Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk.IF, No.54 OTU +FINISHED+

Good afternoon.  I wasn't quite sure which version of this great looking kit to make, but I see the No.25 Sqn option is progressing smoothly through a build on this forum, so the all black one it is.  Which is probably what I wanted anyway, as a primer for a whole flock of RAF WW2 night fighter builds that is rattling around in my imagination...

Anyway, here we go for starters:

gRznhqDNiZTOfYYg44nd5U8V2SeRkPFsPjZVnVuv

WXLG7Oh5qL7iR9Dv7a43oSTxqS_tSsn7uXx7APD9

Now, just the minor matter of completing the "Unarmed GB" Kittyhawk 1/48 ETPS Jaguar T2 and a commissioned 1/48 PZL P.23B first, so it may be a little while before I update this...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Afraid not - with increased clinical duties at the moment no real time for model making.  The ETPS Jaguar over in the Unarmed GB is static at the moment as well, although I was hoping to put some decals on that tonight.

Edited by Icarus

• 4 weeks later...

Right, so finally I managed to carve out a bit of time to get this started.  As you can see, the cockpit is largely done, but you will also see from the abrasion/sanding marks on this, and the extensive clamping, that something seems to have gone a bit awry.  I can only think that this is a mistake I made earlier on with the building up of that flooring construction.

WW2MDQwk3rW-coGW4WU7wGQTIkb11RE7MkRoBOl_###

Test fitting of the other fuselage side looks ok now.  Shame, because the amount of detail in this kit is outstanding, and perhaps the sheer joy of making this kit meant I didn't concentrate enough.  Hopefully there will be no more  issues.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the earlier (self-induced) complications, eventually the fuselage came together fine.  Just working on the undercarriage mechanisms here - wonderful engineering from Airfix.

2R5b9f1Y0ZImvYivPENgVpL5_IllzZ9DS0Gx63DZ

This is a joy to make.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

All starting to come together now.  I am just about to add the transparencies - I see some have had issues here, although based on the rest of the build I am hopeful.

PJ7iPbrh12IB3bU_UGbt5DrGZ9yCBrdYfvTmNjQq

Given this is the Bristol GB, I thought I should get my two out for show (!)

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

So, last night I had lots of fun trying to get the transparencies to fit (and stay in place!).  In the end it worked out ok - now the minor task of masking all of this before an initial coat of interior green...

f112xxS20krTH04QMNGCqxrlSLj7nBMzC_XFhkpa

Irritatingly, due to the build's logic, I have had to attached the undercarriage early.  Unsurprisingly, they are already getting some collateral damage, with one of the oleos shearing off.  Not good.

Thank you for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

I have now added the wingtip and landing light covers.  I sprayed the areas I want to have some wear and tear showing through with Alclad Airframe Al, then freckled on some overlying Maskol with a old flat brush, ready for eventual removal.  I then primed with Halfords Grey Primer...

rZfMem03gkZ3v1g9WkyzwSbFaRfeX416qvEygrDo

vWljs1ylZBMybMsTJjyvKdpX4Pg_bOPWFU4Doq4k

Absolutely no touching up or filling needed - a testament to Airfix's engineering here.  Note, the flaps are just held in place with Blu-Tak.  Note also that I will add the ventral gun pack later.

Now for the main black colour, which will be Tamiya X-1 built up in thin layers.  I will matt it down later after revealing the wear and tear.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 2

So, decals now on, and I have started some of the chipping/weathering.  Will stop now, and finish the engines/wheels/gun turret, add some engine exhaust stains then mute everything down with a semi-matte varnish before removing the masks.

yCsRpTveNs8B0wrDNaUU_WyFfGDCjJPnItJKlx1k

Decals performed flawlessly, and sunk well into the lovely surface detail with just a little bit of Micro Sol.

Hoping to have this largely complete this weekend.

Thanks for looking, 

Icarus

• Like 5

Now with engines, wheels (which are not visible in this shot!) and dorsal gun turret.  I have not yet fully glued the transparency for the latter on - will do that after the oil pin wash then the final semi-matt varnish.

IbzCBlSIv5Ve7YslnGLM0gzpzOlF72ewHYh3M0n6

Those odd scratches will e muted out with micro-mesh polishing.

I will add  the propellers after unmasking the canopies, then the last little delicate bits, then hopefully we're done.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus 

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 5

Now complete.  A wonderful kit to build - well done Airfix.

0kXmxHUhIBWPFvBMYDQAduvQzwfpuiaC4nfMtCmk

YwJPqRtDXWGso9tVO3kA5g5qI1-reWy1QAWdEmT_

CinVSZXkbfrwK4YwhbPloUEtRUkvrvMpnQXbUauV

HGYpWDMQdyKswWBOAlf3AEKpK9Mb8QSMr2Yk-oME

X5iDsw6JnNH5lvJpioJBdI-QkEmhJscd7VWkNGso

I'll take some better photos later and put them in the Gallery.

Now off to the French Fancy II GB...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 5

• Icarus changed the title to Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk.IF, No.54 OTU +FINISHED+