S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien Liberty Ship by Trumpeter 1/350

I have been bending and sticking more brass, and will post some photos, perhaps later. But have had to retreat from my work room due to excessive heat.🥵🥵🥵 But it looks like the weather is cooling down, in the next day or so. 
I’ll be back. 
Jon

• Like 3

I know the feeling, impossible to concentrate indoors in this heat, so I took my 1/35 Thales Goalkeeper kit out to the back garden to give it a primer coat, big mistake, one of the photoetch footsteps decided to come unstuck (possibly heat related) and promptly headed to the floor, you thought the carpet monster was evil, just wait till you meet the gravel monster 😖

I've gone cap in hand to RPG Model to explain the predicament and so far their response has been excellent 😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

you thought the carpet monster was evil, just wait till you meet the gravel monster 😖

I’ve got a plain wood floor and pieces STILL :hmmm:go missing. I reckon there is a small corner of the space time continuum, that is full of plastic and PE components.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Finally, been able to get back to my workbench.

I put the PE into the lifeboats and then realised that I was going to present them with a tarpaulin cover, never mind it's good practice.

p?i=6cd849a4e602f9716761b9ec9b9b8be9

Bit of tissue paper, followed by a dab of paint and bingo.

p?i=8dfbe7a1b9ab38a5654d56dbddd821eb

I might even get away without weathering them.

p?i=8183989b289102b69591861b822df449

So, next I've finally fitted all the PE to the bridge/superstructure, still some plastic bits to fit but now ready for painting.

p?i=28bdc75e7a301898af079e449d646974

That leaning bit that looks like it has caught a 15" shell, up front is not actually fixed yet, it covers the ships wheel and will be painted separately.

Next we have the bridge/superstructure in all its grey glory, as I said still a few bits (ventilators etc) to fit.

p?i=177af496f386fb2b3ba431a22a4bbf64

p?i=845951c907770d868e47af6ac2df991d

p?i=fd9ecc2a842c401dfab11fdfc0567bab

You remember that leaning piece of PE ? Well here it is, now ready to fit over the the raised bit of deck with the wheel on.

p?i=a6b1593028027522af4cbd1ec107f410

And finally the three King Posts, now ready to go onto their little cabins and then to the deck.

p?i=da92fb08cdc619abeb4238b80533664e

p?i=b7f145c5a379129a7fc839d963289803

That's it for now, but progress is being made. I have to say I don't think I've ever had to bend so much brass for such small area. 

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, that superstructure in particular is very nicely done. That doesn't look like much shelter/protection for the helmsman on the wheel. Regards. Jeff.

The wheelhouse proper is in the cabin below, behind the three rectangular windows. I imagine, the one on top was for docking ? 

Jon

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

So much for the heat wave stopping you looks like your flying along with this Jon.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Cheers beefy. It doesn’t feel like I am, got to leave me bench by 2pm, or I start to cook.

Rain tomorrow, maybe, so hopefully it’ll be cooler.

It’s an interesting build, might be looking for other merchant ships.

Jon

• Like 1

Good afternoon.

Bit cooler today.

First a comparison between the kit 20mm Oerlikon (on the right :doh:) and the Black :cat:Cat Models 3D printed offering, you've got love 3D printing.:clap:

p?i=ea100b9e8d0c54248358fa28e5019050

And now the bridge is very nearly done, just two more lifeboats and that is that, although I do dislike closeup photos, don't they just show all the shoddy work ?:yikes:

p?i=f45ec319e33c9a3b9f930b3525503848

p?i=1fe0d7b6c82262de57337877c0317c96

p?i=048af9874eaabc0696d589d62b310401

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 9

I thought I'd dry fit the superstructure, looking quite good.

p?i=20605d2b86938e3f3db92c105bb118cd

Made a start on the gun decks, this is the forward 3"

p?i=13bb093d55fedff7784f844a1ece8391

A partial build of the aft gun deck.

p?i=ff4c5b96e5087aae57029d61055880f8

• Like 8

I’ve mulling over weathering, as you do, rust shouldn’t be a problem. But I’m thinking of adding an algae stain to the water line, only I don’t know how. I’d be grateful for any tips in how to achieve this.

Jon

6 hours ago, Faraway said:

But I’m thinking of adding an algae stain to the water line, only I don’t know how. I’d be grateful for any tips in how to achieve this.

Gidday Jon, I guess actually floating the model in an outdoor fish pond for three months isn't an option? 😁 Actually, my son said to consider it seriously. 🤔 Or alcohol based dye poured on top of the water then immerse up to the waterline. These are just thoughts, we haven't done it ourselves so try it on scrap first.

But you're right in your earlier post, with the superstructure dry fitted she does look good. And will be even better with the gun pits painted. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

Greetings from a wet and windy west country.

Fore, 3" gun and aft, 5" gun and two 20mm Oerlikons, gun decks finished and fitted to the deck. I'm glad I bought the BlackCat Models 3D guns, they are far better than the kit parts, and compliment the PE nicely.

Things are going to get fiddly soon, as I've got to attach the derricks to the king posts and then rig with cables.

Anyway, here is todays progress.

Jon

p?i=241e6829dc22488ac5b266fe604ab152

p?i=ac53739c67fd9fb7663c5d80c8125d66

• Like 10

On 7/27/2021 at 10:24 PM, Faraway said:

I’ve mulling over weathering, as you do, rust shouldn’t be a problem. But I’m thinking of adding an algae stain to the water line, only I don’t know how. I’d be grateful for any tips in how to achieve this.

Jon

Looks great John. I did algae on a waterline by masking the line and very gently dabbing green oil paint with a kitchen washing up sponge. The oil takes ages to dry tho. I’ll post a pic when I get home at the weekend.

• Like 2

On 27/07/2021 at 22:24, Faraway said:

Jon

Two thoughts come to mind on the waterline marine growth.  Firstly, would there have been that much?  My experience of marine algae is that it usually only forms when the vessel is stationary, and these vessels were worked hard with minimal time at anchor/alongside, so would there have been that much?  Our view is always skewed because we see vessels late in their lives that are laid up.  So I guess it's a case of whatever you decide to do, less is probably more in this instance.

And secondly, how do you plan to display the model?  I know that this is a very personal thing, but I've never quite understood weathering on a model on a stand/plinth.  In a seascape setting, absolutely yes, but putting it onto a stand, to me at least, turns it more into a shipbuilder's model and they are always pristine.  But I do totally recognise that every modeller is different and a lot do like weathering on models on stands.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Two thoughts come to mind on the waterline marine growth.  Firstly, would there have been that much?  My experience of marine algae is that it usually only forms when the vessel is stationary, and these vessels were worked hard with minimal time at anchor/alongside, so would there have been that much?  Our view is always skewed because we see vessels late in their lives that are laid up.  So I guess it's a case of whatever you decide to do, less is probably more in this instance.

And secondly, how do you plan to display the model?  I know that this is a very personal thing, but I've never quite understood weathering on a model on a stand/plinth.  In a seascape setting, absolutely yes, but putting it onto a stand, to me at least, turns it more into a shipbuilder's model and they are always pristine.  But I do totally recognise that every modeller is different and a lot do like weathering on models on stands.

You make some valid points, given how busy this ship would have been, I think your point of little algae is one I had not considered. She will be on a base, so I think I’ll just add a bit of random rust and leave it at that.

Jon

• Like 2

Slow progress, but things are coming on nicely. King Posts have had their "guy ropes" fitted. Once more I'm in debt to @Bobs_Buckles  https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

I have no idea how I'd get some of the rigging done without them.

All in all things are ticking over nicely

p?i=c6e632d9cdfe088c14f4249cce6e29c6

Next I've added the derricks (?) and rigged those, I'm keeping the wires fairly simple and within my skill range, I do sometimes have a tendency to try to run before I can walk.

p?i=e9579818cb78e924b92d5f02e1d832c2

So, just waiting for the glue to dry on these derricks, before I rig those.

p?i=bf5490afb3bbab7691219259d7208b0e

Now, You'll recall what I said about running before I can walk ? Well I've been and bought this kit........

There is another version, with a full length flight deck, so, who knows what might follow this ?

p?i=d50210c5dd58313a283e59a23a902a3e

I do seem to have a a strange habit of gravitating towards the sort of unusual.

Nothing too difficult here you might think, but I can't just buy a model, oh no, I have to add PE etc. 

So, instead of using the kit parts for the girder supports of the flight deck.

p?i=972a9539f11e23caa002b503b4acf79a

I've gone and bought these !

Will I never learn.............?

I might have to be certified slightly insane, before I start this project. Probably try something a bit simpler first.

p?i=83896ee1bfc47b0cbe7a33cecc89cce1

I've got this feeling, the soldering iron is going to be busy. It has got to be the tidier way of assembling them.

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I might have to be certified slightly insane,

Gidday Jon, you mean you're not already? I thought that was a pre-requisite for modeling so it's probably just a formality. 😀

If you do manage all those girders it'll improve the model enormously I think. Good luck with it.

Those king posts with their booms and rigging are looking very good, they're almost models in their own right. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

almost models in their own right

Jeff. I think that’s why I’ve become hooked on making ship models, there are so many elements to them.

I’ve seen pictures of the Langley with the PE frame work and it looked amazing, sort of looking forward to the challenge.

Jon

• Like 1