Dremel and polishing

Herrick

If you're talking about polishing plastic the high speed of the Dremel is more likely to destroy the surface than polish it.  The heat generated does not conduct away and can result in locallised melting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Circloy said:

If you're talking about polishing plastic the high speed of the Dremel is more likely to destroy the surface than polish it.  The heat generated does not conduct away and can result in locallised melting.

I thought that might be the case.

I think there’s someone on here powers a Dremel through some kind of voltage reducer, which effectively enables control of the rpm low enough to be functional on plastic.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wombat said:

I think there’s someone on here powers a Dremel through some kind of voltage reducer, which effectively enables control of the rpm low enough to be functional on plastic.

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Hand polishing pads are quite effective. Just remember to step through each grit. 

Thanks guys, I think the hand polishing approach is the one I’ll follow. I tried my Dremel with the lowest speed and smallest polishing pad, but it still snatched. I could see the potential for damage to the surface so stopped.

I bought my Dremel years ago but have never really used it for anything constructive!

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

My older Dremel with it's speed controller and Flexi-shaft.

39335201234_580bd6f338_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks for the response Chris. I searched for Dremel motor speed control, but the only hits were American, so presumably wrong voltage.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wombat said:

For small areas, I’ve got one of those “middle of Lidl” battery tooth polishers, with different grades of Wet&dry superglued to the interchangeable heads. 

Sounds like a good idea! 

I knocked this up from a cheap super drug cordless electric tooth brush. Punched out discs with a 13mm hole punch (sharpened 15mm copper pipe works just as well) from various grit sanding sheets, micro-mesh and sticky back felt. I attached them with double sides tape or 13mm self-adhesive Velcro discs for a softer backing for rounded surfaces. I still have more heads to make but it seems to work quite well for sanding and polishing. Trouble is the wife keeps wanting to nick it to do her nailsspacer.pngspacer.png

3 hours ago, Tony G said:

I knocked this up from a cheap super drug cordless electric tooth brush. Punched out discs with a 13mm hole punch (sharpened 15mm copper pipe works just as well) from various grit sanding sheets, micro-mesh and sticky back felt. I attached them with double sides tape or 13mm self-adhesive Velcro discs for a softer backing for rounded surfaces. I still have more heads to make but it seems to work quite well for sanding and polishing. Trouble is the wife keeps wanting to nick it to do her nailsspacer.pngspacer.png

Can't see photos!

Chris