HFB 320 Hansa Jet in 1:72. Helmut Schmidt´s little Jet in Paris

Hello mates,

here my new Hansa Jet! Quite a lot of work: Amodel what else...

French AF Colonel has last minute secret papers for chancellor Helmut Schmidt at Orly 1. Mai 1974...

Cheers,

Tom

hansajetDSC_7888 hansajetDSC_79dc01 hansajetDSC_79c01 hansajetDSC_7897 hansajetDSC_7901

• Like 65
  • Thanks 3

Beautiful! If mine turns out to look half as good as that I'll be happy. What problems, if any, did you encounter building it?

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Thanks 1

For a kit that gave problems, the end result looks quite good. The overall diorama is definitely well done.

9 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Beautiful! If mine turns out to look half as good as that I'll be happy. What problems, if any, did you encounter building it?

Thanks mates!

@Space ranger:

Lots of problems! Its amodel. Asymmetry, blind glass, no internals, no details, no stecils, wrong decals ... did i forget something? 100hrs for the jet alone...

6 minutes ago, Britman said:

Very nice indeed! Is that a GenneDAME by the car?🙃

Keith

@Keith:

The trainee, daughter? of the french Colonel beside the pilot is a 3D Maim figure: female mechanic

Mechanic with Wrench

MAiM | No. MAIM72004 | 1:72 Der Sockelshop Germany

Cheers!

• Like 2

Very nice indeed, reminds me of of the day I was weathered in at Cherbourg. A Deutsche Marine Brequet Atlantic arrived. There was a great deal of military ceremony and saluting. 

I was duly impressed.  No idea what was going on. But it's similar to your scenario. 

Looks good. 

• Like 2

This is really the best Hansa Jet I've seen!  It's spot-on, and I can't even imagine the effort you put into it.  How did you do the cabin windows?  Bravo!  Is that Herr Schmidt I see, seated there in the exit row up front?  Looks like he's reading the latest North Atlantic Council meeting minutes.  

Schmidt was--in my opinion--one of postwar Germany's best strategic thinkers, and remains unsurpassed in his ability to distill complex information.  He was the right Chancellor at the right time.

• Like 5

Thank you mates,

that you like it so much!!  🙂

6 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is really the best Hansa Jet I've seen!  It's spot-on, and I can't even imagine the effort you put into it.  How did you do the cabin windows?  Bravo!  Is that Herr Schmidt I see, seated there in the exit row up front?  Looks like he's reading the latest North Atlantic Council meeting minutes.  

Schmidt was--in my opinion--one of postwar Germany's best strategic thinkers, and remains unsurpassed in his ability to distill complex information.  He was the right Chancellor at the right time.

@TheyJammedKenny!: Schmidt is rated the best of all Kanzler in Germany by all. CDU/CSU wont tell ...

Pilot takes file, last window left Schmidt with Bölling a bit more inside, first right Ben Wisch nose to glass (best to see), last right Genscher 🙂

The windows were a nightmare, they didnt match in form and curvature, milky too, so the full program: all superglued, sanded 800 to 3000 and polishedpolishedpolished

Cheers!

• Like 4

What a little beauty. Great work with the transparencies. Unfortunately Amodel transparencies can be a bit hit and miss quality wise, often requiring intervention of some kind by the modler. But nothing is insurmountable and thank goodness for companies that give us the chance to model aircraft such as this.

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

But nothing is insurmountable and thank goodness for companies that give us the chance to model aircraft such as this.

Exactly, 1000%

Cheers!

• Like 1

Oh my goodness! Now that takes me back! I studied swept forward wings for my dissertation back in 1988. I cited the Hansa Jet, Ju287 and the X-29 as practical examples of the wing platform. I built two wings, one swept back, the other swept forward at the same angle, and flew them in a wind tunnel. They had a NACA 0012 aero foil that I carved by hand (took me a whole term to do). I remember at least one research paper coming from NASA on microfiche (who’s heard of that these days?). It was considered very daring to actually write to NASA to get stuff, but I remember thinking ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained’. The work itself is lost in time (my ex- wife got rid of it as well as the rest of my engineering work and a huge swathe of my maths degree in a fit of pique), but I remember the FSW gave 15% less drag and 10% more lift over the conventional wing, as well as a massively reduced stalling speed. This almost stall-proof property without the need for wing fences, dog-teeth, etc is what makes FSW aircraft so attractive. The tendency to flutter, twist and come off is what makes it unattractive. 
As I recall, the main reason for the Hansa Jet’s platform was that it put the wing box at the back of the cabin, giving  a longer and clearer passenger area, rather than any aerodynamic reason. I think it and some gliders like the Blanik are the only aircraft with that planform to reach actual production, but it’s so long ago that I’m happy to be wrong.
Isn’t it amazing how something can trigger such vivid memories? And where did that time go?

Edited by The Famous Eccles
  • Like 1