New Tool Vulcan B2 - "rivet counted" build X2 - second build now active

Hello everyone.                          Rivet counting Xtradecal X72331.

I’ve not seen anyone mention these new decals yet, a recent new arrival at Hannants. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some excellent schemes, choices-choices 😋.  The decal instructions do have one grammatical error in that XM575 is stated in wearing a white underside whilst the art is showing Light A/C Grey.   As an aside to this I don’t recall seeing XM575 wearing this scheme, that’s not to say Xtradecal are wrong ( they’re usually very well researched ). Though I am a XM575 nut. 

Hope this helps.        😉

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hello everyone.                          Rivet counting Xtradecal X72331.

I’ve not seen anyone mention these new decals yet, a recent new arrival at Hannants. 

I would definitely question the accuracy of these given they have XM571, XM570 and XM607 labelled as a B2.MRR, a camo Vulcan with earlier Type D roundels having one on both wings, a missing TFR from the RNZAF zapped XH562 scheme.

I may be wrong but I've never seen anything about the different proportions on XM607's roundels anywhere else

I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of 575 with the standard grey underside. Don't think she had it for very long before being repainted in wrap around camouflage

A few photos of the white underside scheme here

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XM575

Also a photo of the white underside scheme in the 1970s here

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Reparty said:

That's great, thanks Rich. It's unlikely I'll make one in that scheme, a silver B1, a white B1A, and possibly a Blue Steel carrier of some description with the more common MSG/DG scheme being quite enough, thank you. But it's nice to know these things. Thanks again.

Good luck with the plastic butchery for a B1 and B1a can't wait to see those

I've been pressing Jennings over at Fundekal to print some additional 'A's and 'H's with the rest of the regular light blue serials for years.

(The B1 & B1A are mostly done and based on the original kit).

His last cryptic message was 'watch this space', so I'm hoping they'll be on one of their new Vulcan sheets.

Ok so update on a few things.

First, a change in my modelling situation. You might have noticed that I haven't updated this thread in a while, or any other thread I have on the go. I moved to uni accommodation a few weeks ago, and that doesn't really lend itself to building and painting 1/72 Vulcans. I've bought a bunch of stuff for a much smaller models setup, I did seriously consider the idea of bringing my airbrush with a small compressor, but due to the insurmountable problem of not enough space and nowhere to put a vent hose from an extractor (the windows open about 2 inches) I decided against this in the end, so it's hairy sticks and rattle cans from here for a while. Next time I will likely be home for any decent amount of time will probably be Christmas so this thread is kind of over until then. I intend to work on my 1/32 Lancaster then not the second Vulcan. While I'm at uni I'll build small things as and when I can but don't expect too much, I've started an Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon and have some Spitifres and 1/200 Vulcans to build.

Next, where I got up to before I left for uni. All the small bits are now attached. The only thing missing is the Blue Steel Missile, something I'll finish if I'm home for a weekend at some point. I have the intake blanks in, so for now it's parked up without the missile which kind of makes sense.

IMG_20210906_171557~2 IMG_20210906_171658~2

IMG_20210906_171315205_HDR~2 IMG_20210906_174029668_HDR~2

I think I'll call it here for now then, as finished as it's going to get for a while. I'll make the RFI thread at some point soon(ish) with more photos that I took before I left. As you can see form the photo above, I got out a Victor and Valiant to photograph with it.

11 minutes ago, Reparty said:

I've been pressing Jennings over at Fundekal to print some additional 'A's and 'H's with the rest of the regular light blue serials for years.

(The B1 & B1A are mostly done and based on the original kit).

His last cryptic message was 'watch this space', so I'm hoping they'll be on one of their new Vulcan sheets.

It's quite easy to print your own

• Like 12

On 07/10/2021 at 11:56, Adam Poultney said:

It's quite easy to print your own

Indeed it is, which is one of the reasons I'd bought a laser printer.

Getting matched, consistent colours - especially blues - isn't quite as easy.

Good luck continuing with any modelling at uni! I gave up when I went, enjoying four years in various states of inebriation, sports and (often unsuccessfully) trying to impress women. I give you about two weeks before the only modelling you do is standing on a pub table with a traffic cone on your head! 😂

Nice Vulcan by the way!

• Haha 5

Hi Adam

As this is a rivet counting thread, hope you don't mind me picking up on something I've just spotted and you don't appear to have commented on - the Blue Steel insert in the new kit omits the missile cooling system NACA intake and exhaust vent on the starboard side of the bomb bay, and the vent depicted on the port side aft should in fact be in a mirror position on the starboard side. The original tooling had all 3 items correctly positioned if a little soft in rendering.  These features aren't easy to spot in photos, I've found several as per Airfix original release, but I've not found a photo of a Blue Steel Vulcan where I can positively say the fairing is as per the new kit.

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/avro-vulcan-with-blue-steel-missile.17270/full?d=1521491454

https://en.missilery.info/files/m/blue_steel/vulcan_b2_blue_steel_alex_christie.jpg

The Avro Blue Steel stand-off nuclear bomb, on its transportation 'dolly' underneath an Avro Vulcan B.2 A prior to being attached to the bomb-bay.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Hi Adam

As this is a rivet counting thread, hope you don't mind me picking up on something I've just spotted and you don't appear to have commented on - the Blue Steel insert in the new kit omits the missile cooling system NACA intake and exhaust vent on the starboard side of the bomb bay, and the vent depicted on the port side aft should in fact be in a mirror position on the starboard side. The original tooling had all 3 items correctly positioned if a little soft in rendering.  These features aren't easy to spot in photos, I've found several as per Airfix original release, but I've not found a photo of a Blue Steel Vulcan where I can positively say the fairing is as per the new kit.

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/avro-vulcan-with-blue-steel-missile.17270/full?d=1521491454

https://en.missilery.info/files/m/blue_steel/vulcan_b2_blue_steel_alex_christie.jpg

The Avro Blue Steel stand-off nuclear bomb, on its transportation 'dolly' underneath an Avro Vulcan B.2 A prior to being attached to the bomb-bay.

You seem to be correct,  a little disappointing that Airfix have yet another detail wrong.

• Like 1

Hello everyone.                    Rivet counting - that missing central wiper.

I’ve  just picked up this mag. As soon as I saw it on the shelf at Tesco’s I noticed that the central wiper blade was missing, in the article there is what appears to be another A/C that also does not display a central wiper. Of note, all A/C are white. Hope this helps. 😉

spacer.png

This cover photo is really appealing to me. 

20 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hello everyone.                    Rivet counting - that missing central wiper.

I’ve  just picked up this mag. As soon as I saw it on the shelf at Tesco’s I noticed that the central wiper blade was missing, in the article there is what appears to be another A/C that also does not display a central wiper. Of note, all A/C are white. Hope this helps. 😉

spacer.png

This cover photo is really appealing to me. 

Oooo night have to look for a copy of that, it's a great photo of a Vulcan B1. I had a look at some other early Vulcans and it seems that the central wiper may have been a later addition, certainly missing from most early B1s and all wipers were initially missing from both prototypes. Early B2s seem to be missing them as well but they are on ones in early camo schemes

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I think I might restart work on the second one soon. The current plan will be an Olympus 201 powered Vulcan in a white scheme, posssibly the ill-fated XL385 of 9 Sqn.

XL385 was built as a conventional bomber with 201s, but was later converted to carry Blue Steel and refitted with Olympus 301s and the extra ECM plate carried by most Blue Steel Vulcans. It was destroyed in a ground fire, I think at Scampton, thankfully the crew escaped. 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Adam,     long time no see. 

XL385 was destroyed 6th April 1967, the No 1 engine exploded on the takeoff run, everything from the nose section aft was consumed by fire, on that day in time it appears to be wearing glossy feathered edge paint finish.      😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hi Adam,     long time no see. 

XL385 was destroyed 6th April 1967, the No 1 engine exploded on the takeoff run, everything from the nose section aft was consumed by fire, on that day in time it appears to be wearing glossy feathered edge paint finish.      😉

Yes I've seen the photos. The one from above features in a book my dad has, looking through that when I was a young kid I never liked that page! Now it's a fascinating look into the construction of a Vulcan.

It was almost certainly be the scheme you say, hard edge was introduced only the same month that it burned iirc. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of her in camouflage before her demise though.

• Like 1

Although this is an image of the model that became XM594, the cockpit of the second kit is at a similar point to this photo. I'll get a photo of the actual one later when I get back home from work.

IMG_20210704_144856820_HDR~2

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I shall look forward to your second build.

I really must finish my first…!😔

Yes you must! Didn't you start it about the same time as my first? Maybe the revival of my second build will be the kick up the backside you need to get on with yours 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Yes you must! Didn't you start it about the same time as my first? Maybe the revival of my second build will be the kick up the backside you need to get on with yours

About the same time - the beginning of July last year! Spare time for builds is lacking at the moment but I will resume this one again soon! 🙂

Apologies for the delay in posting this, but here is a proper update on model #2. I've decided that outside of the front area of the cockpit any further work on the interior will likely be at a minimum level of detail, it just cannot be seen.

20220802_053827

20220802_053835

For those who need them, some reference photos of the cockpit of Vulcan B2 XM655 at Wellesbourne.

20220611_115958

20220611_115941 20220611_122532

20220611_120650

20220611_122956 _DSC0279

_DSC0280

• Like 6