1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan **NEW TOOL**

4 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks Andy. Yes, I’ll be airbrushing with them. Is this your first time at airbrushing, or first time airbrushing with Humbrol enamels?

No I've airbrushed before, but not with the humbrol enamels. 

Any tips? 

4 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Any tips?

Just the usual - stir them well, thin with Humbrol thinners until you get a milky consistency and practice on an old model to see how it goes!

The main problem I’ve had is that some older tins are very poor but if you’re using new ones I think you’ll be fine. 👍

• Thanks 1

Looking great Matt, thanks for the nice clear photographs. Totally agree about the open bomb bay option, how can anyone hide all that lovely detail? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Agreed, that’s a pretty comprehensive bomb bay, it would be a shame to hide it.

My initial intention was to go for anti-flash white with Blue Steel, but I’m beginning to waver, I wonder if there is any alternative to just ‘iron’ bombs. My book should arrive soon so perhaps I’ll find some ideas in that.

Stay safe.

John

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Just the usual - stir them well, thin with Humbrol thinners until you get a milky consistency and practice on an old model to see how it goes!

The main problem I’ve had is that some older tins are very poor but if you’re using new ones I think you’ll be fine. 👍

Thanks Matt, I've used some acrylic humbrol before with humbrol acrylic thinners, but never with the enamel, so will pick up the required paints and thinner.  I was going to go with the blue steel option on this, but I realise that a lot of detail will be missing, decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

My initial intention was to go for anti-flash white with Blue Steel, but I’m beginning to waver, I wonder if there is any alternative to just ‘iron’ bombs. My book should arrive soon so perhaps I’ll find some ideas in that.

Stay safe.

John

I have the same dilemma!

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 9:22 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks Andy. 👍 I intend to use the Humbrol enamels as suggested by Airfix. I've used them before with excellent results, but beware if you are using old stock - they had a few dodgy batches several years ago! The new tins should perform well.

It's worth waiting for - hope you get it soon!

For some reason I seem to have little spare time at the moment for hobbies...🙄 However, I managed to finish the nose and applied some filler on a few areas to tidy it up - I will post pictures once I've sanded this section. In the meantime, work on the bomb bay is going well. Here are the parts:

bb.jpg

Rear spar at the top, bomb bay sides beneath that, then the front spar in the middle. Bottom left are the helpfully numbered formers and bottom right are the bits they glue onto. Once assembled we get the basic shape of the bomb bay:

bb1.jpg

The wing brace is next - here are the parts:

bce.jpg

A bit of cleaning up required, but nothing too critical - nothing glues onto the areas where the numerous tabs are located.👍

The wing lower halves have guides molded into them for the above pieces, which can be seen below around the gear area and towards the back of the wing:

wlw.jpg

The high lighted areas need to be cut away for the Blue Steel version of the aircraft and should be relatively easy to remove (if required). Incidentally, if building the Blue Steel version of the Vulcan all the detail in the bomb bay cannot be seen, which is why I'm going for the conventional free fall bomb option! It would be a shame to hide the bomb bay structure...

Finally a look at how the wing halves join together. There are tabs molded onto one side (high lighted orange, below), which align the wing with the other side and strengthen the joint:

wll.jpg

It sounds good in theory - I should find out soon how well it works in practice!

Those tabs will require thinning down to allow a flush fit.

On 7/6/2021 at 3:57 PM, Adam Poultney said:

I was hoping that more WIPs would appear but it seems to be just us two sharing our builds for now 😕 Come on Britmodeller! Don't you all want to build some Vulcans?

Nope. Too big and not enough propellers. 

But I love the Vulcan, saw it flying many times and on this occasion I'm happy to follow along and share the excitement without the expense and hassle of building my own. 😄

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, STRAT'71 said:

Those tabs will require thinning down to allow a flush fit.

I didn't have a problem with mine, but maybe the more experience builder might see something?

On 12/07/2021 at 22:54, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking great Matt, thanks for the nice clear photographs. Totally agree about the open bomb bay option, how can anyone hide all that lovely detail? 

Cheers.. Dave 

You're welcome Dave - hopefully this thread shows what's inside the box and how it all goes together!

On 13/07/2021 at 05:58, Biggles87 said:

👍

On 13/07/2021 at 07:25, Andy350 said:

Thanks Matt, I've used some acrylic humbrol before with humbrol acrylic thinners, but never with the enamel, so will pick up the required paints and thinner.  I was going to go with the blue steel option on this, but I realise that a lot of detail will be missing, decisions, decisions.

I can never get on with acrylics for some reason. I tried them again yesterday on my TSR-2 and had a few problems before getting the result I wanted. Enamels seem to be easier!

9 hours ago, Andy350 said:

I didn't have a problem with mine, but maybe the more experience builder might see something?

Same here, it went together without any problems.👍

I finished bracing the wings earlier. Here's the first photo, with one side done and one to go:

br1.jpg

The outline frame slots together nicely and is tight enough to stay together without glue. I applied a little Tamiya extra thin to the joints and soon had this bit completed:

br2.jpg

The spar section in the middle dropped into place and was glued to secure it:

br4.jpg

I then used the wing lower half as a jig to confirm the frame alignment was as expected, taking care not to glue the framework onto the wing:

br3.jpg

I departed from the instructions slightly and glued the two lower wing halves together:

br5.jpg

Note the holes which have been drilled out at the rear of the jet pipes, to allow ECM plates and oil pipes to be glued later.

Finally another clamping session to glue the frame to the wing:

br6.jpg

Once set, it is very strong - it will be even stronger once the top of the wing goes on!

Wheel bays and intakes are next.👍

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I can never get on with acrylics for some reason. I tried them again yesterday on my TSR-2 and had a few problems before getting the result I wanted. Enamels seem to be easier!

Same here, it went together without any problems.👍

I'm going to give them a go, I'll need some thinner for the enamels, but will be interesting to see how these go on. 

Your model is coming on really well, seems we're both at similar stages. 

Chretd

21 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

I'm going to give them a go, I'll need some thinner for the enamels, but will be interesting to see how these go on. 

Chretd

I use standard celulose thinners (get 5 litres cheap from work) and get very satisfying results with humbroll, revell and tamiya paints. Spray them in the shed because it stinks and prime with halfords primers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

I use standard celulose thinners (get 5 litres cheap from work) and get very satisfying results with humbroll, revell and tamiya paints. Spray them in the shed because it stinks and prime with halfords primers

Thanks, I just posted in the painting section, so Halford car paint Primer is OK? 

1 minute ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks, I just posted in the painting section, so Halford car paint Primer is OK? 

Yes , the grey black and white are all excellent.

• Like 1

That’s looking very sturdy.

I have been using Halfords acrylic primers for years, but I will have to look for an alternative soon as my supply is low and I doubt I will be going to the UK any time soon.

For airbrushing I start with a 50/50 mixture of paint to thinners and adjust if necessary after testing.

John

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I have been using Halfords acrylic primers for years, but I will have to look for an alternative soon as my supply is low and I doubt I will be going to the UK any time soon.

For airbrushing I start with a 50/50 mixture of paint to thinners and adjust if necessary after testing.

John

Thanks John

23 hours ago, Andy350 said:

From your experience what is the best paint/thinner ratio for air bruising? 

Not really sure just wing it mainly. Ive got a load of plastic pipettes off ebay and squirt a bit of thinners in the airbrush cup and add 1 or 2 paintbrushes full of paint then spray and go from there. If its too thick and wont spray add another squirt of thinners or too thin a bit more paint . Its probably 70/30 ish

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 20:40, Andy350 said:

Thank you! On the whole, it is going together well. I have one minor issue, but will cover that next time I post an update…

On 15/07/2021 at 06:24, Biggles87 said:

Thanks John. I think it will be very robust once the top wing surfaces are also in place.

I like the Halford’s paints too, but have problems sometimes getting them on the model. Spray cans are not as controllable as air brushes!

One quick question. Are there any good references for the inside of the undercarriage bays? I need to paint them but am struggling for good pictures…@Adam Poultney - any suggestions where I can find some images please?

Cheers!

Just now, Back in the Saddle said:

Thank you! On the whole, it is going 

One quick question. Are there any good references for the inside of the undercarriage bays? I need to paint them but am struggling for good pictures…@Adam Poultney - any suggestions where I can find some images please?

Cheers!

Me! I was at Newark Air Museum on Thursday afternoon to collect my pair and took the opportunity to take some photos at the same time.

• Like 1

I have a few pictures but not many, I'm visiting XJ823 next week so hopefully I'll be able to get some then. A lot of them have meshes or netting in the wheel wells to stop birds nesting so getting pictures isn't always possible.

8ca7c7aefe1737ad50b387f75c1c3ec9.jpg

61f5ba17d9cad59dee0fb42b57f476f6.jpg

15b892f2f9733c1386e1f59f3e039e73.jpg

f1c35e60a65d1820b7de348fb527c8da.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I have a few pictures but not many, I'm visiting XJ823 next week so hopefully I'll be able to get some then. A lot of them have meshes or netting in the wheel wells to stop birds nesting so getting pictures isn't always possible.

Great photos really useful.

• Like 1