References for P51

Herrick

Can somebody please let me know of any reference material for the P-51? I bought ‘Mustang: Thoroughbred Stallion of the Air’ by Steve Price recently and while it’s an interesting read, it is a bit disappointing wrg to detail about the actual plane itself.

Thanks in advance.

Depends what you are looking for - I think the old PSL "Famous Aircraft & how to model them" (tie-in with the Airfix 1/24 kit) is still a well-balanced overview. Squadron had quite a number of Mustang titles, including one Walkaround on Allison versions - not sure if they did one for the Merlins, but this is full of detail pics.

• Thanks 1

"Mustang: A Documentary History" by Jeffrey Ethell is good. Long out of print but available cheaply. There were two 'Detail & Scale' books, IIRC the first covering the Allison-engined and early Merlin-engined variants and the second the P-51D onwards.

• Thanks 1

There are a large number of Mustang history books, some of which are not really worth the money, and that probably includes those modelling books on the subject which have relied on what went before.  But if you are looking for views of detail parts and interiors then these are probably better for you.  The PSL one is fine.

Matt Willis has just done a superb history of the Allison engined variants which wipes the floor with anything that has gone before, but lacks the kind of detailed engineering photos that may be what you want.  I presume that there is a Warbird Tech on the Merlin variants, but don't have it.

• Thanks 1

I use the following books  " North American P-51D Mustang"   a photographic reference by Tim Mullina  BHI Publications 2007. " NA P-51D Mustang" by Robert Peczkowski  publisher MMP  Yellow Series No.6126.  "Production Line to Frontline 1  NA  P-51 Mustang " by Michael O'Leary   1998 Osprey Aviation.

Obviously depends what you are building or studying each to his own. I concur on the PSL book ,in fact I have the series still valid  and excellent reference books.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I presume that there is a Warbird Tech on the Merlin variants, but don't have it.

There is: #5, apparently covering the whole lot, not only the Merlins. From what I recall, this series draws heavily if not exclusively on manuals and official pics, so authenticity should be no topic. The downside is the paper used is not the best in the world, certainly D&S and Squadron use(d) a better grade, but the Squadron IIRC relies heavily on restored aircraft.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aside from the Squadron Walkaround title, my preferred P-51 reference is one not mentioned here yet..

René Francillon’s beautifully illustrated full-colour 368-page A-4 hardback published in French by Lela Presse, " P-51 Mustang, un chasseur entré dans la légende "

One of the best - and least known - P-51 references...(ICM kit)

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Since my ever shifting focus has shifted again....

@FalkeEins is the french Francillon book the same as the 'P-82 TWIN MUSTANG & P-51 MUSTANG: In US Government Use, Racers, and Warbirds' ?

This is a very confusing set of books, the one above is part III&IV.

While the 'High spirited Mustang' is part I&II, but was published electronically, but can be bought 'print on demand' which has me wondering about quality, especially of images.

• 2 weeks later...

The Valiant Wings Publishing Airframe & Miniature Books are excellent P-51 reference's. Volume No.6 cover's the P-51 early Mustangs from the A-36 through to the P-51C model. Exploded views of internal structures and cockpit fittings. Model build's in various scale's, lists of accessory and decal sheet's including well detailed 1/48th pull out scale plan's. This edition is currently out of print but highly likely to be re-printed.

Recently released is Volume  No.18  covering in depth the P-51D/K  including the P-51H,XP-51F,G&J.  Again another comprehensive set of 1/48th scale plan's included.

For modeling detail these book's  are the go to reference for P-51 enthusiast's.

Edited by T-21

On 6/11/2022 at 12:38 PM, Bozothenutter said:

Since my ever shifting focus has shifted again....

@FalkeEins is the french Francillon book the same as the 'P-82 TWIN MUSTANG & P-51 MUSTANG: In US Government Use, Racers, and Warbirds' ?

This is a very confusing set of books, the one above is part III&IV.

While the 'High spirited Mustang' is part I&II, but was published electronically, but can be bought 'print on demand' which has me wondering about quality, especially of images.

..err ...no......I don't think so. There is a 10-page pdf extract on the publisher's web site here

https://www.avions-bateaux.com/uploads/attachment/produit//produit_2276_7b9a8c8d32e2b1cbabaf95c43dee4718.pdf

the book is now sold out at the publisher but The Aviation Bookshop or similar would still have it ...I imagine...possibly

10 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

..err ...no......I don't think so. There is a 10-page pdf extract on the publisher's web site here

https://www.avions-bateaux.com/uploads/attachment/produit//produit_2276_7b9a8c8d32e2b1cbabaf95c43dee4718.pdf

the book is now sold out at the publisher but The Aviation Bookshop or similar would still have it ...I imagine...possibly

found one!

was looking at FNAC first, the found one at the aviation megastore right here in NL.

• Like 1

As others have said it dpends what you're looking for - history, technical minutiae, units, or whatever.  My go-to is The Mustang Story, Ken Delve (Arms & Armour, 1999).  Among other things, it has a list of serials by variant and production block, and a listing of RAF serials, including which were Mk IVs (P-51D) and Mk IVa (P-51K).  The various Osprey books, including for example Very Long Range Mustang Units of the Pacific War, Carl Molesworth (Osprey, 2006) are usually very good.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:15 AM, Bozothenutter said:

found one!

was looking at FNAC first, the found one at the aviation megastore right here in NL.

Seems you got the last one - now "temporarily out of stock", but as it was on clearance at Sylvie quite some time ago (I bite myself now not buying it), this will be permanent I guess.

20 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Seems you got the last one - now "temporarily out of stock", but as it was on clearance at Sylvie quite some time ago (I bite myself now not buying it), this will be permanent I guess.

There is a 2nd hand one on FNAC:

https://livre.fnac.com/mp29358335/Le-P-51-Mustang-Un-Chasseur-Entre-Dans-La-Legende#omnsearchpos=1

On 05/07/2021 at 18:56, AWFK10 said:

"Mustang: A Documentary History" by Jeffrey Ethell is good. Long out of print but available cheaply.

I would like to concur with this recommendation. I got one second hand from Ebay and found it very nice.

I used this book when I was building the mustangs a few years ago

Modelling the P-51 Mustang: No. 34 (Osprey Modelling): Amazon.co.uk: Spooner, Stan: 9781841769417: Books

I no longer use it and its in my for sale post if anyone is interested

Ian 

On 7/12/2022 at 1:36 AM, Ed Russell said:

Mustangs as opposed to P-51s but if you are after something different. SCM is more technical

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/southern-cross-mustangs/

and The 'Stang is more operational history

You are cruel, man, you make me want to have this one... I haven't looked at the other for fear of a heart attack seeing the postage. 

Have you looked into other services? Just as a suggestion, I ordered a parcel full of books from HLJ recently, and it cost less than 50 € from Japan to Germany with FedEx, arriving on my doorstep in 4.5 days (!) within placement of the order.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:55 AM, tempestfan said:

Have you looked into other services?

We only charge the customer what Australia Post charges us. We have looked at FedEx and other couriers but their charges are similar and some of them have onerous Terms and Conditions.

Maybe The Aviation Bookshop is cheaper for postage as it is in UK?