1/48 Eduard Morane Saulnier "Bullet"

Hi everyone – work has been keeping me very busy of late, so here is my latest completion (my first in well over six months), the 1/48 Eduard Morane Saulnier Type N "Bullet".

This is the 8090 non-profipack kit, released 15 years ago back in 2004.  The kit is quite an easy build (which is what I needed, having not really built much recently), but I did make a few adjustments and additions here and there. I added some RFC style seatbelts, wiring for instruments, some spare Lewis drums in the cockpit, a gaspatch Lewis gun, some external details here and there, strengthened the tailplane by replacing the elevator shaft with brass tube, and replaced the kit wheels (which are way too small) with Eduard after-market RFC-style wheels.

The markings came from the spares box. The kit was painted in the markings of A.175 of No 60 SQN, Royal Flying Corps. This was the machine in which the first Commanding Officer of 60 SQN, Major Francis “Ferdy” Waldron, was shot down and mortally wounded on 03 July 1916. The encounter is described thus in Alex Revell’s Osprey Book on 60 SQN RFC:

“On the morning of 3 July, ‘Ferdy’ Waldron led 5 bullets in a patrol to decoy attention away from NE 2cs attacking St Quentin. Lts J H Simpson and D V Armstrong fell out with engine trouble, but Waldron, Lt H H Balfour and Capt R R Smith-Barry flew on, above the Arras to Cambrai road. Approaching Cambrai, a formation of enemy two seaters, led by a Fokker E Type was seen, followed by two additional Fokker monoplanes, bringing the number of enemy machines to around  a dozen. Undeterred by these odds, Waldron immediately led Balfour and Smith-Barry in an attack. Harrold Balfour later wrote: ‘I’m sure they were not contemplating war at all but Ferdy pointed us towards them and led us straight in. My next impressions were rather mixed. I seemed to be surrounded by Huns in two-seaters’. Waldron was outmanoeuvred and attacked by a two seater, flown by Uffz Howe of FA5b. Balfour saw that his CO was in trouble and succeeded in driving off the enemy, but the damage was done. Waldron had been badly wounded, and although he managed to crash land his damaged Morane behind enemy line, he died of his wounds that night”.

Indeed a brave chap, who suffered the same fate as many who courageously faced enormous odds in combat above the front lines.  

Anyways, here are some pictures:

OfzviMX.jpg

ArUlotM.jpg

5btmaQI.jpg

jG4u05b.jpg

9ijgie8.jpg

OdYXt4x.jpg

bN5ExvR.jpg

190iASb.jpg

9jrRBU7.jpg

SWSdFQ7.jpg

h9NmFiX.jpg yuQ4yzQ.jpg

mpdueRf.jpg

GxBLA0Q.jpg

All in all, not my best build but certainly good to finally get a run on the board for 2021.  All feedback welcomed as always!

Cheers,

Brad   

Edited by Brad Cancian
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Holzhamer said:

Wow, that is an impressive little bullet. Superbly painted and weathered. Rigging this one is a feat on its own I feel. Thumbs up!

Many thanks Holzhamer, much appreciated! Thankfully the rigging on this one is much simpler than some other WW1 models! :)

Cheers,

BC

Wonderful! I love the paint job and the excellent photography. If that's not your 'best build' what the hack would you want to improve?

14 hours ago, Toryu said:

Wonderful! I love the paint job and the excellent photography. If that's not your 'best build' what the hack would you want to improve?

Hey.  What Michael said!  ^^^ 😀

Gee, that bird looks great to me; I could never pull that off!  :clap2:

2 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Hey.  What Michael said!  ^^^ 😀

Gee, that bird looks great to me; I could never pull that off!  :clap2:

Thanks Grant, you're too kind - sometimes the camera is too, haha!  :)

• Like 1

You`ve done a wonderful job there Brad,...... and great to hear the background too. I have one of these planned but it won`t be that good,...... could I ask what colours/paints you used for the fabric covering and the cowlings please?

Cheers

Tony

7 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Great work, as always. You're motivating me to get on and resume building, despite the Canberra cold permeating my garage!

Thanks Rob - those Canberra winters can be beat with a good bar heater - ask me how I know :) I hope all is well otherwise.

Tony - I paint primarily in acrylics - the fabric was Gunze radome, and the cowling was good old Tamiya flat red :)

Thanks again to all!

BC