1/72 Sword EF-10B Skyknight, Vietnam

Superb Skynight , excellent modelling and presentation. I did not know they were used in Vietnam,  you learn something new every day !

Wulfman

• Like 2

Very nice indeed! I would like the Skynight both for my Korean War and Vietnam War collections. I have built dozens of limited-run kits over the years, so I'm rather experienced when it comes to the 'charms' of these types of kits. How hard to build is this kit? I'm not scared of a little fitting, fettling, and sanding (it's called modelling). I've heard some scary things about this kit, but then I've heard scary things about limited-run kits that I did not personally find all that challenging (the AML La-5F comes to mind).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Looking at the completed model, it's hard to guess there were issues building it. I'm very impressed!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 6:05 PM, Learstang said:

Very nice indeed! I would like the Skynight both for my Korean War and Vietnam War collections. I have built dozens of limited-run kits over the years, so I'm rather experienced when it comes to the 'charms' of these types of kits. How hard to build is this kit? I'm not scared of a little fitting, fettling, and sanding (it's called modelling). I've heard some scary things about this kit, but then I've heard scary things about limited-run kits that I did not personally find all that challenging (the AML La-5F comes to mind).

Regards,

Jason

Cheers guys.  

With previous experience of these little charmers then you will be absolutely fine Jason.  The intakes are an awful fit and the compressor sits too far forward.  I had to grind away loads of the fuselage so that I could fit in a longer intake and then blend it in.  There are also external wiring ducts that need to be removed from both sides of the upper fuselage.  A bit of guesswork and dry fitting is needed for the entire cockpit and IP area.  Canopy needs sanding on 10 sides and loads of dry fitting...!!  Nose wheel leg is too long and needs fitting to the well floor for the correct height.  Gun ports need drilling out.  Scribing all over for better panel lines.  Give me an Academy F-8 any day of the week...!!  😂

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sanding, fitting, and more sanding. And guesswork. Sounds pretty much par for the course for a limited-run kit. I think I shall buy me two of these beasties and have at them. Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts!

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

You wouldn't say you had any issues looking at the completed article - lovely work! 

On 7/3/2021 at 7:05 PM, Learstang said:

I would like the Skynight both for my Korean War and Vietnam War collections.

Well, good luck finding one... I've been looking for ages for the Vietnam boxing (and Swords TF-9 Twogar). I'm not sure of the amount of kits produced by Sword in a typycal production run, but it appears to be a matter of "when tey're gone, they're gone". 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Well, good luck finding one... I've been looking for ages for the Vietnam boxing (and Swords TF-9 Twogar). I'm not sure of the amount of kits produced by Sword in a typycal production run, but it appears to be a matter of "when tey're gone, they're gone". 

Cheers,

Andre 

Unfortunately, that is often the case. I've had some luck looking on eBay for 'old' Sword kits. A quick search I just did on eBay pulled up four kits of the F3D-2 (Korean War), priced from 30USD to 38USD. I've had problems finding the FJ-3M Fury, however, which I would love to have. I feel your pain about the Twogar - another kit I want for my Vietnam War collection.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Very nice, and the result was worth the fight! I am impressed you knew to remove the external cable ducts that ran on both sides of the kit fuselage, as the airplane Sword used for research was one of the two airframes bailed to Raytheon for missile testing, and the ducts connected the instrumentation installed in the fuselage. Although painted as a Marine Korean War night fighter while on display at the Flying Leatherneck Museum, Sword was unaware that the cable ducts were not present on an operational airplane when they molded the kit. (Matchbox got this right, but the Sword kit was much better.)  It's a BIG airplane up close and personal- ask me how I know!

Mike 

Seer the linked photo that shows the cable ducting on the museum aircraft. Good save!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Marines/Douglas-F-10B-Skyknight/1686599/L

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Learstang said:

A quick search I just did on eBay pulled up four kits of the F3D-2 (Korean War), priced from 30USD to 38USD.

The Korean War boxing turns up sometimes - I have one in the stash - but not the Vietnam era boxing. Unfortunately. 

I live in hope for a combined Vietnam-era Marines VMCJ-sheet in 1/72nd... RF-4B, EA-6A, EF-10B... some HM&MS FAC Skyhawks, while they're at it...

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, Learstang said:

I've had problems finding the FJ-3M Fury, however, which I would love to have.

Well, I just noticed on the Aviation Megastore site that it looks like the FJ-3M is being reissued: 

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/north-american-fj-33m-fury-expected-august-2021-sword-sw72139-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=180890

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1