1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan **NEW TOOL**

You're all very welcome - I hope they make painting easier for you.👍

I'm going to make a confession - I'm starting to lose enthusiasm for this build, simply because of the intakes. Up until this point it was plain sailing and very pleasurable. I've now spent far too long on the intakes and there is no end in sight... Here's how they currently look:

gaps.jpg

The yellow primer is Halford's filling primer. It helps, but more model filler will be needed first!

I will keep plugging away at these - hopefully they will look acceptable soon...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I will keep plugging away at these - hopefully they will look acceptable soon...

You might want to attach the front part of the intakes/splitter plate, I thought it was pointless to get a good finish on the intake trunks then have to add the splitter plate and have to do more sanding and fettling to hide that joint.  The intake still fits into the wing halves after this work and it seemed easier than how Airfix would have you assemble it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

You're all very welcome - I hope they make painting easier for you.👍

I'm going to make a confession - I'm starting to lose enthusiasm for this build, simply because of the intakes. Up until this point it was plain sailing and very pleasurable. I've now spent far too long on the intakes and there is no end in sight... Here's how they currently look:

gaps.jpg

The yellow primer is Halford's filling primer. It helps, but more model filler will be needed first!

Keep pushing on, I've had my own pain with these.  I'm not good with problems and delays. 

35 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Keep pushing on, I've had my own pain with these.  I'm not good with problems and delays. 

Cheers Andy. I don’t mind the occasional problem, I just find the filling/sanding a bit tedious… It’ll get done, it’s just holding up the rest of the build!

12 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

And I thought the intakes in the old kit were bad!

I know, these ones look better but are equally difficult!

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

You might want to attach the front part of the intakes/splitter plate, I thought it was pointless to get a good finish on the intake trunks then have to add the splitter plate and have to do more sanding and fettling to hide that joint.  The intake still fits into the wing halves after this work and it seemed easier than how Airfix would have you assemble it.

That’s a good thought, I’ll take a look at those and see if I should attach them now.👍

• Like 1

@Back in the Saddle I can sympathize with your intake problems! I'm currently building the Victor K.2, and the intakes have been the most laborious part of the build. I nearly gave up and scratchbuilt intake covers for them, but decided that would be as much work as finishing the intakes. Now I'm glad I persevered. At least the Vulcan (and the Valiant) don't have all those extra splitter plates to fit into the intakes 👍

Peter

On 10/08/2021 at 08:48, STRAT'71 said:

Yet I found the intakes very straightforward.

Now I'm jealous! Mind are still ongoing...

On 10/08/2021 at 12:58, Peter O said:

I can sympathize with your intake problems! I'm currently building the Victor K.2, and the intakes have been the most laborious part of the build. I nearly gave up and scratchbuilt intake covers for them, but decided that would be as much work as finishing the intakes. Now I'm glad I persevered. At least the Vulcan (and the Valiant) don't have all those extra splitter plates to fit into the intakes 👍

Thanks Peter. Having had the pain of the Matchbox/Revell Victor a couple of years ago I know exactly what you mean!

These are slowly getting better...

On 10/08/2021 at 13:20, Andy350 said:

What were the joins like, mine were pretty bad.

The upper/lower joints were OK, it is hiding the splitter than is causing the most grief. Here's the latest:

3.jpg

I'm about to sand it back again - hopefully it is approaching acceptability!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

These are slowly getting better...

They are indeed and I reckon it will be worth all the effort in the end. Not as awkward to get to as internal intakes on some small scale fast jet models!

Terry

On 8/10/2021 at 2:12 AM, Chaotic Mike said:

Only a matter of time before someone produces a one-piece drop-in replacement with a 3D printer, I reckon! 

Yes, and they will no doubt be available about the same time I get my kit's intakes assembled, puttied, sanded, and primed!

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2021 at 3:12 AM, Chaotic Mike said:

Only a matter of time before someone produces a one-piece drop-in replacement with a 3D printer, I reckon! 

That sounds good, but they'll still need to be smoothed to remove the characteristic stepping effect. That's not something I'd want to try doing all the way down the intakes.

Alley Cat makes seamless intakes for the Valiant, but I don't think anyone has produced seamless intakes for the Airfix Victor -- they're all for the old Matchbox kit. So it's possible nobody will make Vulcan intakes either...

On 11/08/2021 at 13:41, Terry1954 said:

They are indeed and I reckon it will be worth all the effort in the end. Not as awkward to get to as internal intakes on some small scale fast jet models!

Thanks Terry. Access is not an issue!

The intakes are finally done and awaiting paint. The fans themselves are also ready, having had a dirty wash to bring out the details:

fns.jpg

I am looking forward to getting these installed then closing up the wing - I feel that will be a major milestone in the build.

• Like 9

I've nearly sorted my undercarriage bays, like you the intakes though.......

I have found out that Revell 301 is an equivelant to Humbrol 130 and is also almost identical to Halfords White Plastic Primer :think:

Gondor

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The intakes caused me to lose interest in this build for a while... They are now done - they could be better, but I've spent hours on these so far. They are no glued into position:

int.jpg

The eagle-eyed will notice the fan blades are missing. I have subsequently fixed this omission! The top of the wing goes on next, then more filling and blending at the front of the intakes awaits...

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

It's nice seeing pictures like this. They show how much space all the various parts that go to make up an aircraft fit inside the shape the designers came up with.

Cheers Gondor. Funnily enough, I'm reading a book about the development of the Vulcan at the moment. The central section was designed to house the bomb bay and engines - the wings were separate and housed the main landing gear. Useful for transportation...!

bw.jpg

Centre section en-route from Chadderton to Woodford - it had to fit through the tunnel!

I tacked the upper wing surface on yesterday and secured the front cockpit section:

snk.jpg

A few sink marks, gaps and seams to attend to there!

I then used almost my entire clamp collection to hold the top of the wing in place whilst the glue set:

clmps.jpg

I shall release the model later once everything is solid!

• Like 10