Mi-24P Hind-F (4812) 1:48 Zvezda HobbyPro Marketing

Julien

Mi-24P Hind-F (4812)

1:48 Zvezda HobbyPro Marketing

spacer.png

Instantly recognisable to enthusiasts of Cold War aircraft, the Mil Mi-24 'Hind' has formed the backbone of the Soviet Union/Russian Air Force's attack helicopter force since the 1970s. The need for a battlefield attack helicopter became obvious following the experience of American forces in Vietnam. Mil developed the Hind as a response to this need, using the successful Mil Mi-8 'Hip' transport helicopter as a basis. It was transformed by the addition of a small pair of wings positioned to the rear of the passenger compartment for carrying weapons, a machine gun in the nose and a tandem cockpit for the flight crew. It was capable of carrying eight troops as well.

The Mi-24V Hind E is one of the later, and more capable Hind variants, introduced into service in the 1980s. It is capable of carrying the highly effective AT-6 Spiral anti-tank missile on the hard points under its wings, as well as the four barrelled 12.7mm machine gun in the nose turret. It is capable of carrying a range of other ordnance, including the UPK-23-250 23mm cannon pod and the B-8V20 rocket launcher. The later Mi-24P or Hind F is a  gunship version, which replaced the 12.7mm machine-gun with a fixed side-mounted 30mm GSh-30-2K twin-barrel cannon. As aiming the canons depends on manoeuvring the helicopter controls are moved for this to the pilot. First seeing use in Afghanistan these models also saw combat in Chechnya and later in Syria. They are still in service today with Russia and other nations.

The Kit

This is a brand-new tooling from Zvezda, fresh off the presses in Russia, so it is a modern kit and has plenty of detail moulded-in, and options to have many areas of the kit opened up. Its great to have a new tool model of the Hind in a manageable scales, as nice as the Trumpeter one is 1/35 is a bit large! The only issues I can see is that there are no rivets at all on the fuselage? Having seen a couple of these close up they are covered in rivets and the lack of them on the model is strange. I can understand this would have cost more to mould onto the kit but there is just something about seeing the kit smooth that is not right. As well as the main fuselage parts there are another 6 sprues of parts in grey plastic, and a clear sprue.  The rotors have their characteristic droop moulded in. 

spacer.png

Before you start its worth considering if you want the engine covers, doors, engine compartments open or closed.  Once this is done construction can start with the cockpit. Here two figures are supplied if the modeller wants to use them.  The tandem tub is moulded as one part to which the seats are added along with the flight controls and side controllers. All instruments are provided as decals. The cockpit sides go on and then the cockpit section attaches to the floor of the rear troop compartments. Next up we concentrate on the engine decking which also forms the roof of the troop compartment.  The main gearbox is built up and added along with other engine ancillaries to the top. Rails are added to the underside.  The mount for the gearbox is added along with the separating bulkhead between the two engine.  The rear bulkhead for the troop compartment is added and then the roof/engine decking can be added on making sure the central seating part for the troop compartment goes in.  The two engines can the be assembled and added to the engine deck. Inside the troop compartment the seat bases are added.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Moving to the main fuselage sections holes need to be opened up and additional parts added inside the main cabin area. If closing up the fuselage then engine panels and the troop compartment doors can be fitted in the closed positions. Next up the cockpit section is flipped upside down and the front section including the wheel well is added. At the rear the main wheel well is assembled ad added in. The main fuselage can then be closed up around the cabin section. At the front the pilots main panel goes in and then the front fuselage side can go on. The forward sensor fairing is also fitted. At the rear of the tail section the small wings are fitted as well as the tail rotor gearbox.  The wings for carrying the weapons are built up and added at this stage along with the pylons. The rear top mounted IR jammer is also now installed.  At the front the engine intakes and covers go on. The clear canopies can now be fitted. The last major area for completing the fuselage is the construction and addition of the landing gear.  If building the Afghan version then IR diffusing exhausts are fitted. Onto the rotors. The main rotor head is built up with the blades adding onto the rotor head, the lower plate is added and control linkages join the two. This can then be added to the helo. The tail rotor is a single part. To finish up the main fuselage the side mounted 30mm cannon is built up and installed along with various aerials, and the large external chaff/flare dispensers. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The large spure for the weapons is the same as for the previous kit as it also contains the under chin turrets.  There are four fuels tanks, four rocket pods and four anti-tank rockets. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Markings

There are five painting options included on the decal sheet.  From the box you can build one of the following:

• 262nd Separate Helicopter Sq,n Soviet Army Aviation, Bagram Airbase, Afghanistan, 1989.
  • 334th Centre of Combat Employment and Personnel retraining. Russian Army Aviation, Torzhok Airbase, 2014.
  • Aviation Group of the Russian Air & Space Forces in Syria. Khmeimim Airbase 2017.
  • 5th Helicopter Sqn, (Hubschrauber - Geschwader) East German Army, Basepohl Airbase, 1988.
  • 86th Helicopter Aviation Unit, Hungarian Military Forces, Szolnok Airbase 2019.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The decals are well printed with a red band around the edge that is reminiscent of Begemot’s work, but that’s just my guess.  The colours are dense, printing sharp, and what little registration there is on the two large Russian logos is good, with a satin carrier film cut close to the printed areas. 

Conclusion

It’s a very nicely moulded kit, A welcome addition to the range. Recommended. 

Available from all good model shops online or in actual buildings.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 7/1/2021 at 4:16 PM, Julien said:

There are four fuels tanks, four rocket pods and four anti-tank rockets.

I think I spy a pair of UPK-32 gun pod as well. These are in the Zvezda Hinds in 1/72nd (my main scale) as well. 

Cheers,

Andre 

3 hours ago, Hook said:

I think I spy a pair of UPK-32 gun pod as well. These are in the Zvezda Hinds in 1/72nd (my main scale) as well. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Yes, my bad they are there.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:18 PM, IGKent said:

Nice review Julien! 👍 Without rivet lines again!

Finally the Mi-24 version I've been waiting for. Nice review too.

IIRC somebody did a decal sheet for the rivets but I can't find any trace of it now. Can anybody advise?

The opening of 9th Company features a pair in close formation if you need inspiration.