S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien Liberty Ship by Trumpeter 1/350

I thought this would make a nice change to building ships bristling with guns. And it's not something I know much about, so the research has been interesting. 

Built in just 56 days and launched on the 19th June 1943, she was supposed to cross the Atlantic just once, but actually cross the Atlantic four times. She then crossed the English Channel eleven times, in support of the D-Day landings. She then sailed as far as Calcutta, the Philippines and Australia before returning to San Francisco in 1946. She was mothballed until 1966 when restoration started to bring her back to her original war time condition. She opened to the public in 1980 and still makes day trips around San Francisco Bay.

In 1994, the O'Brien was the only ship that had taken part in D-Day that made the trip to Normandy for the 50th anniversary of D-Day.

I've ordered a PE set to enhance the detail and some 3D printed guns to replace the kit offering, which aren't very detailed.

I won't be doing much for a bit, as finally I'm going on holiday to sunny Cornwall, first holiday for 18 months, since the madness started.

So, here I start my project to try to show her as she would have looked on 6th June 1944.

Wish me luck.

Jon

p?i=6190de55551fef3e2bdf2b5fe21e706c

p?i=2cf591fa144d0c5df59ea8d90a52fd1e

p?i=b991c88ffd33473f50040e539aaf9a19

p?i=60a74677c6a0c241eb97a89721a0f866

p?i=f501db39a547254af05db413cb576df7

p?i=cf8538247d6aad0924d47a41e197f39e

p?i=23f21ac3d6912f5bd60db75c4aaf62b8

This is my first problem, as you can see the hull is very smooth so I will have to find a way of showing the plates.
Another problem is it doesn’t come with a stand, so I’ll have to make something.

p?i=63cf119887f703d08a80027fa96700d7

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 9

I'll be sure to follow along, my dad was in the Merchant Navy during WW2, he crewed aboard the SS Samoa (most UK Liberty ships names began with Sam.....), I have this kit also along with the L'Arsenal upgrade set and plan to mount her on a nice plinth along with his medals.

He had a partcular soft spot for the Liberty ships, and was proud to have crewed one.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

I'll be sure to follow along, my dad was in the Merchant Navy during WW2, he crewed aboard the SS Samoa (most UK Liberty ships names began with Sam.....), I have this kit also along with the L'Arsenal upgrade set and plan to mount her on a nice plinth along with his medals.

He had a partcular soft spot for the Liberty ships, and was proud to have crewed one.

I like that idea of yours to mount her on a plinth with his medals, lovely idea. I couldn’t get the L’Arsenal upgrade so I’ve settled for the Eduard PE. On a similar theme, my wife’s uncle served on and was lost with HMS Hermione during WW2. When a 1/350 Dido class cruiser is released I might do something similar.
Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Thanks 1

Good choice beautiful ship visited in 2012 and the hull is far from smooth hope you do not mind but here are a few holiday snaps of her.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And some rather nice art work.  :whistle:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Give the masking tape method a go to show the hull lines run tape along the sides and prime remove tape and spray over again the already painted areas will stand out having had an extra coat of paint

Stay Safe

And enjoy your holiday/ Staycation

beefy

• Like 3

Cheers Beefy.

Can’t ever have enough pictures.
I’ll try the tape method, I’ve looked at you Portchester build, took me a while to comprehend what I was looking at, but the penny did eventually drop. MickM’s method looks amazing, but way above my skill level. I might try and get vertical plate lines in another way.

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry L said:

If you are looking for more photos I hope these help.

OBRIEN

Drawing up the chair and will be following.

@Jerry Lmost excellent photos. Very many thanks, looking at your location, I guess this ship is a neighbour. These photos show I’m going to have a challenge with the rigging, but then I never was one for an easy life.

Thanks.

Jon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

’ll try the tape method, I’ve looked at you Portchester build, took me a while to comprehend what I was looking at, but the penny did eventually drop. MickM’s method looks amazing, but way above my skill level. I might try and get vertical plate lines in another way.

Jon

You could also use the tape method but use short lengths set diagonally like a chess board to have a raised and low section of the paint build up still take a bit longer to mask but not as long and pain staking as Mick's build.  :idea:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

Looking at some of the excellent photos I’m receiving, from all you lovely BM’ers, not only is the rigging going to be a challenge. But I’m going to have to, at least, add some rope to the winches. This build just keeps on giving. (Headaches).🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

You could also use the tape method but use short lengths set diagonally like a chess board to have a raised and low section of the paint build up still take a bit longer to mask but not as long and pain staking as Mick's build.  :idea:

Stay Safe

beefy

Sort of what I’m thinking, I will have a play during the weekend. To loosely quote a Time Bandits line.....‘I have a thought forming in me head’.

Jon

• Haha 1

Thin twine thread like a tan colour raid the wife's sewing box she will never know if a little bit goes' missing from the roll

At least I think mine does not notice.:whistle:

beefy

• Like 1

Just now, beefy66 said:

Thin twine thread like a tan colour raid the wife's sewing box she will never know if a little bit goes' missing from the roll

At least I think mine does not notice.:whistle:

beefy

I’ve got lots of strange spools of line, from very long past builds, Revell ‘Constitution’ springs  to mind and from when I used to shoot bow and arrow and even made me own arrows. I just hadn’t considered all this extra detail I’m uncovering. This is NOT going to be a quick build.

Jon

Looks interesting - I don't think I've ever seen one of these kits built so I'm keen to see how it turns out.

The Eduard PE set looks very different to the GMM version that I bought for my BULOLO build which is fully of insanely small bits to make rigging blocks.

Edited by Chewbacca
spulling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jerry L said:

Jon, you are welcome, I have other photos not yet posted, let me know if there is a particular item you are looking for. Have an enjoyable weekend.

There is one thing you might be able to help with. Somewhere onboard is a name plate, but I’ve yet to find out where it is, I know about the one on top of the superstructure that has the name as well as the ships battle honours. However, I will be removing this as it wasn’t fitted until after the war. Also, I will have to paint out the names on the bow and stern, as this was done during her wartime service. The name plate in question was a wooden board painted black with 12” lettering, this board could be flipped over to conceal the name, should the need arise. I’m guessed, it’s on the main deck house, but if you know I’d be very grateful.

Jon

15 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Stay Safe

beefy

Trying to get this process clear in my head. 
1 stick tape to hull

2 paint hull any colour as long as it’s grey

3 remove tape

4 repeat 2

Is that right ?

Just got to figure how to get vertical lines.

Jon

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

rying to get this process clear in my head. 
1 stick tape to hull

2 paint hull any colour as long as it’s grey

3 remove tape

4 repeat 2

Is that right ?

Just got to figure how to get vertical lines.

Jon

Jon will try and explain with a few photos of the method this was done fairly quick about 15 minutes for one side of the hull using Vallejo primers.

1. two lines of tape mark on lower tape where you want plate lines.

spacer.png

2. Add lower line of tape using 6mm for all this Tamiya tape score line with scalpel on marked lines remove every other piece and move up to create the checked pattern

spacer.png

Apply couple of coats of primer I have used a red oxide

spacer.png

spacer.png

Remove all the tape this is done rough remember. Apply final coat thinly

spacer.png

Lightly sand with soft sanding sponge so the first coat starts to show through this will also start the weathering process.

spacer.png

Hope that makes it a bit clearer now.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Jerry L said:

Jon, well you pick the one thing that I do not have a photo of, however, I know what you are 'talking' about. Let me check a few things out and get back to you.

Jerry. I think it’s on the cabin wall just where you enter the ship

Jon

6 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Hope that makes it a bit clearer now.

That makes perfect sense, now I understand. I really thought my head was going to :boom:

My sanity owes you a pint.

Jon

• Haha 1

Having received comprehensive, illustrated (I do need pictures)instructions  from @beefy66 :smartass:on how to simulate hull plating using masking tape and paint, I've applied said tape and paint and then removed said tape to reveal a new form of maritime camouflage, think I might leave it.

Was that a collective gasp from the maritime community I hear ? Ok, just for you, I'll paint it over. 

After the taping and painting I've added all the PE that is fixed to the hull, a couple of railings and grills over the scuppers. 

Next will come the grey paint, but I think that'll have to wait until my return from my few days away.

The represented plates might be a bit, the wrong size, but I think the plan is for them to almost disappear, so I can probably get away with it.

So I'll leave this with you and be back soon.

Now, are you sure I can't start a new trend of red and grey checker pattern camo ??????

Jon

p?i=df77b252373eb04eeeaa1c71042af371

p?i=1116fbb5738b817b3062d2e36272f38a

p?i=260ea1df10435d6a63ca335eb2beccbe

p?i=5b632bb7ed558da88fd432496a3d9880

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 8

Good Morning Jon, the best I can do for you right now is to direct you to:

Red Oak Victory

The first three (3) photos show where the name board is located on that type of ship. If my memory is correct, I have seen O'brien's name board in the same locations. The name board was oblong not with the corners cut out. The name boards were located on the uppermost deck attached to the railing on the port, starboard, aft, and forward.

• Like 1