1:48 F-104G Starfighter - Luftwaffe Fighter-Bomber Squadron 34

1:48 F-104G Starfighter - Luftwaffe Fighter-Bomber Squadron 34

Gday my Britmodeller mates. To complement my recent F-104 Cockpit build, here's my latest project, the Kinetic (Gold) 1:48 scale F-104G Starfighter kit, fitted out as the Luftwaffe Fighter-Bomber Squadron 34.

This kit was really nice, lots of great detailed parts, PE and high quality decals included in the kit. I also added Eduard PE however, with some patience, you could easily get great detail with the cockpit as is. I also added the F-104 pilot from PJ Productions. After spending some time on the instrumentation behind the pilot I though it would be a shame to cover it so I decided to modify the cockpit rear section cover so it could be both closed and show the instrumentation.

Some pitfalls:

• The instructions were sometimes incomplete or misleading, especially the colour scheme but nothing that got in the way.
  • The dark grey for the splinter cammo scheme was far too dark and with the olive you could not easily notice the variation in colour so I used Ocean Grey instead.
  • I installed the front landing gear bay around the wrong way so had to be creative in how to install the landing gear correctly as it was far too late to cut it out by the time I realised - I know most of he highly skilled BMs would have been able to fix this !!
  • I also had to cut most of the pilots legs off so it could fit in the cockpit.

Hope you enjoy the pictures !

Cheers

JJ

Thanks for checking out the final build....

WIP is here:

Cheers

JJ

• Like 33

That’s outstanding, a fantastic build of a proper NATO classic. The display with patch and cockpit looks brilliant, like it should be in the crew room at Memmingen.

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That’s outstanding, a fantastic build

Cheers Lord Riot 

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

very nice Luftwaffe Starfighter!

Cheers mate

8 hours ago, F-32 said:

That's very cool

Thanks mate

7 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

How's he going to fly the plane with no legs

Hahaha, same way paraplegic people drive cars I guess - modified cockpit !! Good pilots in the Luftwaffe need to be retained !!

6 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

So, that's Sir Douglas Bader

Cheers Gary

• Haha 1