1/72 - de Havilland DH.100 Vampire F.Mk.3 & FB.Mk.9 by Special Hobby - F.Mk.3 & Mk.9 released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.100 Vampire F.Mk.III by Special Hobby - box art - re-release in 2021

American? The box art example looks very much like it's in Canadian markings. There is a difference, you know - if you look at a map, Canada is the upper one, America is the lower one, except for Alaska. Besides, I'm doubtful the USAF ever flew the Vampire, unless for test purposes. Nice try, SH... :fuyou_2:

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The link says in service of RCAF, RAF, Norway and Mexico. So unless you want to deny our Canadian and Mexican friends their place on the American continent ...

And I see Piotr was the faster writer😀

• Like 7

Well, without a clarifying context I would agree but, at least for me, "European and American Users" phrase has context "users from the continent of Europe and the continent of America". As non-native English speaker I've checked both Merriam-Webster and Cambridge Dictionary (because every opportunity to learn something new is good), but I can't see any error in this kind of use of that name. Perhaps these are differences specific to speakers of English who come from outside the Anglo-Saxon cultural and linguistic background?

• Like 5

Special Hobby do have a way with their box top labelling, isn’t one of their Mirage F1’s boxes titled “Commie Killers”? Cant wait to see what else they come out with! 

Cheers.. Dave 

20 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Well, without a clarifying context I would agree but, at least for me, "European and American Users" phrase has context "users from the continent of Europe and the continent of America". As non-native English speaker I've checked both Merriam-Webster and Cambridge Dictionary (because every opportunity to learn something new is good), but I can't see any error in this kind of use of that name. Perhaps these are differences specific to speakers of English who come from outside the Anglo-Saxon cultural and linguistic background?

I think it would have been easier for US citizens to understand if they called it "Users in Europe and the Americas".

A few years ago, one of my crew members complained about being the only American on the vessel - he did not see it the same way as I did when I pointed to the fact that besides this Texan, we had two Brazilians, five mainland Canadians and seven Newfies among us.

Many US citizens refer to the USA as America, if they are to refer to both USA and the other states on the continent, the expression is "Americas"   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

A few years ago, one of my crew members complained about being the only American on the vessel - he did not see it the same way as I did when I pointed to the fact that besides this Texan, we had two Brazilians, five mainland Canadians and seven Newfies among us.

I have to ask - what did he call them? Aliens? 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.100 Vampire F.Mk.3 by Special Hobby - box art - re-release in 2021
On 7/3/2021 at 6:38 PM, John Thompson said:

Obviously, but in common usage, "American" and "North American" aren't synonymous. Neither are "American" and "South American".

John

Let's agree to disagree on that, John. I still support your "Make a 1/72 Yak-9!" campaign fully!

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 2:08 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Special Hobby do have a way with their box top labelling, isn’t one of their Mirage F1’s boxes titled “Commie Killers”? Cant wait to see what else they come out with! 

Cheers.. Dave 

And their Sunderland Mk V has something like 'Fighting commies in Europe and Asia' on it.   Love it. 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.100 Vampire F.Mk.3 & FB.Mk.9 by Special Hobby - box art - release Autumn 2021

Interesting! I hope the decal options will include WX207 from 213 Squadron in the cool PRU/Medium Sea Grey/Light Slate Grey scheme.

Will the kit use a resin part for the changed starboard intake (difference between the FB.5 and FB.9)?

2 minutes ago, Doc72 said:

Will the kit use a resin part for the changed starboard intake (difference between the FB.5 and FB.9)?

The basic SH Vampire kit has always had the longer FB.9 intake as an 'extra' part on the sprues, so there's no need for an additional resin part.  

Cheers. Dave 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.100 Vampire F.Mk.3 & FB.Mk.9 by Special Hobby - box art+decals+schemes - release Autumn 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.100 Vampire F.Mk.3 & FB.Mk.9 by Special Hobby - F.Mk.3 released

Nice subject but for me I already have an F3 converted from a 5 and wearing the same RCAF decals as the new kit from a Leading Edge set. BUt will look to adding one of these though.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Homebee said:

Schemes - ref. SH72455 - de Havilland DH.100 Vampire FB.Mk.9 - "Tropicalized Fighter-Bomber"

https://www.specialhobby.net/2021/11/sh72455-vampire-fb-mk9-nahled-kamuflazi.html

V.P.

Nice selection of schemes. It will be hard to decided which to make.