1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan **NEW TOOL**

27 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

This build has been a disappointment to be honest. I started the kit in a flurry of anticipation and initially it all went well. Then the bête noire of the Airfix Vulcans (both new and old) struck - construction of the intakes... You expect grief with an old kit, but not on something that has been designed this recently!

Anyway, having dented my enthusiasm somewhat, I am back on this build. 😬

The intakes are still an ongoing WIP, so for my sanity I have moved onto other areas.

The intake splitter plate can be added to the trunking, all the internal seams sorted and painted before the intakes are located inside the wings.

There's always going to be seams to clean up on injection moulded intakes like this, mine aren't perfect but they're a vast improvement over the original kit

28 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I assume the section still on the sprue is for an alternative tail cone option in the future?

The kit tailcone is moulded with Red Steer Mk1 tail warning radar fitted to early Vulcan B.2's This was replaced in the late 60's/early 70's by the slightly more bulbous Red Steer Mk2 radome moulded separately which would be needed for B.2's later in their life such as next year's 40th Anniversary Black Buck reissue (speculation on my part but Airfix would be daft not to, the parts are in the kit already or have flashed over locating holes, just needs a small extra sprue and a decal sheet)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

This build has been a disappointment to be honest. I started the kit in a flurry of anticipation and initially it all went well. Then the bête noire of the Airfix Vulcans (both new and old) struck - construction of the intakes

I think I've struck it lucky by getting an original moulding. So far even the intakes are very little trouble.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Here are the tail sections components:

til.jpg

I assume the section still on the sprue is for an alternative tail cone option in the future? I'm sure @Adam Poultney can answer that one!

Yes, the part on the sprue is an alternative part for the tailcone, you can see where to cut if you need to replace it. The one moulded in place is Red Steer Mk1, the one moulded separately is Red Steer Mk2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

There's always going to be seams to clean up on injection moulded intakes like this, mine aren't perfect but they're a vast improvement over the original kit

GWH/Pit Road's 1/144 Vulcan has one piece slide moulded intakes. Not accurately shaped, but there are no seams down the centre. Slide moulding is very underused for these kinds of parts. 

Anyway, I hope we see resin intakes for this kit at some point. Would be very nice if we get narrow ones as well for XH533-XH539 and XH554-556, or any B1 conversions (I still want to try it with this kit at some point but I think I will wait for a conversion set or just give up and use an old tool with any applicable parts from a new one for detail)

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

Only just catching up with this build Matt, sorry to see your woes with this new kit, and completely unexpected, and something as new and expensive as this, unjustified.  The sink marks alone look awful.

I am a fan of the original Airfix example, and in the original 1983 boxing, it's a simple kit but to my mind it's just the badly rendered jetpipes that really let it down.

Anyway, cracking work and I'm sure you will create a stunner with it!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I am a fan of the original Airfix example, and in the original 1983 boxing, it's a simple kit but to my mind it's just the badly rendered jetpipes that really let it down.

I reckon you could splice on spares from the new kit, since it comes with both 201s and 301s you'll always end up with a spare set (at least enough of a spare set to use on an old tool, there are common parts between the two versions)

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The intake splitter plate can be added to the trunking, all the internal seams sorted and painted before the intakes are located inside the wings.

The kit tailcone is moulded with Red Steer Mk1 tail warning radar fitted to early Vulcan B.2's This was replaced in the late 60's/early 70's by the slightly more bulbous Red Steer Mk2 radome moulded separately which would be needed for B.2's later in their life such as next year's 40th Anniversary Black Buck reissue (speculation on my part but Airfix would be daft not to, the parts are in the kit already or have flashed over locating holes, just needs a small extra sprue and a decal sheet)

Yay🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞!

13 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I reckon you could splice on spares from the new kit, since it comes with both 201s and 301s you'll always end up with a spare set (at least enough of a spare set to use on an old tool, there are common parts between the two versions)

That's the plan, my old version is part of a Black Buck air to air refueling build so will hopefully gain the 301 pipes from the new kit, just need to check dimensions.

On 25/10/2021 at 16:45, Andy350 said:

I feel your pain.  Mine only stopped as I needed some more paint to complete the camo colours.

Hi Andy. Hopefully you'll be back on the build again soon!

On 25/10/2021 at 17:01, Dave Swindell said:

Thanks Dave - maybe I should have tried that!

On 25/10/2021 at 17:11, Bertie Psmith said:

I think I've struck it lucky by getting an original moulding. So far even the intakes are very little trouble.

Hi Bertie. Thoroughly enjoying your build - the anecdotes are great! There's some good modelling going on there too...!

22 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Yes, the part on the sprue is an alternative part for the tailcone, you can see where to cut if you need to replace it. The one moulded in place is Red Steer Mk1, the one moulded separately is Red Steer Mk2. 

22 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

GWH/Pit Road's 1/144 Vulcan has one piece slide moulded intakes. Not accurately shaped, but there are no seams down the centre. Slide moulding is very underused for these kinds of parts. 

Anyway, I hope we see resin intakes for this kit at some point. Would be very nice if we get narrow ones as well for XH533-XH539 and XH554-556, or any B1 conversions (I still want to try it with this kit at some point but I think I will wait for a conversion set or just give up and use an old tool with any applicable parts from a new one for detail)

Thanks Adam, I knew you would be able to shed some light on this! 🙂

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

Only just catching up with this build Matt, sorry to see your woes with this new kit, and completely unexpected, and something as new and expensive as this, unjustified.  The sink marks alone look awful.

Anyway, cracking work and I'm sure you will create a stunner with it!

Cheers James, I'll do my best! I liked the original tooling and I think I've been unlucky with this build to a degree.

20 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I think you could be right!

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking great! Keep at it. I’m sure you’ll end up with a stunner at the end. Fun’s in the journey right. 😀

Thanks Johnny, you're absolutely right. The fun stopped for a while but I'm enjoying this build again now.👍

Which brings me nicely onto the exhausts. Here are the jet pipes (top sprue) with the shrouds beneath:

ex1.jpg

Nicely molded again, with helpful numbering to keep the build from getting muddled! The jet pipes are also numbered, with tiny notches on the back where they cannot be seen - essential as they are all slightly different. 

These parts are glued together to give two sections - you can see the notches below:

ex5.jpg

Here are the rest of the shrouds, with a jig to glue them into the correct positions and more numbering to prevent mix ups:

ex2.jpg

The jig holds everything in place and helps align the shrouds around the jet pipes. The top one is built; the lower one is about to get glued too:

ex4.jpg

Finally the last section of the exhausts - turbine discs and ducting:

ex3.jpg

Very well organised by Airfix - possibly overly complicated(?) but very detailed and impressive.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Hi Bertie. Thoroughly enjoying your build - the anecdotes are great! There's some good modelling going on there too...!

Cheers James, I'll do my best! I liked the original tooling and I think I've been unlucky with this build to a degree.

Thanks Johnny, you're absolutely right. The fun stopped for a while but I'm enjoying this build again now.👍

Which brings me nicely onto the exhausts. Here are the jet pipes (top sprue) with the shrouds beneath:

ex1.jpg

Nicely molded again, with helpful numbering to keep the build from getting muddled! The jet pipes are also numbered, with tiny notches on the back where they cannot be seen - essential as they are all slightly different. 

These parts are glued together to give two sections - you can see the notches below:

ex5.jpg

Here are the rest of the shrouds, with a jig to glue them into the correct positions and more numbering to prevent mix ups:

ex2.jpg

The jig holds everything in place and helps align the shrouds around the jet pipes. The top one is built; the lower one is about to get glued too:

ex4.jpg

ex3.jpg

Very well organised by Airfix - possibly overly complicated(?) but very detailed and impressive.

Well I've got to say they look a lot better than the Old Skool version.  There's nothing there at all on mine! Did someone say you got two complete sets, one for the 201s and one for the 301s? If that's true I'll be sending out the begging letters from my thread before long.

13 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Did someone say you got two complete sets, one for the 201s and one for the 301s? If that's true I'll be sending out the begging letters from my thread before long.

I have a spare set:

301.jpg

Available to anybody who needs them, first come, first served!

43 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Crikey, that’s a lot of bits. I wonder why so many? To add.fun, Who knows? You’re doing a splendid job regardless.

Cheers Johnny. It was overly complicated but actually quite therapeutic, building the exhausts up in stages!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I have a spare set:

301.jpg

Available to anybody who needs them, first come, first served!

Cheers Johnny. It was overly complicated but actually quite therapeutic, building the exhausts up in stages!

If your spares are the larger, 301 engines version, I would like them very much please. 

18 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

ex1.jpg

ex5.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex4.jpg

ex3.jpg

Yes, the exhaust system looks very much better than the old skool version. Personally I wouldn't bother with the turbine discs as they were some 20 feet down the jetpipes and totally invisible from the outside. The jet pipes were soot black by the way, totally black and totally matt.

• Thanks 1

I hate it when this happens - two requests for one set of spare parts!

I am sending my set to @71chally, but can anybody else help out with @Bertie Psmith’s request please?

Im wondering if @Adam Poultney, @Andy350 or @Gondor44 have spare pipes left over from their builds?

Thanks in advance if anybody can help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I hate it when this happens - two requests for one set of spare parts!

I am sending my set to @71chally, but can anybody else help out with @Bertie Psmith’s request please?

Im wondering if @Adam Poultney, @Andy350 or @Gondor44 have spare pipes left over from their builds?

Thanks in advance if anybody can help.

I should be able to help out, let me get back to you chaps tomorrow.

• Thanks 1