Heavy nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser Kirov | Trumpeter 1/700

The Kirov class, Soviet designation Project 1144 Orlan (sea eagle), is a class of nuclear-powered guided missile cruisers of the Soviet Navy and Russian Navy, the largest and heaviest surface combatant warships (i.e. not an aircraft carrier or amphibious assault ship) in operation in the world. Among modern warships, they are second in size only to large aircraft carriers, and of similar size to a World War I era battleship. The Soviet classification of the ship-type is "heavy nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser" (Russian: тяжёлый атомный ракетный крейсер). 

The lead ship of the class, Kirov (renamed Admiral Ushakov in 1992), was laid down in June 1973 at Leningrad's Baltiysky Naval Shipyard, launched on 27 December 1977 and commissioned on 30 December 1980. When she appeared for the first time in 1981, NATO observers called her BALCOM I (Baltic Combatant I). Kirov suffered a reactor accident in 1990 while serving in the Mediterranean Sea. Repairs were never carried out, due to lack of funds and the changing political situation in the Soviet Union.

[Source: Wikipedia]

This is my second 1/700 ship model. Still learning. 

Trumpeter gives you in a rather small box a strange mix of versions, poorly fitting and a bit soapy parts, overscale decals for Kamov... nothing unusual and unexpected.

The idea was to show the vessel as it appeared when commissioned in 1980.

To enhance the detail, I added the barrels from Master, Russian Naval Gun AK-630 from AJM Models, and some photoetched pieces for the railings and antennas made in China. 

Painted with authentic Akan acrylic paints from Russia (with love of course). 

Here she is.

qj79P6.jpg

dHxXX3.jpg

QNThxE.jpg

kLKGrO.jpg

g0ibQa.jpg

AzJ6tH.jpg

DokAGV.jpg

mPU4lm.jpg

JrpSOQ.jpg

d1fsxY.jpg

• Like 18

Nice build, not a happy ship though, a bit of digging into the accident this suffered, not much specific info, took me to other soviet era naval nuclear accidents, they had a few by the look of it, some contamination still exists. :(

Steve.

• Like 2

Very nice, especially for a 1/700. It's tough to build them where they don't look toy like. You did a cracking job on the PE. Are the radars and mast girders from the kit of were those after market?

I just bought my first set from Akan and was wondering how they were. Being from the States I haven't heard anything about them and bought a set for my MiG-27.

Bitzer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitzer said:

Very nice, especially for a 1/700. It's tough to build them where they don't look toy like. You did a cracking job on the PE. Are the radars and mast girders from the kit of were those after market?

I just bought my first set from Akan and was wondering how they were. Being from the States I haven't heard anything about them and bought a set for my MiG-27.

Bitzer

I used the aftermarket PE parts bought here: https://daiyee.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=435

Akan paints are nice, spray well, good also for brush painting.

Thanks for comments!

Hubert

Not a happy ship, but one of the most beautiful imo, I think it's the long well (?)/forward deck before the bridge that's makes me go so giddy.

Er, that aside, cracking model Hubert and thanks for introducing me to Akan paints, really worked well here. Your drybrushing (?) on the ssn19 Granit launchers really makes them pop without being unrealistic too, very impressive.

David

• Like 1