Rib tape WW2 style?

Bozothenutter

That might be a little difficult, as IIRC, rib tapes were not uniform from nation to nation, and even from manufacturer to manufacturer; some were straight strips and some looked like they were cut with 'pinking; shears, with zig-zag edges. In 1/48 scale. you could use decal stock or vinyl auto pin striping/kabuki  tape to simulate the rib tapes- with a coat of  to seal them.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Does anybody make such a thing in 1/48?

Seeing a use in control surfaces, where they'd add a subtle touch. 

I think Archer only do WWII in 1/24th and 1/32nd. Like Mike says some decal paper or tape is probably a good way to go, I've seen people use Bare Metal Foil before.

• Thanks 1

Another approach would be to initially paint the fabric control surfaces a slightly lighter version of whatever color they will be, mask the ribs with .7mm tape and then paint as normal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chuck1945 said:

Another approach would be to initially paint the fabric control surfaces a slightly lighter version of whatever color they will be, mask the ribs with .7mm tape and then paint as normal

Ohh, I like this.

How about the bumps underneath,  like say on a 109?

2 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Just be carefully as this looks bad when people get the contrast too high, it has to be done very subtle.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Of course you could also mask it up, paint a good few coats, unmask it and then apply your top coat, that would make it easy to keep subtle.

I'd think 2 or 3 coats of a good surfacing primer over the ribs might give enough subtle relief...

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 9:31 AM, Chuck1945 said:

Vladimir Kafka (aka, "Airone Hobby") makes beautiful, re-usable masks for exactly this purpose, which accurately mirror the actual structure for a given aircraft. They are available through Hannants.

https://www.aironehobby.com

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2