Execuform 1/72 Howard DGA 15

I’ve built quite a few vacuform kits over the past few years but never felt I had the skills needed to tackle an Execuform kit.  They offer many interesting subjects but are devoid of all detail, they are basically a blank canvas.  I decided to challenge myself with their 1/72 Howard DGA-15 kit.

lwJ08A0.jpg
oyUxDhe.jpg
NPCGekU.jpg

Read on for construction notes and photos…

The first big hurdle was cutting out the fuselage windows and windscreen opening.  There are no indications on the plastic parts to help with this.  The drawings included with the kit were a big help and I eventually pencilled in the shapes.  I cut them out by drilling a hole in the center of each marked area and then slowly carved the openings to shape with a sharp blade.
GfLXiD4.jpg

At this point I decided to experiment with a method involving clear casting epoxy and kapton tape to make the cabin windows.  I’d previously seen someone on one of the forums show how it was done but couldn’t find the thread.  No matter, the epoxy and tape were readily available from Amazon so I gave it a try and found that it works quite well!  The kapton tape is applied to the outside of the fuselage and the epoxy is poured into the window openings from the inside.  I put a perimeter of thin stretched sprue around each set of windows to act as a dam and put enough epoxy in so that it flowed out level.  In my first experiments I tried filling each window individually but it was hard to get the exact amount of epoxy in each one and any curvature of the inner surface resulted in an obvious optical distortion.  After the epoxy cures, pull off the tape and you’ll find perfectly flush windows!  Photo shows one of my early tests with a piece of scrap plastic, not bad except for a few air bubbles.
lQt2wn3.jpg

I made an interior based on photos found online, the seats were carved from basswood.
a4ngxRU.jpg

The next challenge was to replicate the fabric and stringer detail that Howards have on the lower rear fuselage.  I did it by glueing down lengths of stretched sprue and then covering it with multiple coats of Mr. Surfacer and sanding in between.
WXkpZ5F.jpg

I was able to use the kit parts to make the wheel pants but had to carve the legs from plastic sheet.
j0gwqoj.jpg

Time to tackle the windscreen.  I filled the kit’s vacuform windscreen with Durham’s Water Putty in order to make a master to form new ones over because I figured it was going to take me multiple tries to get it right.  The first one I made turned out to be too wide so I shaved down the sides of the master pattern and things fit pretty well after that, just lots of tedious trimming to get it to mate up to the fuselage.
lMgcrKQ.jpg
bGzbqPb.jpg

Pretty basic assembly, priming and painting after that.  I chose an existing modern aircraft to replicate since it had the standard Howard fuselage stripe and wheel pant design in black which I could print decals for on my home laser printer.  I drew them up in Photoshop and found the Howard logo for the tail online.
2zpBGF9.jpg
HMBPvUg.jpg
nonBzi3.jpg
5O9USUF.jpg

Definitely not the easiest vac I ever built and there are a few things that aren't quite right but I'm pretty happy with it!

Thanks for looking,

Dan

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dan Hayward said:

I’ve built quite a few vacuform kits over the past few years but never felt I had the skills needed to tackle an Execuform kit.  They offer many interesting subjects but are devoid of all detail, they are basically a blank canvas.  I decided to challenge myself with their 1/72 Howard DGA-15 kit.

lwJ08A0.jpg
oyUxDhe.jpg
NPCGekU.jpg

Read on for construction notes and photos…

The first big hurdle was cutting out the fuselage windows and windscreen opening.  There are no indications on the plastic parts to help with this.  The drawings included with the kit were a big help and I eventually pencilled in the shapes.  I cut them out by drilling a hole in the center of each marked area and then slowly carved the openings to shape with a sharp blade.
GfLXiD4.jpg

At this point I decided to experiment with a method involving clear casting epoxy and kapton tape to make the cabin windows.  I’d previously seen someone on one of the forums show how it was done but couldn’t find the thread.  No matter, the epoxy and tape were readily available from Amazon so I gave it a try and found that it works quite well!  The kapton tape is applied to the outside of the fuselage and the epoxy is poured into the window openings from the inside.  I put a perimeter of thin stretched sprue around each set of windows to act as a dam and put enough epoxy in so that it flowed out level.  In my first experiments I tried filling each window individually but it was hard to get the exact amount of epoxy in each one and any curvature of the inner surface resulted in an obvious optical distortion.  After the epoxy cures, pull off the tape and you’ll find perfectly flush windows!  Photo shows one of my early tests with a piece of scrap plastic, not bad except for a few air bubbles.
lQt2wn3.jpg

I made an interior based on photos found online, the seats were carved from basswood.
a4ngxRU.jpg

The next challenge was to replicate the fabric and stringer detail that Howards have on the lower rear fuselage.  I did it by glueing down lengths of stretched sprue and then covering it with multiple coats of Mr. Surfacer and sanding in between.
WXkpZ5F.jpg

I was able to use the kit parts to make the wheel pants but had to carve the legs from plastic sheet.
j0gwqoj.jpg

Time to tackle the windscreen.  I filled the kit’s vacuform windscreen with Durham’s Water Putty in order to make a master to form new ones over because I figured it was going to take me multiple tries to get it right.  The first one I made turned out to be too wide so I shaved down the sides of the master pattern and things fit pretty well after that, just lots of tedious trimming to get it to mate up to the fuselage.
lMgcrKQ.jpg
bGzbqPb.jpg

Pretty basic assembly, priming and painting after that.  I chose an existing modern aircraft to replicate since it had the standard Howard fuselage stripe and wheel pant design in black which I could print decals for on my home laser printer.  I drew them up in Photoshop and found the Howard logo for the tail online.
2zpBGF9.jpg
HMBPvUg.jpg
nonBzi3.jpg
5O9USUF.jpg

Definitely not the easiest vac I ever built and there are a few things that aren't quite right but I'm pretty happy with it!

Thanks for looking,

Dan

Fantastic build, congrats👏

Really nice build, never built an Execuform vacform (mine have all been Falcon, Rareplane, Maintrack etc) but looks 'fun'. A bit of a blank canvas to demonstrate your art on. 

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice job: reminiscent of a Moa build!

Funny you should mention that, I felt that I was channeling Moa while I was working on it!  I'm a fan of his work so I know I've still got a ways to go to reach his level though.  

-Dan

You've definitely made the most out of that little kit. You did an excellent job applying the yellow paint. That, for me, would have been something of a challenge.

8 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Great job:like:, I've not seen the tape method of making clear parts before so thanks for explaining how its done.

Pete

The key to that is the kapton tape.  I believe it has a silicone based adhesive that the epoxy will not adhere to.

Well done Dan.

Lovely build of a lovely aircraft. Admire the amount of work that went into it. Great modelling skills on show.

My dad owned one with a mate here in Oz but without the spats. It was yellow too. 

spacer.png

That's quite possibly me in the back.

That's really amazing work, Dan.  It's so clean and the transparencies are so clear and the paintwork (in a difficult colour) is just so.  It's especially impressive considering the origin in a simple vac kit.

Top marks!  😎