago I knew very little about the Strutter and thought it looks quite reasonable.

DSC05381-crop

Now I can see that the fuselage from the 504K is too shallow and the heavily modified wings from the RE8 are too thick but at the time there was probably nothing else available!

Pete

• Like 2

Hi Torbjorn. Welcome to the GB. Great to have you here and with what looks to be a very interesting project! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Looks like a Strutter to me :)

I made a start on the 504. The kit internals are rudimentary, two seats sitting on huge pegs. There I removed, found two Nieuport chairs in the spares box which look the part. I made a false floor, on which I built some frames (styrene strip), foot plates (tin can) and two sets of pedals and stick, this being a trainer version. Also made an attempt at instrument boards - which will barely be seen - and a hand pump. Halves ready to be glued together:

w8ICBZP.jpg

• Like 8

Closing the fuselage showed a gap of some 0.5 mm between the halves - one side is heigher than the other all the way aft of the cockpits. I arranged for the gap to be only on the underside by aligning the upper. The gap I believe is due to the underside of one half being pressed upwards, but it was too stiff to bend down. Instead I filled it in woth plastic sheet and automotive putty. 

The lower wong had even larger gaps. The photo belows show the result of the automotive putty and filling of the wing gaps being made by stuffing the holes with scrap styrene.

DzY9KXW.jpg

The three pairs of large cutouts are for attaching the undercarriage. Due to bad fit I shall probably add them before painting to allow for more putty and sanding.

• Like 6

Hi Torbjorn. Fantastic progress and I'm really impressed with your additional detailing in the cockpit! Hopefully the gappy joints will look okay after you have worked on them and got some paint on.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stix.

Went ahrad and attached thr undercarriage. The Swedish one had a different style of shock absorbers so I made bew ones out of brass rod and tube. Also replaced the central ”ski” (I guess it’s a anti-nose-tip device), not because there were anything wrong with the kit, but I broke it while taking care of some sinkholes. The old plastic 

has become a bit brittle - makes one wonder avout the longevity of these things.

JJOvsqE.jpg

Also started on the struts, which as shown above goes into grooves in the upper wing.

4RaIBIv.jpg

Consistently enough the the groves are twice as large as need be and a lot of filling is needed. I therefore attached them before painting. 

gAOzTvG.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Torbjorn. It does look like you have a lot patience - and a good job too! But you obviously have the skills as well to make it look so good! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Parience is the word... when you are sloppy with the masking and have to repaint and repaint. Finally there. 

mJxIfri.jpg

Actually the pic is only almost there: the fuselage section where the wing root is attached should be black. The CDL is layers of Vallejo Aged White and AK CDL. The cowling is Vallejo metallic black primer.

I also made a set of skis from styrene strip and sheet.

The last (hopefully) layer of black is drying, soon it’s assembly time.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 6

For the painting I used the Duxford 504k as inspiration for the colours. The top deck is not wood, but a different creamy colour - I’m not entirely sure if this is accurate but it adds variation and is as likely as any other given the information (BW photos) I have.

I have to admit I never attached an upper wing so effortlessly. The old Airfix system may not be the easiest to create a clean finish but it does make attaching the upper wing a walk in the park:

3JSy5vk.jpg

As I have filled in the cabane strut attachment points (”point” is 0-dimensional and therefore a very generous description of the very three-dimensional ledges that used to be there) these have to be cut to shape in situ.

I still haven’t attached the skis, as I would undoubtly knock them off during rigging. For the rigging I follow the same procedure as last time: all wires are already attached to te upper wing, which will be threaded through pre-drilled holes in the lower wing.

• Like 8

Hi Torbjorn. Well it looks, from here, that you are making excellent progress with your build. The paintwork looks great and good luck with the rigging! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 4:34 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Torbjorn. Well it looks, from here, that you are making excellent progress with your build. The paintwork looks great and good luck with the rigging! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, I feel I need it with British types and their double wires and sometimes awkward connection points. Cabane rigging is bo favourite either, and the 504 has enough of that.

ylxK1zG.jpg

Getting closer. Landing gear attached and most of the rigging. Of course I had forgotten the underwing ”6”:s so a delicate work followed with masking and spraying these. If the engine looks loose it’s because it is, apparently the glue didn’t take and it’s rattling about in its cowl cage.

• Like 9

You are doing a superb job on this one,...... I love the scheme, the ski undercarriage and good luck with the rigging,...... I don`t envy you there, but you are doing a great job of that too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I have finished the rigging, added the gravity tank, home-made rudder and finally under-wing bumpers from stretched sprue.  The black dots centrally on the upper wing are fairleads for the aileron wire. When I have time I will straightenout some of the shock absorbers that got bent and take photos for the gallery.

1aXn4fl.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Torbjorn. Wow!! What a beautiful model! Absolutely superb modelling and it looks wonderful in the Gallery!! Very well done! :worthy:

Thank you for building it in this GB. 

Kind regards, 

Stix