1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan **NEW TOOL**

6 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I’ve always used blu-tack stuck over odd shaped windows, pushed to the exact shape and size with a cocktail stick or blunt end of tweezers. Very Heath-Robinson but it seemed to work.

Sounds like a good solution! I’ve heard from Tony, so will hopefully get his photos posted on here later. Looking forward to seeing the details of the u/c bays!

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

That looks like a tidier solution compared to the old kit, there will still be seam lines but at least the leading edge is one piece. Still, a lot of work!

I'm leaving these for now, but will fettle them soon! I'll report back with some pictures and see how they look once completed...

In the meantime, here are the undercarriage bay pictures from @avro683 - thanks Tony!

Avro Vulcan

Avro Vulcan

Avro Vulcan

Avro Vulcan

Avro Vulcan

Avro Vulcan

Avro Vulcan

Avro Vulcan

Some nice details there - painting the bays can continue!

Thanks again to Tony for providing the photos - I think they will be appreciated by quite a few builders!👍

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

I take it that the smallest panel that is hanging down in the pictures is normally up and is only down for "maintenance purposes"?

Good spot! I would assume so, given there are gauges in that area - it doesn’t look as if that panel would need to open to allow the undercarriage to transit up or down.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

I take it that the smallest panel that is hanging down in the pictures is normally up and is only down for "maintenance purposes"?

Gondor

correct

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I'm leaving these for now, but will fettle them soon! I'll report back with some pictures and see how they look once completed...

In the meantime, here are the undercarriage bay pictures from @avro683 - thanks Tony!

Some nice details there - painting the bays can continue!

Thanks again to Tony for providing the photos - I think they will be appreciated by quite a few builders!👍

My pleasure, I hope that they are of use to everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

White, but due to the lack of lighting they look darker…

What are your plans for weathering, I think you mentioned about using some "dark dirt", when I am too minds if to use thinned black oil??

The pictures were taken on Thursday afternoon in searing hot temperatures with bright sunlight, neither of which are helpful when taking photographs. The aircraft is painted in the same 44 squadron scheme she was in on arrival from Waddington in February 1983; I wasn’t there but I really wish I was! Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green camouflage over Light Aircraft Grey. The bays are very definitely white, the contrast in real life is actually greater than it looks. There is a tan coloured panel to the rear of the retro fitted  raised Doppler radar (which is Light Aircraft Grey). I should have taken a picture of that also; that may explain why the transfer on the kit sheet is tan. It needs trimming because it shouldn’t cover the raised panel, which needs to be removed (as has been written elsewhere) if the kit scheme A is being modelled.

Edited by avro683
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, avro683 said:

The pictures were taken on Thursday afternoon in searing hot temperatures with bright sunlight, neither of which are helpful when taking photographs. The aircraft is painted in the same 44 squadron scheme she was in on arrival from Waddington in February 1983; I wasn’t there but I really wish I was! Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green camouflage over Light Aircraft Grey. The bays are very definitely white, the contrast in real life is actually greater than it looks. There is a tan coloured panel to the rear of the retro fitted  raised Doppler radar (which is Light Aircraft Grey). I should have taken a picture of that also; that may explain why the transfer on the kit sheet is tan. It needs trimming because it shouldn’t cover the raised panel, which needs to be removed (as has been written elsewhere) if the kit scheme A is being modelled.

Nice work Matt, I have started the major assemblies on mine , was just trying to decide which A/C to complete ???  

Newark's 594 was logical, as I am only 20 minutes from there but I have a bigger version in mind for that...... However a visit across the runway on Sunday has brought the decision to 575 resident in East Midlands Aeropark in Wrap round DSG / Green. 

By the way Newark's Vulcan is Medium Sea Grey on top.

I can get to either fairly easily (20) minutes if you want any other references

Regards

Paul

12 hours ago, Andy350 said:

What are your plans for weathering, I think you mentioned about using some "dark dirt", when I am too minds if to use thinned black oil??

Hi Andy. I'm using a Flory wash (dark dirt to be specific) to pick out the details - photos coming up...

If you don't have that, you can used thinned paint of the appropriate colour to make your own wash, just make sure the original paint is completely dry before trying this, otherwise you will probably cause the original paint to come off...

11 hours ago, avro683 said:

Thanks Tony. Photography in those conditions is never easy - too much contrast is often an issue... Thanks for the info about the tan coloured panel too.👍

7 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Nice work Matt, I have started the major assemblies on mine , was just trying to decide which A/C to complete ???  

Cheers Paul. I was intending to go with the camouflage scheme, but reserve the right to go all white at a later stage!

7 hours ago, Paulaero said:

I can get to either fairly easily (20) minutes if you want any other references

Thanks very much for the offer - I might take you up on that!😀

Armed with Tony's pictures, work on the u/c bays has continued. Firstly a dark wash, as mentioned above, to pick out the recessed detail:

dty.jpg

It looks awful at this stage, but once wiped clean I picked out some other details and brush painted those:

wsh.jpg

The bays were then assembled:

blt.jpg

And clamped into place:

clp.jpg

The nose gear did not fit desperately well, needing three clamps and a shim to fill a gap:

shm.jpg

Work on the intakes is next, then I can get the top of the wing glued into place and see how it looks.

• Like 14

13 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

And clamped into place:

clp.jpg

The nose gear did not fit desperately well, needing three clamps and a shim to fill a gap:

shm.jpg

Work on the intakes is next, then I can get the top of the wing glued into place and see how it looks.

a veritable clamp fest, Any more clamps in your arsenal Matt? 😁

On 21/07/2021 at 08:04, Biggles87 said:

The bays look pretty good to me.

The clamps look useful also, I’m still using wooden clothes pegs and should probably upgrade.

Thanks John. I use clothes pegs all the time too, but have a few other clamps for larger jobs - I think they've all made an appearance in this build!

On 21/07/2021 at 11:22, Sparkie said:

a veritable clamp fest, Any more clamps in your arsenal Matt? 😁

I haven't used my micro clamps yet - this models is too big for those! 😆

On 21/07/2021 at 17:51, Lord Riot said:

Those undercarriage bays look amazing.

Thank you. 👍

The intakes are now built and awaiting a round (or two!) of filling and sanding. No photos of this yet; I'll pop some up when I get this stage finished.

On 25/07/2021 at 11:54, Andy350 said:

Hi Matt, really sorry, just noticed I had post into your thread by mistake, I have now removed these.

No worries! 🙂

On 25/07/2021 at 12:22, Space Ranger said:

Yes, indeed. Who makes those snazzy hi-tech clamps?

Hi Michael. They are all made by Amtech - I searched on eBay a while ago for "ratchet clamps" and found them that way. I'm sure normal shops supply them too.👍

Like @Andy350, I am also working on my intakes. Having built them, I gave all the joints a good coating of Mr. Surfacer 500:

500.jpg

I've spent a while sanding the insides with a pencil wrapped in 240 grit paper and am *nearly* happy with them! I'll leave the photos until they're actually done...!😁

• Like 3

On 7/18/2021 at 10:21 PM, avro683 said:

I’m still trying to work out how to get mine loaded, using One Drive. I’m not seeing an embed option when I open the relevant file. 

You need to log into the OneDrive website rather than your pc’s file manager. Then select one of your pictures (it will show a tick) and click on embed. It’s easy after that. 

Edited by Bertie Psmith
typo

On 7/20/2021 at 10:03 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

The bays were then assembled:

blt.jpg

The two round things on the roof of each mainwheel bay are servicing lights that came on when the Houchin was plugged in. They were white, like the one in the nosewheel bay, with a black base which would be well represented by a wash. The NWB one is perfect.

Edited by Bertie Psmith
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The two round things on the roof of each mainwheel bay are servicing lights that came on when the Houchin was plugged in. They were white, like the one in the nosewheel bay, with a black base which would be well represented by a wash. The NWB one is perfect. (I used to be a Leckie on Vulcans)

Thanks Bertie, I’ll change the colour to white and add a wash around them as you suggested.👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

No worries! 🙂

Hi Michael. They are all made by Amtech - I searched on eBay a while ago for "ratchet clamps" and found them that way. I'm sure normal shops supply them too.👍

Like @Andy350, I am also working on my intakes. Having built them, I gave all the joints a good coating of Mr. Surfacer 500:

500.jpg

I've spent a while sanding the insides with a pencil wrapped in 240 grit paper and am *nearly* happy with them! I'll leave the photos until they're actually done...!😁

Great progress Matt, looks a lot easier doing this before fitting.  Also did the pencil wrapped in grit, works well, better then the dremel.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:46 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

You need to log into the OneDrive website rather than your pc’s file manager. Then select one of your pictures (it will show a tick) and click on embed. It’s easy after that. 

Thanks Bertie. I’m back at Newark today 🙂

On 7/26/2021 at 9:46 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

Can’t find ‘embed’