New Tool Vulcan B2 - "rivet counted" build X2 - second build now active

Dave - I know a lot of people have waited a long time, but I wasn't happy with the resin/white metal & photo etch result so am redesigning it for 3D printing. I know I keep on about 3D printing, but it is a game changer.

I never give release dates because too many things can go wrong.

Here is some of the chassis detail, which I feel is reasonable for 1:72 and 1:48.

spacer.png

WV908 - I don't know if the Hendon one is the only one (I suspect it probably is), but that is the one I photographed and measured with the kind help of the museum

I have posted a full list of Vulcan GSE in the Manufacturers forum - see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235096454-vulcan-ground-support-equipment/

Edited by tnuag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/10/2021 at 5:51 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm a just little jealous at you lot, these 'From a different angle' books are not as easy to acquire outside the UK. 

The Vulcan to the Sky website has these on sale for GBP25.00, although I then need to fork out another GBP29.99 for postage to Australia!!!!

Anyone know of another seller? I'd be happy with either edition. 

Cheers.. Dave  

It's even higher to the U.S.!

Wow what a thread, I've taken the very simplistic approach on my build as I know very little about the Vulcan. 

Interesting about the nose seems, along with a massive amount of other facts and observations. 

14 hours ago, tnuag said:

Dave - I know a lot of people have waited a long time,

It was just a light hearted dig to let you know we're still wanting it, I'm sure the wait will be worth it, meantime I've got a Blue Steel to stick on a certain bomb trolley 🤣

15 hours ago, tnuag said:

Dave - I know a lot of people have waited a long time, but I wasn't happy with the resin/white metal & photo etch result so am redesigning it for 3D printing. I know I keep on about 3D printing, but it is a game changer.

I never give release dates because too many things can go wrong.

Here is some of the chassis detail, which I feel is reasonable for 1:72 and 1:48.

spacer.png

WV908 - I don't know if the Hendon one is the only one (I suspect it probably is), but that is the one I photographed and measured with the kind help of the museum

I have posted a full list of Vulcan GSE in the Manufacturers forum - see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235096454-vulcan-ground-support-equipment/

If you are modelling the dreaded Mantador you must at least model the poor sods tasked with defuelling and washing down the missile after it had been disarmed and down loaded from the aircraft :-

spacer.png

Wittering,  February 1964 - I'm a much younger me 2nd left dribbling on the floor.

Photo - The Stamford Mercury

Dennis

Edit :- The building in the background was the much publicised "Hangar of Death", the  missile servicing hangar.  It later became the Harrier OCU shed (my 2nd tour at Wittering) and is now a museum.  

It is also  a Listed Building.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

If you are modelling the dreaded Mantador you must at least model the poor sods tasked with defuelling and washing down the missile.....

They look very much like the firemen in the old Airfix RAF rescue set

Right so back home tomorrow via XJ823 just outside Carlisle. It's an 8 hour trip not including the stop to see the Vulcan (and I'm literally only going so I can photograph the Vulcan, I'll go back another time to see the rest of that museum). Hopefully I can get some photos of the wheel wells, otherwise I'll be going to Coventry or Newark to rephotograph those ones with better photos of a lot of bits I missed last time I photographed each one. 

I'm quite looking forward to getting back to building this. Hopefully I can catch up with all the other builds going on pretty quickly, and then get straight onto the second one, back to my and at least finish the fuselage, finish a Frog Vulcan and build a Victor B1 before I go to uni..... That's a lot of modelling to do.

Anyway, while I've been up in Scotland I've managed to do pretty much every aviation related thing I wanted to get done. 

First, the Buccaneer at the site of the now closed Highland Aviation Museum. It's an S1, XK532, which is one of four surviving examples of that variant. Since the museum is closed, and it's the only aircraft left on site, I could only see it through the fence. Oh well, if I want to photograph an S1 up close again I'll go back to Newark.

Not a great photo, better ones are on my camera which I can't get the photos off until I get home tomorrow (I can't put the SD card into my laptop and don't have the lead for it with me).

IMG_20210713_150012

Then another Buccaneer, at a petrol station in Elgin, just down the road from Lossiemouth. This one is an S2B, a lot more of these around but this scheme is particularly nice with the shark mouth fuel tanks. It's a 12 Sqn aircraft as well, the fox insignia is pretty much the same as it was on XM602 in her 12 Sqn days.

IMG_20210717_134100

A trip over to Loch Ness, coincidentally where one of the surviving Wellingtons was found.

IMG_20210713_125617

I think it was found about here

IMG_20210713_133040

Unfortunately no sightings of any extinct suropterygians this time. 

Then off to Morayvia the other day.

A few useful surprises there, these V Bomber rear seats were in a display inside.

IMG_20210718_115704

Vulcan for sure

IMG_20210718_115713

Another one!

IMG_20210718_115058

Crew door from XH561, I actually built a model of this Vulcan last year... not my best one but it looks fine in the display cabinet.

IMG_20210718_115034

Instrument panel from an unspecified Vulcan, and an old Airfix Vulcan painted as XM602 in the same scheme as the new kit.

IMG_20210718_115012

IMG_20210718_115128

IMG_20210718_115136

IMG_20210718_115118

A rare Valiant cockpit, unfortunately hidden away out of view so a good photo wasn't possible.

IMG_20210718_131115

I didn't actually know this had been moved to Morayvia until I saw it. 

XH563, Vulcan B2.MRR. I think it's the only one currently in this scheme, with the combination of a black radome and two shade roundels.

IMG_20210718_131040

Windscreen wipers! Good job Airfix didn't go with this position.... that would be a pain to mask.

IMG_20210718_131415

Because I'm a total Vulcan nerd when it comes to the specifics of each airframe, I remembered that XH563 was never equipped with TFR. So I took this opportunity to photograph the original smooth nose. Of the 30 surviving Vulcans (19 complete, 11 cockpits) only the cockpits of XA893, XA903, XH537 and this one, XH563, have the smooth nose.

IMG_20210718_131427

A slightly rusty pitot, certainly not the worst I've seen (that dubious honour goes to XL319, which needs a new pitot really. I'm sure it'll be dealt with as more is restored on that Vulcan).

IMG_20210718_131358

This aerial was unique to the B2.MRR... and XL361 for some reason (it was used for trialling this, why they didn't just trial it on one of the airframes which was to become an MRR Vulcan I have no idea). 

IMG_20210718_131235

• Like 6

Forgot to mention, I bought this for a very good price at Morayvia. Only £50, if I could fit more in the already very full car on the way back I probably would have bought another... maybe 2 more. Definitely will be camouflaged, I don't have a 1/72 camo Victor. If a Mk1 conversion set for the Airfix kit appears by the time this is built, well that would be a tempting option.... camouflaged Mk1 tanker.

IMG_20210718_153157

And also Lossiemouth! There was a display on which I watched from the airfield perimeter... Unfortunately the red arrows couldn't fly due to low cloud which cleared up half an hour after the decision to cancel, but a Eurofighter flew a great display and a Poseidon showed up a few times. Again, decent photos are on cameras, these are just from my phone.

IMG_20210721_152357

IMG_20210721_123416

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 10

Glad to have you back South of the Wall Adam, I have been doing some work on my Vulcan, I tried not to, I wanted to finish some of my other projects before starting this kit but there is such a strong draw to make a Vulcan as I'm sure you know only too well. (I'll start my WIP soon) I have been removing any lumps and bumps that were added after 1963 the date I'm building XL317 from.  After removing the SkyBolt  blisters I looked at the strengthening plates moulded in that area, I thought that they would have been added after the decision had been made to operate the Vulcan at low level and after the fatigue tests carried out on XM596 in 1964.  So if this theory is correct then all anti-flash white Vulcans need these plates removing....discuss!

On 7/3/2021 at 3:22 AM, Adam Poultney said:

The problem here is that Newark have their Vulcan's windscreen wipers positioned in a way that wasn't the standard for a parked up Vulcan. The ones on the second and fourth panels should be parallel to the framing on the outboard edge, and the middle wiper is missing entirely

IMG_20210702_155829127_HDR

If I was a pessimist I would say that the model manufacturers are doing this on purpose to create an aftermarket. :)

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Zippo the Zipdrive said:

If I was a pessimist I would say that the model manufacturers are doing this on purpose to create an aftermarket. :)

Well there certainly are a lot of aftermarket opportunities with this kit

Time to start the modifications!

I first marked the blisters which need to go for XM594. 

IMG_20210725_141326

I'll leave the Doppler radar panel for now and deal with that later.

IMG_20210725_141332

And also a fair bit of filler is needed around the blue steel bomb bay insert. A little disappointing.

I've removed the blisters, but there's a little surface damage which I need to repair. Once that's done I'll get a decent photograph up close

IMG_20210725_143905

• Like 6

IMG_20210725_183322

1970s version of the doppler radar is gone

Twin Skybolt blisters are gone and rear mounting blister is gone, leaving only the coolant blister (which is positioned just forward of where the twin blisters were).

IMG_20210725_183310

And I know this is a Vulcan thread, but Victor the hamster needs to make another appearance. So glad to be back home with him after being away, I had a friend taking care of him.

IMG-20210724-WA0048

IMG_20210725_152213

• Like 8

Adam's morning shower thoughts:

I think the Airfix Victor is a much more enjoyable kit and a smoother build than this new Vulcan, but both beat the Valiant kit. Also how am I going to deal with the intakes.... and do I put in the covers in the camo one, white one, or both?

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Adam's morning shower thoughts:

I think the Airfix Victor is a much more enjoyable kit and a smoother build than this new Vulcan, but both beat the Valiant kit. Also how am I going to deal with the intakes.... and do I put in the covers in the camo one, white one, or both?

I agree with you. I have built two of the Victor’s, but with none of the stress levels I am suffering with the Vulcan.

I failed to fix the air intake vanes before gluing the wings. Decided to spray the intake covers (they can be fitted later), but decided to carve up the vanes and fit from the front.

After much verbal encouragement, I succeeded.

Problem now is do I use the covers or not.

Are you going to pin wash the panel lines?

The ones I have seen with this just don’t look right, including Airfix’s demos.

Edited by STRAT'71