1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan **NEW TOOL**

@Back in the Saddle, Glad to see you've sorted the intakes. There's nothing worse than losing one's enthusiasm by getting bogged down on one area. It happens to me at least once on every build 😬.

Those sink marks look like something on a 1970s kit. You'd think Airfix could do better these days. But that may be a moot point, since it seems the Vulcans (and other new Airfix releases) will never get across the pond anyway. The ship must be taking the long way around.

Peter

• Like 1

Glad to see you back on this one Matt. Looking at that front section I agree with @Peter O re the sink marks and all, but nothing that some filler and sanding can't fix I guess.

I see lots of pegs and clamps in a new tool Vulcan then, although anything this size would need lots.

Terry

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I see lots of pegs and clamps in a new tool Vulcan then, although anything this size would need lots.

The wooden clothes peg - one of the most useful things ever invented!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Back in the Saddle said:

At least there are no short shot pieces on this one. Quite a few people have had more serious issues with the kit than I’ve encountered so far…

I've been lucky as well to have no short shots in my first one. It's really not a good look for Airfix when their flagship release is a total mess on QC and missing details, the Mossie is a bit of a mess, the Sabre had some issues, etc

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I've been lucky as well to have no short shots in my first one. It's really not a good look for Airfix when their flagship release is a total mess on QC and missing details, the Mossie is a bit of a mess, the Sabre had some issues, etc

Just checked my Mosquito out.

No issues that I can see, except for the silly little pilots.

• Like 1

Another update on the intakes!

The clamps are now removed and this is how the intakes currently look:

i1.jpg

Numerous areas to fill and blend before adding the splitter plate... I have dry fitted this part in the next photo, to see how it looks:

i2.jpg

Care must be taken when dry fitting this part - it can be dropped inside the fuselage if you're not careful and I don't know if it would come out again easily!

Here's a head on view:

i3.jpg

Yet another gap to fill, on the inside of the splitter plate...

I'm really not impressed by the way Airfix designed this area. Far too many components all meeting in the same place. I consider myself to be a 'better than average' builder and I'm having my work cut out with this one. A more casual builder could end up with something that looks very messy...

• Like 10

Just now, Back in the Saddle said:

I'm really not impressed by the way Airfix designed this area. Far too many components all meeting in the same place. I consider myself to be a 'better than average' builder and I'm having my work cut out with this one. A more casual builder could end up with something that looks very messy...

I'm pretty underwhelmed by them also. It's an especially poor look for Airfix on a flagship kit like this when companies like Eduard can make seams practically non-existent. The engineering in this kit seems paradoxically both too precise and too imprecise. 

To any other model company intending to make a Vulcan in the future: 

Slide moulding exists, if you can't make practically seamless intakes, use it for goodness sakes! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, avro683 said:

The intakes on the real aircraft aren’t seamless, they have removable access panels which would be almost impossible to model, especially in 1/72.

The seams on the kit don't match up... they could at least have done it like that (or close to it) so you can at least justify leaving some trace of them.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

Great photo of the fuselage section going under the bridge! That’s only a few miles up the road from where I grew up in Poynton. The railway bridge itself is on London Road in Hazel Grove, it’s still there, still with adverts on I believe, albeit new ones, though I don’t go that way very often now. Must have been amazing to see huge bits of Vulcan trundling down the road. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I raise my hat in a salute to anyone who is determined enough to finish one of these kits. Looking at this build, it's clear to me that I'll never even be starting one.

I found it went together very well.

• Like 2

Nice work Matt, although I have to agree with some of the comments about quality...

My kit was missing a whole sprue and one side of the tail was a short shot.

Took numerous e-mails and two weeks to sort the parts sent the sprue but not the tail until another e-mail was sent.

I have always been a advocate for Airfix but they could do better !!!

• Sad 2

Wowa! How many builds do you have on the go? 😮 she’s looking very well engineered and you’re doing a fine job is wrestling her I to

place. I must agree with the others though, the sink marks And fit on the last few shots do look like a bit off for a new kit. Maybe We saw it in its worse light? Either way you seem to have this in hand. 👏👏👏

Johnny

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Wowa! How many builds do you have on the go? 😮

Currently seven!

2 x 747-8

1 x A380

1 x ATR-72

1 x Avro Vulcan

1 x TSR-2

1 x BAC/EE Canberra

The last two are very close to completion, so the bench may get a new addition soon! 😄

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

she’s looking very well engineered and you’re doing a fine job is wrestling her I to

place. I must agree with the others though, the sink marks And fit on the last few shots do look like a bit off for a new kit. Maybe We saw it in its worse light? Either way you seem to have this in hand. 👏👏👏

Some areas are well designed and some are not… Most areas are very crisply molded, but there are a few prominent sink marks. Some modellers have had short shot pieces. It’s been a fun build, but I’m unlikely to build another - this will be my second Vulcan and that’s enough for now!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2021 at 21:27, The Spadgent said:

Crikey! You’re giving CC a run for his money. 🤪

I've whittled them down a bit in the last month! Two more RFI's are imminent and the A380 is finally done, giving me some much needed space... Time to return to this one, which I've been ignoring for a month! 😆

I gave the model a quick blast of primer along the spine to see how she looks:

wpo.jpg

It ran a bit, but it's only a rough covering at the moment to highlight flaws. Hopefully some of it will run into a trench panel line.

Here is the port intake:

pi.jpg

And the starboard:

si.jpg

A bit more filling and sanding required, then I can get the splitter plates attached.

• Like 7

On 10/21/2021 at 2:38 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

more filling and sanding required

Speaking as someone who's currently working with the old Airfix Vulcan, I'm rather glad I didn't go for this one. The build seems significantly nastier to judge from your experience.

On 23/10/2021 at 14:29, Bertie Psmith said:

Speaking as someone who's currently working with the old Airfix Vulcan, I'm rather glad I didn't go for this one. The build seems significantly nastier to judge from your experience.

This build has been a disappointment to be honest. I started the kit in a flurry of anticipation and initially it all went well. Then the bête noire of the Airfix Vulcans (both new and old) struck - construction of the intakes... You expect grief with an old kit, but not on something that has been designed this recently!

Anyway, having dented my enthusiasm somewhat, I am back on this build. 😬

The intakes are still an ongoing WIP, so for my sanity I have moved onto other areas.

Here are the tail sections components:

til.jpg

I assume the section still on the sprue is for an alternative tail cone option in the future? I'm sure @Adam Poultney can answer that one!

The pieces quickly glued together to form the tail section:

t2.jpg

I will attach this soon, just in case it needs as much fettling as the intakes...

Work on the exhausts is next.👍

• Like 7