New Tool Vulcan B2 - "rivet counted" build X2 - second build now active

Talking of flashed over holes, what are the ones at mid chord in line with the inboard end of the ailerons for?

They seem to be drain/vent points possibly connected to the fuel system. Airfix have over overemphasised them, on mine I sanded them back.

57508.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

They seem to be drain/vent points possibly connected to the fuel system. Airfix have over overemphasised them, on mine I sanded them back.

That's on the outside Andy, the flashed over holes are on the inside roughly half way between those two drain/vent points, one each side - was there ever anything fitted externally here?

• Like 1

That's on the outside Andy, the flashed over holes are on the inside roughly half way between those two drain/vent points, one each side - was there ever anything fitted externally here?

Sorry Dave, I misunderstood. Do you have a photo of the area you're talking about? I have build shots but none that specifically shows that. Nothing was fitted in that area so it'd be interesting to see what it might be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

Sorry Dave, I misunderstood. Do you have a photo of the area you're talking about? I have build shots but none that specifically shows that. Nothing was fitted in that area so it'd be interesting to see what it might be.

Inked20210708-185534-LI2.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing in the way of updates today or yesterday, I've been quite busy. I might get a little done tomorrow, but I am going up to Scotland for a couple of weeks after that so there will be no further progress. I do intend to take most of my Vulcan reading material, so you can still ask questions and maybe get a response, although it might be a slow one.

Next tasks to complete: eliminate the nose cone seam, finish the lower wing assembly and Blue Steel.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 3

Has anybody posted comparison shots of the old tooling alongside the new ? It would be interesting to see the differences .fwiw I think the old tooling doesn't capture the upper wing contours or the "hump " above the air intakes very well

I’m having trouble keeping up with all these Vulcan builds, especially when our internet goes off for several hours, like yesterday.

Anyway, I’e ordered the Bullman book so I will know all I need to about the subject when my birthday present arrives in a couple of months.

John

PS: Have a good holiday.

• Like 2

I have mine on preorder but who knows when it will show up here in the US.  If I see one at Nats I will probably grab it.

While I got to see several Vulcans during the IPMS 50th Anniversary tour back in 2013 my first Vulcan was in 2011 at the SAC Museum in Omaha, NE.  XM573 was inside at the time and I took several pics.  One thing I noticed is no IFR.  I wonder if it was one snatched for the Black Buck birds but have no idea when she went on display.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9GuNxLu9WTCtNhVF7

When I went back in 2017 she had been moved out back and was looking worse for wear.  Not sure if she was waiting to be refinished or what. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dzT4JDo5ijpVxjj56

Nats is back in Omaha next year so I will be taking another look.

edit. So neither of the pics posted, probably too big.  So edited to give the links if anyone wants to take a look.

Edited by philp
pics didn't work

On 08/07/2021 at 08:39, cherry268 said:

I would have thought the pods would use the same mounting points as the pylons.

Thanks for both replies, that will teach me to presume. I have just reread  the section in Craig Bulman's book and will have to read the rest. No fun having an old memory or lack of it

On 7/6/2021 at 6:29 PM, general melchett said:

That's the reason...lack of space to get full coverage.

I would suggest just get hold of Craig Bulman's book. Everything you need to know is in there and broken down into easily digestible sections, covering every airframe in great detail. Invaluable tome...

The book arrived today General, at first glance it looks good and has already given me information for one build already.

Gondor

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

The book arrived today General, at first glance it looks good and has already given mr information for one build already.

Gondor

Did you get a 1st or 2nd edition?

17 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

2nd, might get the first in a couple of months or so.

Gondor

Ah good, the best version. 

My 9 Sqn decals showed up the other day, love those big green bats. 

IMG_20210709_171044

• Like 3

The book arrived today General, at first glance it looks good and has already given mr information for one build already.

Good stuff Gondor, required reading for all Vulcaneers, you'll be reeling them off before you know it. I wish more authors would go into as much depth with other subjects. Roger Brookes two volumes on the Victor are also well worth getting hold of, lots of useful info in there. Just need someone to do the same with the Valiant now.

52 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Just need someone to do the same with the Valiant now.

There's a guy in Facebook who has the knowledge to do it, Pete Sharp I think.

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Roger Brookes two volumes on the Victor are also well worth getting hold of, lots of useful info in there.

What's the title of these? I don't have a copy, time to read up on the Victor I think

There's a guy in Facebook who has the knowledge to do it, Pete Sharp I think.

I know Pete, haven't seen him in ages, maybe time to address that.

The books are 'The Handley page Victor  'The History and Development of a Classic Jet Volume 1, The HP80 and the Mark 1' and Volume 2 'The Mark 2 and Comprehensive Appendices and Accident Analysis for All Marks'. Roger worked on Mk.1 and Mk.2 Victors as a crew chief, his knowledge of the aircraft is amazing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, general melchett said:

I know Pete, haven't seen him in ages, maybe time to address that.

The books are 'The Handley page Victor  'The History and Development of a Classic Jet Volume 1, The HP80 and the Mark 1' and Volume 2 'The Mark 2 and Comprehensive Appendices and Accident Analysis for All Marks'. Roger worked on Mk.1 and Mk.2 Victors as a crew chief, his knowledge of the aircraft is amazing.

He also has another book about anecdotes from working as a crew chief. Found that out when adding his other two books to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for the head's up again General!

Gondor

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

He also has another book about anecdotes from working as a crew chief. Found that out when adding his other two books to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for the head's up again General!

On a similar theme Barry Goodwin's Book "The FOB'S KID Syndrome" is an equally good read.

I'm a just little jealous at you lot, these 'From a different angle' books are not as easy to acquire outside the UK. 

The Vulcan to the Sky website has these on sale for GBP25.00, although I then need to fork out another GBP29.99 for postage to Australia!!!!

Anyone know of another seller? I'd be happy with either edition. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Hello everyone.               Out with the old in with the new.

I’ve now received my new copy of the Airfix Vulcan, with it comes the obligatory looking inside  the old kit as to what’s tucked away inside. Having seen a good few complaints from BM ‘s who’ve been sold some very poor quality control new kits I felt obligated to check out the contents. I generally don’t like to open up a box for fear of depreciating it, but, in this case firstly I’ve checked to see everything is properly formed, and secondly I just needed to fondle some plastic.

Having been following Adam’s post so far, I think I can add some stuff from my collection of modelling stash into the heading rivet counting.

Firstly, a statement from myself about some of the photos that will follow. I’ve been following some photos/negatives on an auction site for a little while but I’ve not had cause to use them for modelling purposes. As we all should know something about copyright here’s what I would like to say. I’ve bought a negative of Vulcan XM594, and it’s been used already in a digital form by Adam. I think the original photographer could/ possibly still hold the copyright for it. But, as the negative has been sold this does not mean that the negative has been ‘sold on’ several times. This may mean that the photographer may not be concerned about copyright. As the owner of the negative the law is very difficult to interpret. For me the less said the better……If I’ve got anything wrong please could you let me know. ( the very-very simplified version).

Adam has beaten me to the punch. I was keeping my power dry and waiting for my kit of the new Vulcan to arrive before using the photos, but hey-hoe. Maybe next time I have a usable photo for something else I should get in there first.

spacer.png

Following on from what Adam is doing, I’ve not seen much in the way of people posting stuff about what they may have stashed away. So, I’m going to post some pictures of old and new products, some may just be a trip down memory lane and some I’m hoping to be able to use on my build. All with a view to getting the details correct.

This is Vulcan B2 XM594 Scampton Wing photographed BoscomDown 1967.  It’s a lovely 18x20 inch photo, a little pricey but it’s nice to be able to pick out the details.
spacer.png

Some of the salient points that Adam has bought to this post I’ve highlighted, I’ve run out of arrows! The one point that I would like to add from my observation of this photo is that the paint finish is a soft edge, the green arrow on the fin shows this. Also I’ll have to look harder to find if it’s got red anti-col lights (1967 on-wards).

spacer.png

Some of the goodies will be of very little use in a modern build will be P.P. Aeroparts crew ladder. I wasn’t that interested in doing a Vulcan with a Blue Steel weapon but at bottom left of this picture is the utterly ridiculously amazing 3D printed Blue Steel trolley, it was for use on the Airfix Victor.

spacer.png

Some of the older Model Decal sets contain a veritable array of useful details. Even the IPMS mag has in the past been a source of detail - top right. And at the bottom who could forget or be without that copy of The Worlds Greatest Mag……

spacer.png

Some amazing publications here.
spacer.png

Finally, how to solve that rivet counting problem, my wind shield wipers are just wrong.     Take an old canopy and a now not applicable detail set……

spacer.png

That’s all for now. Stay safe.   😉

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1