ZVEZDA 1:48 IL-2 single seater

Hello again!

This is my latest creation. The ZVEZDA kit may be the best IL-2 single seater kit in 1:48 so far, but it's a delicate and hastily concieved kit that really should have been thought out more thoroughly. The kit features a lovely full engine that one needs to glue inside the fuselage in order to glue the exhaust stacks from the outside. By removing a panel or two one can barely catch a glimpse of it. The flaps have a nasty seam line across them because the fuselage and bottom wings connect there and the cannon barrels are too thin etc...

Anyway it's finally done. I did some minor modification with simulating fasteners on the wings and engine cowling, as well as glueing some tape over the flaps. The cockpit was really adequate OOB, especially when one puts the very nice pilot figure in it.

It was painted with Revell, Akan and Vallejo acrylics.

Early IL-2s were boring. So I chose to depict an anonymous aircraft with the worn winter camouflage. Those always look cool.

Enjoy it!

il5.jpg

il6.jpg

il7.jpg

il4.jpg

il3.jpg

il1.jpg

Ofc. it all depends of the light. Here it looks just bleak and unasuming.

il2.jpg

Josip

Edited by Josip
grammar
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

This is really nice.  I am wondering why it is painted in winter camo when the pilot is wearing shorts.  But the camo is well worn so it could be a warm day in the spring, or the unit deployed south.  Anyway I really love the camo job you have done, it really looks the part.  And thanks for your impressions of the kit, I might have to pick one up.

Very nice model, especially the winter camo.

The IL-2 is one of the most important aircraft of WW2, in numbers built and in the battlefield, unfortunately it is always underrepresented in modelling.

Anyone building WW2 aircraft should have one in their collection.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, VolkerR. said:

Very nice model, especially the winter camo.

The IL-2 is one of the most important aircraft of WW2, in numbers built and in the battlefield, unfortunately it is always underrepresented in modelling.

Anyone building WW2 aircraft should have one in their collection.

Luckily I have two. This one and the late two seater from ACM with resin propeller and spinner. It was also posted here and is much more interesting. 

Josip

• Like 1

There is something so attractive about very ugly utilitarian aircraft. The Faireys Barracuda and Gannett, the K.u.k. Aviatik B.II, this brute and much more. 

You have done her justice with great honour for such an important type; many a long night poring over the humungous Komissarov Il-2/10 tome gave me an enormous respect for Il crews.

Well done.

Edited by Major Flannel
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Major Flannel said:

There is something so attractive about very ugly utilitarian aircraft. The Faireys Barracuda and Gannett, the K.u.k. Aviatik B.II, this brute and much more. 

You have done her justice with great honour for such an important type; many a long night poring over the humungous Komissarov Il-2/10 tome gave me an enormous respect for Il crews.

Well done.

Thank you. Actually I think that IL-2 isn't really an ugly looking airplane. This one actually looks nicely proportioned and thought out, at least to my eyes. 

Josip 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Great looking Il-2. I just hope Zevzda give us a straight winged two seater as well.

Looking at the breakdown of the parts, I believe we'll be getting both versions of the Il-2 two-seater, both the straight-winged and 'arrow' versions.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Looking at the breakdown of the parts, I believe we'll be getting both versions of the Il-2 two-seater, both the straight-winged and 'arrow' versions.

Regards,

Jason

Lets hope we do.

• Like 1

Mind you, there's nothing wrong with Tamiya kit. It has the best surface details of them all. This Zvezda kit has petite panel lines. It's too neat for a Soviet warplanes. On the wings they were almost invisible. 

Edited by Josip
  • Like 1

I'll agree that the Tamiya arrow in 1/48th scale is a fine kit, perhaps the best Il-2 kit overall. This Zvezda kit gives it some serious competition, although it is a different version. It will be interesting to compare the Tamiya kit with the Zvezda arrow, if they come out with one.

Regards,

Jason

Tamiya will win because of more robust look and true to original surface details. It has hinges on the access panels etc. When I did my ACM two seater, I had to replicate all those details that Tamiya already had OOB. Not to mention the ease of assembly. 

Edited by Josip

1 hour ago, Josip said:

Tamiya will win because of more robust look and true to original surface details. It has hinges on the access panels etc. When I did my ACM two seater, I had to replicate all those details that Tamiya already had OOB. Not to mention the ease of assembly. 

I would love for Tamiya to do a straight winged two seater, but the chance of that is close to zero, so Zevzda ( if we do get it ) will do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I just hope Zevzda give us a straight winged two seater as well.

Eduard did a unique boxing the Accurate Miniatures kit  which was a straight wing 2 seater,  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-8165-il-2m-shturmovik--100932

but that was ages ago and is probably now a 'collectors item' but it just used the single seater straight wing with 2 seater arrow fuselage.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Josip said:

ACM did the whole line. Their common weakness was totally wrong spinner and propeller.

Did they? I didn't know they did a straight winged two seater or a single seater with a wooden fueslage or a single seater with field modded rear gunner?

I've got Vector props for my AM Il-2's

EDIT

I don't recall a metal fuselaged Arrow or a wooden winged single or two-seater from them either?

26 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Eduard did a unique boxing the Accurate Miniatures kit  which was a straight wing 2 seater,  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-8165-il-2m-shturmovik--100932

but that was ages ago and is probably now a 'collectors item' but it just used the single seater straight wing with 2 seater arrow fuselage.

Thanks I didn't know that and I missed out there, I'm not paying a lot of money for one, hopefully Zvezda will come through.