Avro Vulcan B.2 (A12011) 1:72

Mike

9 minutes ago, Bellerophon said:

...so I hope this is a big seller for Airfix, especially here in the States.

There seems to be a renewed interest in Skyshield of late.

A couple of YouTube history channels have made content relating to 'When Britiain Bombed America, twice' by Mark Felton.

I doubt Airfix are priming influencers but it's a nice coincidence. 

Aircraft involved for those that want to model them:

Skyshield 2.

27 squadron from Bermuda. XJ824, XH555, XJ823, ?.

83 squadron from Lossiemouth. ?

Love it... but my CO says no... I have enough kits already , what!!!60 quid for a box of bits!!!! and where am I going to put it.  I said I'll just leave it in the box and drool over the parts and virtually build it in my mind.  But I might have to remain satisfied with my GWH 1/144 ones( one built, one not)

By the way there seems to be a lot of jet pipes. More than one version I take it?

Well, according to my texts I'm due to have mine delivered today courtesy of the Big H. Like others, I'm really hoping to build a Black Buck version but having seen how things can go with both kit development and availability, I tend to grab what is available at the time 'just in case', so that whatever happens I can still build a great version of the model. Same reason for my Chinook purchase.

• Like 1

Dip your bread boys, it looks a belter. I think one should be a permanent fixture on the Manchester stand.

I hope the Black Buck set will come with decals for XM597 plus instructions to snap the refuelling probe off so you can depict Black Buck 6!

Looks amazing, I am looking forward to getting one (I think one is all I have space for given that I have also built the old one and the Valiant and have the Victor in the stash!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Now surely Airfix can concentrate on the Short Sperrin..I'll get my coat!

...or perhaps its Avro antecedent? The Avro Lincoln! :pilot:

• Like 2

On 01/07/2021 at 21:38, At Sea said:

Aircraft involved for those that want to model them:

Skyshield 2.

27 squadron from Bermuda. XJ824, XH555, XJ823, ?.

83 squadron from Lossiemouth. ?

XH555 would be a pain, narrow intakes. 

On 01/07/2021 at 21:53, Paul J said:

But I might have to remain satisfied with my GWH 1/144 ones( one built, one not)

That's a kit that needs a reissue.... not perfect, but it's a fun build and looks good. Just a shame they made so many small mistakes as the quality of the actual plastic is very good.

On 01/07/2021 at 21:53, Paul J said:

By the way there seems to be a lot of jet pipes. More than one version I take it?

Yep, there are two versions included. Later Olympus 200 series jetpipes (202 iirc with the bumps around the edge) and Olympus 301 jetpipes. Just missing the early 200 series ones which were smooth, but it would be an easy modification to make.

On 01/07/2021 at 22:21, 12jaguar said:

Now surely Airfix can concentrate on the Short Sperrin..I'll get my coat!

John

You know I'd buy one!

On 02/07/2021 at 15:21, RichG said:

The Avro Lincoln! :pilot:

Please!

13 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Avro Manchester? 

Please!!!!

• Like 1

My big red box arrived this morning (big shout-out to Jadlam for working some sort of magic to get me it and to Airfix for turning base plastic into gold in the first place) - woohoo!

First impressions are that it is indeed a beautiful kit in the Airfix style. To take one aspect,  I personally was really impressed by the decal sheet which looks gorgeous (remember the old days when this was an Airfix achillies heel? They've come a long way). I 'm sure this will provide a great basis for many of the different schemes for the early phase of the Vulcan's career (up to the early 70's). Just add after market squadron markings and serials for your chosen subject.  In particular I think they have the shade of red for the national markings spot on. I am always really disapointed seeing after market decals with a garish bright red colour used - although it is rarely commented on.  I guess we can expect further releases in due course featuring markings used in the later years of its career, Black Buck missions, wrap-round DG/DSG etc. as I am sure this will be a really popular kit, giving Airfix the confidence for more boxings.  Incidentally I noticed Airfix have used the Blue Steel moulding from the Victor B2 kit (so make sure to use the correct Blue Steel bomb bay insert - i.e. not the one on the missile sprue, but you knew that...)  - great idea though & saving money in the process!

:goodjob:

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 11:42, RichG said:

I personally was really impressed by the decal sheet which looks gorgeous (remember the old days when this was an Airfix achillies heel? They've come a long way)

Their persistent use of Cartograf has done wonders for the quality of the print, and perhaps experience with decal artists that were less than stellar has been a lesson learned.  Whatever the reason, it's a good thing :yes:

Incidentally, can we keep the wishlist posts off this thread please?  There are plenty of those around anyway, so we don't need any more :)

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but I have a set of Two Mikes resin intakes for the original or shall we call it the 'legacy' Airfix kit which I have never built, and as my back order arrived last week for the new one, I was wondering if they would fit the new tool?  Would cut down filling, sanding, filling again etc! 

1 hour ago, Jon Stork said:

I have a set of Two Mikes resin intakes

I mastered those back in the day, and although they do look a bit similar, I doubt you'd want to use them, as the new intakes are a lot more slick than the originals, even after I'd sanded and filled the bejeezuz out of them :)

On 7/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, John the Yank said:

Can someone post up the instruction sheet so I can drool before they arrive in the US.

JTY

There is a pdf of the instruction sheet posted on the Scalemates entry for the kit.  However, it’s missing two pages: 26 and 27.  The missing bits are for installation of the open bomb bay doors, lower air brakes, and assembly of the Blue Steel.

1 hour ago, Willi3d said:

There is a pdf of the instruction sheet posted on the Scalemates entry for the kit.  However, it’s missing two pages: 26 and 27.  The missing bits are for installation of the open bomb bay doors, lower air brakes, and assembly of the Blue Steel.

It's also missing the decal placement guides and color schemes.

OOH! I resisted but after having been in one And after the flight over my house this turned out to be a fruitless exercise. I bought the last one in my LMS namely HMW. Now what about the add ons ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kit Linx in the USA sent an email to announce that a shipment of the Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 had arrived. I am aware that these are done on a "first come, first served" listing. so, I may, or may not get my Vulcan soon. that's fine as their service is good; and, I shall receive it. they don't charge until the item is boxed and shipped; so, I have no worries about that.

• 1 month later...

Hey  all, 

I liked the old Vulcan from the eighties very much, but if I recall it right it had one nasty error: the forward fuselage wasn't circular in cross section, but oval! I remember adding a wedge of about 4 mm in depth at the front to get it more or less right. The little radar nimble I had cut off first and replaced it therafter...

To my eye the new kit has the forward section not split horizontally but vertically. I hope the error of the old kit is not repeated in any form. But if you put the old and the new ones side by side when built, the difference should be very noticable I'm afraid...

• 2 weeks later...