Churchill's Taxi - AZ 1/72 Fieseler Fi 156C "Storch"

12 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

This looks like it’s coming together nicely Alistair. What glue do you use to get the canopy together?

Craig. 

Thanks Craig,

I use Formula 560 Canopy glue for parts like this where there's a risk of fogging. It's a PVA based glue used for R/C Canopies. It takes a wee while to go off which is why it took so long to get it in one piece.

For fixing to the fuselage I'll use Jewellers G-S Hypo Cement which dries completely clear as well but will give a stronger bond.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great progress, Alistair, and the canopy looks great! I need to get some of that Formula 560 :)

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

It's good stuff. A bit runny but gives a fairly good bond once it starts cooking.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

GS-Hypo applied and the canopy is on.

Some Krystal Klear applied to gaps for blending.

hTyECHG.jpg

8kn2xbn.jpg

ePz30yV.jpg

Phew, got lucky as it seems to have worked reasonably well.

Once the PVA has cured a tad I'll see about getting some paint on.

Then I'll have to think about how I'm going to get all those fiddly bits on.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job Alistair , phew glad that all went together well.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Big sigh of relief at this end.

Now I'm staring at the destructions trying to decide how I go about fitting all those fiddly strutty things.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Craig,

I use Formula 560 Canopy glue for parts like this where there's a risk of fogging. It's a PVA based glue used for R/C Canopies. It takes a wee while to go off which is why it took so long to get it in one piece.

For fixing to the fuselage I'll use Jewellers G-S Hypo Cement which dries completely clear as well but will give a stronger bond.

Sorry, I seem to have developed some sort of fixation on this when I should be enjoying the quality of your work. If the G-S Hypo Cement gives a stronger bond, why didn’t you use it for the entire cockpit? 

I’ll shut up soon, honest. 

Craig. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Now that's a short take off run.

There's the famous story of Eric Brown landing one on a carrier's deck - correction, he landed it on the carrier's after lift!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Sorry, I seem to have developed some sort of fixation on this when I should be enjoying the quality of your work. If the G-S Hypo Cement gives a stronger bond, why didn’t you use it for the entire cockpit? 

I’ll shut up soon, honest. 

Craig. 

Hi Craig.

It's not water based and can get a bit stringy which if they fall on the canopy can be a nightmare to get off as you have to use acetone which doesn't play well with styrene whereas the 560 can be cleaned off with water.

I'm fairly uncoordinated and heavy handed so this is the easy way for me.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

There's the famous story of Eric Brown landing one on a carrier's deck - correction, he landed it on the carrier's after lift!

Yes I believe that all that had to happen was the wings were folded and the lift lowered. I believe that if the wind is strong enough that you can land them going backwards.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Chris,

Big sigh of relief at this end.

Now I'm staring at the destructions trying to decide how I go about fitting all those fiddly strutty things.

Cheers,

Alistair

Eeek! Got that to look forward to..... :rofl2:

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

On 7/4/2021 at 2:54 PM, AliGauld said:

It's not water based and can get a bit stringy which if they fall on the canopy can be a nightmare to get off as you have to use acetone which doesn't play well with styrene whereas the 560 can be cleaned off with water.

I'm fairly uncoordinated and heavy handed so this is the easy way for me.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, it does indeed. I can feel a couple of purchases coming on. Easily disguiseable thankfully.

On 7/4/2021 at 1:30 PM, AliGauld said:

I have every confidence that your struttery will be immaculate. 

Craig.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Do you think they will look OK with a six inch nail holding each one in.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

I can feel a couple of purchases coming on. Easily disguiseable thankfully.

+1!!!

+1!!! Struttin' yer stuff ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

I primed the Storch up last night with white primer.

It's the lazy man's technique to save on time for Invasion Stripes and I'm not sure what went wrong.

The paint didn't look right going down and on getting home from work some of it is still damp.

It's Tamiya acrylic so shouldn't take this long.

I'm thinking I've got a dodgy pot.

It's getting lobbed in the bin and I'll strip the paint back tonight after I've cuddled and caressed my new Vulcan that arrived today although I think it's already been claimed.

d8KZ76y.jpg

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

+1!!! Struttin' yer stuff ;)

Cheers,

Mark

My days of walking down the pavement like a refugee from a Bee Gees convention are long gone I think. 🤣

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

My days of walking down the pavement like a refugee from a Bee Gees convention are long gone I think. 🤣

Cheers,

Alistair

Mine, too, I fear: I have enough trouble just staying alive ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 6

44 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Do you think they will look OK with a six inch nail holding each one in.

That’s just making use of innovative materials in your modelling. 

18 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Get yourself a pair of trousers a couple of sizes too small and not only will you be struttin’ your stuff like the Bee Gees, you’ll be singing like them as well. 

Craig. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

I primed the Storch up last night with white primer.

It's the lazy man's technique to save on time for Invasion Stripes and I'm not sure what went wrong.

The paint didn't look right going down and on getting home from work some of it is still damp.

It's Tamiya acrylic so shouldn't take this long.

I'm thinking I've got a dodgy pot.

It's getting lobbed in the bin and I'll strip the paint back tonight after I've cuddled and caressed my new Vulcan that arrived today although I think it's already been claimed.

d8KZ76y.jpg

Cheers,

Alistair 

What a RPITA about the paint, Alistair; I'm sure you'll have it sorted out in no time, though :)

I'd definitely say the Vulcan has a new owner! What's his/her name? BTW, did you see @Seamus' post on @Adam Poultney's thread with the short shot floor?

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

What a RPITA about the paint, Alistair; I'm sure you'll have it sorted out in no time, though :)

I'd definitely say the Vulcan has a new owner! What's his/her name? BTW, did you see @Seamus' post on @Adam Poultney's thread with the short shot floor?

Cheers,

Mark

The paint can be easily sorted.

I saw the posts about that and immediately got him off the box. I had to suffer some language that would have made a sailor blush but checked them all against the pics in Mike's review and all mine look ok.

Put the sprues back in the box and he climbed back on with a look that means I'm going to have to watch my toes in bed tonight.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 6