Supermarine Spitfire Starter Set 1:72 Airfix A55001

Julien

Supermarine Spitfire Starter Set

1:72 Airfix A55001

spacer.png

It is hard to think a more Iconic Aircraft to represent the Royal Air Force than the famous Supermarine Spitfire.  Here Airfix have brought these two aircraft together in a "Best of British" boxing complete with paints, glue and paint brushes. The first thing to say about this boxing is that these kits are not full on model kits as you would expect looking at the box. These are simplified model kits. The Spitfire has only 26 parts including its display stand.  There is nothing wrong with the quality of the parts, these all seem to be up to the standards of the new 1.72 Airfix kits I have seen lately. These kits are great in one respect they will act as a bridge between the click together Airfix kits, and full on model kits. They will assemble like kits, but the lower parts count and thought to the engineering will make it a lot easier for the younger modeller. I cant understand why Airfix are not making more of this aspect to encourage younger modellers into the hobby. Now a look at the kits in more detail.

Spitfire

The variant included here is a Mark Vc in markings for Pilot Officer Antoni Glowacki of No, 303 Sqn Based at Northolt in 1942. The kit has 26 parts including the Spitfire shaped display stand if the modeler wants to use this. The model can be built with the undercarriage raised or lowered. First off the two fuselage halves can go together with the tail wheel being moulded onto the left half. At the front the mount for the prop goes on and then the engine cover complete with moulded in exhausts goes on.  The wings can then go together with a single part lower and left/right uppers. The pilots seat fits into the wing and then this is joined to the fuselage. The tailplanes then go on. Under the wings the radiator and oil cooler are fitted. Single part raised gear, or two part lowered gear are then fitted.  The centreline carb intake is fitted. The pilot figure can then go into the seat if you want to use him, following this the aerial mast and single part canopy are fitted. At the front the single part prop and spinner are fitted. If the aircraft is to be mounted on the stand now is the time to do it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Markings

A small decal sheet from Cartograf provides markings for Spitfire Mk.Vc AB174 of No, 303 Sqn Based at Northolt in 1942. There should be no issues with these.

spacer.png

Conclusion

This is a great set to bridge the gap between click together kits and models for the younger modeller. It a shame Airfix dont champion it as this, and make that clear on the box.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif

• Like 6

This kit is a very nice simple build, the only noticeable differences to the “senior kit” are the lack of cockpit detail and the simplified U/C .

Wulfman

• 5 weeks later...

I think I need to get one of these, it looks like fun! Thanks for the review and lets hope other types follow in this series.

I am confused about one thing: what's the connection with the profile of AB216?

On 7/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, Julien said:

This is a great set to bridge the gap between click together kits and models for the younger modeller. It a shame Airfix dont champion it as this, and make that clear on the box.

That does seem an odd oversight, the basic nature of this kit is probably it's biggest selling point but if you saw this on a shelf alongside their regular starter kits you would never know. In terms of simplicity it reminds me of a Hobbyboss kit.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sroubos said:

Is this kit even on sale? None of the shops I've tried actually stock it.

Well its in stock at Airfix if you click on the link in the review

I'm on the continent now so ordering from Airfix is not really an attractive option.

I managed to order one from the LHS but they indicate it will take until the 2nd week of December to arrive. It's a Christmas gift for my son so I have some slack there :)

I've seen this kit on the shelves of the local Toyworld here in Adelaide, Australia.  Unfortunately it's around the same price as the more detailed Vc kit of which I already have a couple so didn't buy one.

• 9 months later...

I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't appear to include the Vokes filter. A real shame since the vast majority of VCs operated in Middle and Far East. This rather limits the colour options so I doubt I'll be getting any.

I built that one recently! It is awesome fun weekend build. The included paint and glue are as usual 'better not'. Out of those 4 paints 2 arrived dried on arrival.

Cockpit has no real details though, but since it is closed canopy only, its not a big deal.  Decals are minimal.

p?i=ce5be726286f2372e010759558a0684d

Here is how it ended up, behold my shaky freehand airbrushing technique :D It is not the display piece but I had a lot of fun spraying it.

+ Really fun simple model from Airfix.

+ Tiny aircraft stand that actually works

+ Brilliant idea about how to glue transparent piece on without risking placing glue on canopy - it is glued by a tab under the antenna.

- Humbrol "not a paint" products included.

- Who stole my cockpit?

I painted mine with Golden Fluid Acrylics.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

I'm building it with my son now, it's a bit start and stop as his attention wanes at times.

I really can't have any complaints about this kit. It's aimed at youngsters and caters to them very well, although at six years old my son is maybe on the young side still to build it without help. 

- Parts breakdown is very good, not too many to make it fiddly, not too few to make it look too toylike.

- Fit is pretty good although we're not sanding and filling in our build. If you do go that route I doubt you'll need much filler though.

- Paints are fine in our kit. They need a bit of water but go on well, we are applying two thin coats rather than a single thick one and with the hairy stick included the paint dries up very nicely, very little in the way of stripes or marks.

- Instructions are very good and indicate clearly where to apply the glue which is really useful. Even I found it helpful, it's a feature every kit manual could do with.

- Ok so one little issue, the tube of glue is of course not the best suited to apply glue accurately. I recently emptied five or six of these tubes into an empty Tamiya glass glue jar so they still get use. The glue itself is fine, if a little bit thick.

- Price is right too for such a complete package.

- It's an accurate model of a Mk V!

Haven't tried the decals yet and we won't be using the stand as my son wants it to hang off the ceiling (he's careful with his toys :) ).

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1