Recce-Camera placement on Ju 88S?

Richard502

Was the recconnaissance camera installation on the Ju 88S identical to that on the Ju 88D? 10 years ago Dave Wadman sent me a scan showing recce-camera placement for the D version. Squadron Signal book shows installation for D's again.

Meanwhile, my project has morphed to do an Ju 88S, and I can not find any information on where the cameras are to go.

Richard

The Ju-88S-1 & Ju-88S-3 were both high speed bomber versions (No cameras). They were both modified to be high speed reconnaissance versions as the Ju-88T-1 & Ju-88T-3. My AMtech Ju-88S-3/T-3 kit instructions show the 2 camera ports in the same location as used on Ju-88D versions, in the panel just behind the bomb bay. Since I doubt the Germans would've tried to "reinvent the wheel", I assume that location is probably correct, and they would have kept the main bomb bays for fuel tanks.

Larry

• Thanks 1

Hello Richard,

Jim is correct in saying that the Ju 88S were high speed bomber versions while the T versions were reconnaissance aircraft.

The T versions of the Ju88 were essentially rebuilds/conversions of the Ju88D-1 but with the camera locations remaining unchanged from those of the D-1 and were powered by a pair of BMW 801D engines while the Jumo 213A powered T-3 had the same camera installation. This provided room for three cameras to be carried although this was usually restricted to one or two depending on the mission type, requirements and distance involved.

Hope this helps.

mfg

Dave

• Thanks 1