Authentic Airliners - United 757 "Her Art here" cs 1:144

Hi everybody,

I finally finished this Authentic Airliners 757 in United's special livery. I saw this plane in Lisbon when it was on its first flight in that livery and as New York is one of my favourite places this was somewhat a no-brainer when I saw the decals available at 8a decs.
Speaking of those.... well, they aren't the most accurate ever. The colours are quite darker than the orginal and differ a bit from one part of the decal to another, also they are bit too large for the airplane both horizontally and vertically and even the tail that was supposed to be for an Authentic Airliners model turned out too large. In the end super tricky to apply and I needed more than one set to finish it 😉

Additionally I used a Flying Colour detail set (not really needed though IMO, used very few decals from it) and a sheet from Richard Warcup for the no step and the overwing exits (the 8a set has zero details) and of course AA cockpit windows (I would not use anything else anymore). 

The building of the AA is pretty straightforward and was a welcome change after all that sanding and filling a few Revell 320/ 321's needed that I did before. It was my first Authentic Airliners and wont be the last. It gave me the opportunitly to visit Kurt from Authentic Airliners - as he lives really close to me - and I could see his impressive collection.

For the Scimitar winglets I used some 737 ones from Zvezda that I modified, the Wifi Antenna is from a Revell 321 and I built some smaller details on my own.

As for the colours it was painted with Tamiya White (after some Tamiya White Primer), the grey parts are mixed based on Mr. Hobbys H338 and the engines / winglets are Mr Hobby H5 - a blue that is normally a tad too dark for the UA livery, but it fitted nicely to the rest of the decals. The silver on the edges is Mr Hobby’s “Super-Metallic SM201” which I can definitely recommend. It has some ultra fine pigments which gives it a nice even, polished look. Contrary to what is said somewhere it works on any kind of base colour, one does not need to paint black underneath – I tested it on different surfaces.

Overall I am satisfied with it and yeah its the first one of my special colour projects that is finished, currently working on 2 others.

Now  enjoy the pics.

Best regards,

Julien

ua1zyjpz.jpg

ua226jg6.jpg

ua3htkmp.jpg

ua4egkqd.jpg

ua5xxj6s.jpg

Edited by JK_Models
  • Like 40

Very nice Julien, I quite like these one off special schemes. Hopefully we will see an increased range of decals for the 757 now that Zvezda are releasing a mainstrem kit.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks, John. Yeah I am hoping the same, there are quite many nice 757‘s around past and present, so will be cool to see an increase in available decals - right now there are rather few.

Authentic Airliners definitely got that one right. It looks like a 757. Your build and paint work are wonderful. I'm looking forward to the Zvezda kit myself.

• Like 1

I got to drive it's brother a while ago, one of us is a wide body......it's not the aircraft !spacer.png

Edited by FLCH
posting text
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot, appreciate your comment Wulfman!

Nice to have a United Pilot posting here, FLCH.  I am still considering to do the „brother“ you are showing there as well at some point. 

• Like 1

Hi Julien;

Very Very nice build. This is your first AA build? I have built only one as well, an MD-11...and it was a fun and challenging adventure that certainly is nothing like building a plastic kit. And Kurt is most kind; always accommodating and easily accessible for questions or help. I'm about to begin an new AA build, and am excited to once again be on the workbench taking a different direction for a summer project. Your 757 is really beautiful, and unusual. The newer United livery has grown on me, and tends to really make the airplane stand out beautifully. You've done a fine job here. Always impressive to see what others have done with scratch building details...nicely done! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more AA builds from you soon! 

Paul

• Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

thanks for your kind comments. Yes it is my first AA. Actually seeing some super nice 757‘s from Turbofan here on Britmodeller inspired me to have a go at one.

As you say it is definitely different from a plastic model and for me this was a welcome change.

I am considering doing other AA‘s. Definitely interested in some widebodies, if they just would not take so much space..

What will your summer project be? It sounds very interesting! Looking forward to see it.

Julien

Awesome model, perfect craftmanship nice looking aircraft. I am really looking foward to see more models from you.

thanks for sharing

Greetings from Frankfurt 

Berk

Hi Berk,

thanks for your kind feedback and the share on instagram. Appreciate these words!

Hi Adam,

thanks. Yeah at some point I will have a go at the Zvezda 757. Definitely looking forward to it.

At the moment though I am focusing on finally finishing some planes instead of starting yet some other ones😉

Cheers,

Julien