Vietnam era carrier kit?

Hi all,

I don't do many floaty things, but I have an itch I would like to scratch. My modelling focus for the last few years has been Vietnam war aircraft in 1/72. I've done a few naval aviation subjects, and it got me wondering whether a Vietnam era Aircraft Carrier might make an interesting addition to the cabinet to complement my display of aircraft.

Are there any kits available of US Aircraft Carriers that (more or less) out of the box would depict a Vietnam era fit/ aircraft complement? I would be looking at 1/700 scale simply because of available cabinet space, but could be convinced to go bigger if necessary. I could also consider buying an appropriate aircraft complement separately from the aftermarket if that's the only route.

Thanks!

Will 

Edited by Killingholme

Revell once had a 1/720 USS Enterprise with lots of Phantoms and Skyhawks, and a few Intruders. I don't know about the Ship fitting stage itself...

Hi Will,

The Trumpeter/Gallery Models 1/350 USS Intrepid CV-11 should fit the bill. Comes with Skyhawks. Skyraiders, Crusaders, Seasprites and other planes. I know its a little larger than you wanted but it does make up well straight out of the box. I am making it at the moment and its a lot of fun. 

Cheers,

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks both for your suggestions. Sean, that Intrepid kit does indeed look very nice. It's not a question of the model not fitting in my cabinets (it probably would), rather the issue is that I can't conceal something so large from my wife, and (more importantly) I don't know what I would be able to tell her when she inevitably spots it and asks how much I spent on it...

Will 

• Like 2

Hi Will,

I hear you there mate. The boxes can be suspiciously large! Here is my Intrepid so far and the box is only marginally bigger than the kit! Ruler for scale, there is no real hiding the size of it. If you do decide to take the plunge and tempt her ire, the decals are not great, pretty much 95% of everything you see on the deck is masked. Its the first time I had ever masked so much deck and it worked out alright - wasn't half as scary as I thought it was going to be. A few other decals needed for the kit are from SSN Modelbau. 

Cheers,spacer.png

Sean 

Edited by converse
Additional info on deck markings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1