Rubbish Aviation Photography - when it goes wrong!

I was in Wensleydale a few weeks ago and was treated to a fly past of four USAF F15s very nice of them. I've never seen any fast jets up there before and it was a beautiful day. Unfortunately all I had with me was my Fuji XE3 with an 18-55 lens. Not ideal for aviation photography but I had a go...

spacer.png

Not only is the aircraft out of focus (the camera has grabbed the old gas light on the side of the station building) even with the zoom fully extended to 55mm it is little better than a vaguely F15 shaped smudge. I can't be bothered to correct the vertical in PP even!

I tried, I failed...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't feel bad about this shot, my friend. When I go to any air-show, I would say that 70% of the shots I take are "instant-delete" level. There isn't a photographer in history who's only ever taken great shots (anyone who claims they do is either an egotist, a liar or both). 

If you've learnt something from taking this shot, then you've not wasted it.  

Chris. 

• Like 1

As you say all part of learning. I'm not being hard on myself just amused at even bothering to try! It was fun seeing the F15s and a lovely day out, what more could you want?

At least you have something to remind you of the moment and as mentioned with digital there is always the opportunity to crop and unlike the old days you are not paying for every dot in the sky that looked a lot bigger in the viewfinder (first airshows using 'instamatic' film cartridges).     

From the look of it your camera focused on the lamp in the foreground which is always a problem but I quite often find that mine is reluctant to focus on distant aircraft in such a clear sky and that they have to be captured with the camera focussing on something more solid around the same distance away.

We get them up this way now and again heading up the east coast further north to the ranges at Tain or beyond and then heading back down again and there really is nothing quite like the way that a tennis court sized jet like the F-15 just sort of falls over in a turn and the howl as they maneuver.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:09 PM, Des said:

unlike the old days you are not paying for every dot in the sky that looked a lot bigger in the viewfinder (first airshows using 'instamatic' film cartridges).     

Lol ...... now that takes me back!

Q

Last time I was in Wenslydale was when the children were small. This was the days when there were more fast jets around and one day we were treated to the 'local' Tornado F3s engaged in air to air with some F16s When courting Mrs T and I often used to go up to that part of the world or on to the North York Moors and there used to be a lot of trade. Mainly Tornados, but also JPs and then Tucanos, Jaguars, Harriers, F15s and A10s. Happy days

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

When courting Mrs T and I often used to go up to that part of the world or on to the North York Moors and there used to be a lot of trade.

Too much information! 😳

Dave

• Haha 2

Trade in the aviation sense, not as  in the topic discussed in an episode of 'Car Share '.  And I thought I was prey to impure thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1