2 Group Support Unit 1944 - Help Please

BBRBOB

Does anyone have any documentation or photos of this unit please?  I've tried searching the web but I can't find much in the way of any detailed information on them or what they did - there is an ORB listed at the Records Office but it's not yet scanned so unavailable to me.  Photos are even rarer and I've not managed to find even one!  As the aircraft feeder unit for 2 Group I figure they prepared Mosquitos / Bostons / Mitchells for front line units.  Their base at Fersfield however seemed to have it's fair share of top secret missions going on at this time and I wonder if this is why there are so few phots of the other side of the base?  Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me. 

From RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912

No.2 Group Support Unit. 

Formed 1/4/44 out of 1482 Flight at Swanton Morley with 5 Boston, 6 Anson, 7 Martinet, 3 Hurricane.

14-17/12/44 Fersfield. (Not sure if this refers to a brief stay or period of movement. See below, probably the latter).

1/8/45 Became 2 Group Disbandment Centre.

Aircraft included Mitchell II, III (KJ605/F); Boston III (W8283); Mosquito TIII, FBVI (MM416); Oxford (V3570); Anson I (DJ105/C); Martinet TTI (HP357); Hurricane.

As for its role, there may be clues in the 1482 Flight history. It formed as a Target Towing flight in Nov 1941 from 2 Group Target Towing Flight, becoming a Bomber/Bombing Gunnery Flight in 1942.

So there are Martinets for target towing and Hurricanes to provide high speed targets for crews to practice against.

2Group Disbandment Centre was based at Fersfield between 1/8/45 and its disbandment on 31/12/45. Its purpose was “to receive units and their aircraft for disbandment after the war ended”. Aircraft included Wellington XIII (NC660); Mosquito BXVI (RV312); Mitchell III (KJ599); Mosquito FBVI (NS832); Anson XI  (NL245).

As for lack of photos, I’m not surprised. I doubt it is connected to any “secret” activity. This is not a front line unit. It was merely one of hundreds / thousands of secondary units that existed to keep the front line units flying. Really boring mundane stuff.

Hi, thanks for that info.  By secret I don't mean what the GSU was doing but the US flying their radio control B17s from there in Operation Aphrodite.  I think also it was where Mosquitos launched from for Operation Carthage across to Denmark.  I can't see cameras being very welcome on base whilst they were there.  I'd love to get the ORB but have no idea how big it is or when it will be scanned.  The reason I am asking is that I had an Uncle who was an armourer in the RAF and was assigned to 2 GSU (GDC) between  04/44 and 12/45. 

The online Mosquito fates lists give the following aircraft whose last unit was 2 Group Support Unit, cause, date.

HJ783 FB.VI series I Accident 1944-05    
HP848 FB.VI Accident 1944-08    
HR178 FB.VI Accident 1945-02    
HX913 FB.VI Accident 1944-07    
HX972 FB.VI Accident 1944-05    
LR271 FB.VI Accident 1944-08    
LR535 T.III Accident 1944-10    
MM416 FB.VI Sold 1947-06    
NS891 FB.VI Accident 1945-01    
NS904 FB.VI Sold 1947-09    
NT133 FB.VI Sold 1947-10    
PZ291 FB.VI Accident 1944-12 Exercise 'Peashooter' an army co-operation exercise