Duxford's First Air-Show of 2021 - "Restrictions"

spruecutter96

Evening, All. 

Just been reading the conditions of attending the first DX full-on air-show for this year (I'm simply disregarding the regular "Air Days" here - they are a different subject matter, altogether). 

I fully understand the reasons for these measures, but - I'm sorry - I really don't believe that DX are providing £47.50 (Adult ticket £42.50 + 5 quid parking-fee) of genuine "entertainment value". I would like to attend one or both of the DX airshows this year, but have a feeling it's just not gonna happen. 

1. No entry to ANY building on-site. This is the real deal-breaker for me. I would really love to have a good walk around the American Air Museum and Airspace, among others. This rule will HUGELY reduce the value of the day. As I said, I fully understand why the management have stipulated this condition. There will apparently be a number of museum exhibits, normally under cover, which will be outside over the weekend. There will also be a number of re-enactors in each zone. I'm not too sure if this will really compensate for the banning of entry to hangars and other buildings. 

2. When you book your ticket, you have to also book yourself into one of three zones on the airfield. You will not be able to move outside of your booked zone. This is a MAJOR pain-in-the whatsit. What if you are really looking forward to visiting a trader that just happens to be in a different zone? Well, you're very much out-of-luck, my friend. This will also have a major knock-on effect in how much money the attending traders will make (DX is a VERY expensive airshow to trade at). Poor returns and high trading-fees will inevitably result in fewer traders turning up in subsequent years and a reduced experience for the punters. DX management should take notice of this - for me, it is a major issue. Could they not publish a list of which traders will be in each zone...?  Let's hope the over-priced watch traders and expensive fudge stalls can fill the gaps.

3. I've just watched England beat Germany. There were 42,000 fans in Wembley Stadium and - from what I saw - almost no-one in the crowd was wearing a mask. Are we really meant to believe that attending an air-show is a more dangerous event than this was? I REALLY have my doubts. But, of course, there are very substantial amounts of money generated by a major footie-match. Not nearly as much money involved in staging an air-show.... Call me cynical, if you will (?).

4. The Weather. That is a major question-mark hanging over any outdoor event during the British Summertime. That could REALLY throw a huge spanner in the works. Let's hope it behaves itself over the weekend. It was dreadful for the last DX air-show I attended in 2019. I left the museum at about 1:00pm, after getting a little tired of the rain and windy conditions. This year, it looks like the audience can't even go inside and shelter from the rain, if required. Understandable, but a real shame at the same time.   

Anyway, I'll leave this with my fellow BM'ers. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 2

Well, I've got a 'free' ticket for Saturdays 'Flying Day' thanks to having my Premier Memership of the IWM extended.  I was contemplating attending one of the two shows this year( IF they actually happen at Duxford)  but they must be having a laugh, not allowing visitors to enter any building and restricted movement once they're there.

Whatt the heck is the IWM thinking?

Sheesh,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny
Corrected the name of Saturday's event at DX

Thanks for your comment, Jonny.

I have a suspicion that the DX management might be extremely wary of being sued by someone who claims to have contracted Covid at their airshow (stranger things have happened!). What puzzles me is how you could prove that you definitely got it at the venue? Surely that would not be possible?

Duxford would probably have to answer a "contributory negligence" charge, at the least. My mind is genuinely boggling on this one...

Chris. 

No, it's not ideal. But they're just trying to get something up and running in the face of current government instructions and guidelines. And recoup some badly needed funds. No-one is 'having a laugh'. 

• Like 3

Thing is, no-one's forcing anyone to go, so if you don't like the restrictions, keep your 'and in your pocket and don't go :shrug:

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

Thing is, no-one's forcing anyone to go, so if you don't like the restrictions, keep your 'and in your pocket and don't go :shrug:

Fair points, Mike and IanC.  But it seems rather draconian to impose the restrictions that Spruecutter96 has outlined.  The almost tragic thing is, our new SoS seems to be promising to cancel most Covid restrictions *before* the show (not that Duxford could have known this when formulating the entry restrictions). DX (and the whole IWM) must be almosr desperate for income from the public.

Sadly, I shall indeed be keeping my " 'and in my pocket ".  Here's hoping the BoB show will be more relaxed.

The restrictions are likely to have been imposed, probably by public liability insurance firms.

There was a post earlier this year regarding the IPMS Bolton show and the long list of requirements they were given to be able to run the show there.

No doubt people would have tried to blame the club if they went ahead and ran the show with these requirements.

Hallo

Basically, you have to keep in mind that it's nice that an airshow takes place.

The fact that we have a pandemic that is still present needs to be taken into account.

There will only be a recovery this summer.

For now, if you think it is possible to go about life without rules, just remember Portugal.

I don't know the British rules in detail.

Here at my home we have access rules.

It's about checking whether visitors pose a low or high pandemic risk.

This is exactly the chance to have a moderate life.

Any organizer who does not adhere to such rules meticulously can expect high liability claims.

If you don't like rules, you should stay at home.

Flying and safety rules is one.

I think the decision in Duxford is brave and a lightbeam for the future!

Happy modelling

• Like 1

One factor here is who will be attending. Your average family will probably be mildly ticked-off about not being able to walk around any hangar or other building, but it will not ruin their day. The hardcore aviation-enthusiasts will be very ticked-off and will express their feelings on-line (I would put myself in this category). 

I would take an educated guess that families will out-number the aviation fans by about 4-to-1. I guess that sometimes you simply have to keep the majority happy and not worry too much about the rest.... This seems to be the attitude of the DX management, from where I'm sitting.

Chris.  

There's no point in listing the Wembley match as a counter-example: the government has a deliberate policy of trialling a very limited number of examples, strictly controlled as to entry, particularly those of wide public interest (the British GP at Silverstone is another yet to come).  I don't think that anyone can argue that the Wembley match was just such an example, much more so than any airshow.  They (not just the politicians at the centre) are then checking for outbreaks of Covid that can be linked to these events - so far no such effect has been found.  Thankfully.  This system of limited trials does not in itself seem unreasonable.

You may think, as I do, that the choice of these events, and the behaviour of the public at them, shows a depressing low level of human appreciation of what is meant by "pandemic".  However it does follow a reasonably logical approach and given that the huge majority of less-popular events simply cannot yet be allowed at the same level of care, whinging about "my favourite thing" is frankly a pain in the proverbial.  Nobody likes these restrictions.  Nobody actually likes their relatives and friends dying, either.

As with many events this year, my mindset is, "It's better than nothing". I've already managed two motor sport events (better already than last year) and I'm happy to just get out again. I should be able to take in a couple of airshows too and that will also be a marked improvement on 2020.

None of these events are trying to make life difficult for anyone: just trying to abide by local regulations and also maybe recoup some of the lost business they've had. I can't disagree with either. 

So as with anything, you takes yer choice and if you don't like it then don't attend.

51 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

They (not just the politicians at the centre) are then checking for outbreaks of Covid that can be linked to these events - so far no such effect has been found.  Thankfully.  This system of limited trials does not in itself seem unreasonable

Considering that a number of people could easily die after these events, I think of it as extremely unreasonable. The government is playing Russian-roulette with peoples' lives and I believe it's a VERY poor reflection on them. Having said that, the government allowed Covid to tear through old-folks homes like a wild-fire and it looks like they have simply got away with that. We live in a very strange world. 

Chris. 

2 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Considering that a number of people could easily die after these events, I think of it as extremely unreasonable. The government is playing Russian-roulette with peoples' lives and I believe it's a VERY poor reflection on them. Having said that, the government allowed Covid to tear through old-folks homes like a wild-fire and it looks like they have simply got away with that. We live in a very strange world. 

Chris. 

I think we'd better leave that aspect there Chris, as that could go down a route we don't want :fraidnot:

Sorry, Mike. I do appreciate that this sort of comment is not always appreciated on BM. I feel pretty strongly about the subject, as I recently found out that a friend's wife died from Covid. I will endeavour to be a lot less political in the future. 

Chris.  

I attended to England cricket ODI yesterday, which was also a test event. Proof of double jab was required to gain entry, and this was brilliantly handled by Durham CCC with no delays whatsoever at the gate. Masks were also required when out and about around the ground, but not required once seated. Suspect the same rules were in play at Wembley. I guess that’s the difference between these test events and the likes of Duxford. I wonder if they could apply for test event status and check everybody upon entry to the airfield? It’s pretty easy to do with the NHS app. SD

A few points which came out of the volunteer briefing this morning:

First, the plan had to be as near 100% deliverable as possible because they could not be in a situation of using lots of resources and then cancelling again at the last minute. They do realise that there is some dissatisfaction with what can be delivered but the reality is it's on the weekend after restrictions may (only may) be lifted and planning takes time.

Second, the restrictions came about because of what they were allowed to do by the council - I assume South Cambs. So don't blame DX staff for the restrictions. 

Also, as stated on the website refreshments and retail will be accessible in each zone; I'm not sure if that includes the usual book sellers, model stalls, sun hat vendors etc.

The flight line will be divided into 3 separate areas, they will try to balance out each of the 3 flight lines but if you are in Blue then you can only access the Blue flight line.

It's clear that the staff on site have worked very hard to get even this far and are desperate to let the visitors as good an experience as possible. 

It is what it is and fingers crossed for September.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 11:41 PM, spruecutter96 said:

As of Saturday 17/7/21, it looks like most of the proposed restrictions at the Duxford airshow have now been removed, as per DX's official site. Happy days!

Chris. 

Well given the age range of most airshow visitors the only Delta variant will be in the air. 😂

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Well given the age range of most airshow visitors the only Delta variant will be in the air.

Not too sure what this means.... Can you elaborate, please? 

Chris. 

Most older people are fully vaccinated and are we not  the generation who love an airshow the most? In any case the Typhoon is a Delta surely? 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1