Decalling canopies

wombat

So, rather than faff with masking a hurricane canopy, I’m trying the opposite approach - I’ve painted up clear decal sheet with the requisite colours and am trying to cut that into strips and lay it on. The first shift seemed to go ok but come the second shift48 hours later, I find the decals from the first shift still loose and shifting especially if they get wet. I’ve never had this problem after more than an hour or so with “normal” decals so what might it be?

could be the clear decal sheet itself I suppose?

I can’t say I ever had that problem. I did always dip the canopy in Klear first and then used Microsol to get the decals snuggled down. It’s been a while since I last used decals for canopy framing though, and I can’t remember which brand of decal I used. Probably something from Hannants. 

Decal glue does not always work well on bare plastic, reason why if  I plan on using decals on a canopy I always dip this in Klear. At that point you'll have a painted surface on which decals will stick much better.

One other way to sort your problem is to lay small quantities of gloss clear paint under the decal strip you're applying, so that the paint will act as a glue keeping the stripe in place